Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new 05 gixxer 600 2 weeks ago. Yesterday was the first chance to really take it out and put some miles on it (183). Until yesterday I had been mainly riding around by myself and taking it easy. Yesterday I rode with a buddy and probably rode at the top end of my abilities, one corner in particular made me wake up and smell the coffee. I had to get on the brakes really hard once and I locked up the back tire in the process (85 -> 0). I'm glad it happened because it was a good reality check to use that front brake more.

Any way, after the heavy breaking incident I noticed my rear brake would squeal when I would first press it every time for the rest of the day.

I haven't gone riding today yet but wondered if I had messed up the rear brake some how. I looked at the pads while still mounted on the bike and it looks like I still have plenty of pad. I noticed there's no squealer on the pads like a car would have.

I have to take the bike in for it's 600 mile check up in another 170 miles or so but didn't want to wait that long if I toasted the brakes.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
My brakes squealed for a while on my bike, it was brand new. It finally just went away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
More than likely its just brake dust on the pads or it can be the pads breaking in. I put new pads on my 99 750 and it did the same thing for a little while than just went away. so i really wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have an 02 1000 with the stock pads still on the rear and after nearly 10,000 miles they still squeel until good and warm. My buddy has a 03 and it did the same thing until he went with after market pads.
I dont think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
mine squaked when i first got it for a month or 2...then it stopped and now its back again...pretty normal, and most likely brake dust as stated earlier.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
IF they are new and you have never used them before really, the severe braking probalby glazed them, with use it will go away

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That must have been it. With another 100 miles on the bike, the squeal is a distant memory.

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.