Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced all brake pads on my 04 gsxr 600 and they are still squeeling when i stop at a light.

The rear is worse than the front, but the front kinda does it too.

Do i need to get new rotors? How can I tell if I'm getting a good used rotor and I won't continue to have this problem? Just buy new?

Any help is great, thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
A very easy way to get your brakes to stop squealing is to use them. Hard. Very very hard. (Note - this does not apply to the rear brake) Seriously, get going about 60 mph and stop as fast/hard as you can a few times. If they still squeal after that then there is a bigger problem.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
pretty sure if you follow that advice you wont be on the bike anymore :funny:
Sorry but Chango is correct it will stop it.... I am pretty sure that he is not telling the OP to loop his ride... In fact

"A very easy way to get your brakes to stop squealing is to use them. Hard. Very very hard. (Note - this does not apply to the rear brake) Seriously, get going about 60 mph and stop as fast/hard as you can a few times. If they still squeal after that then there is a bigger problem. "

This works!:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
I guess I should clarify. Don't lock up the brakes. Don't do a stoppie. Don't endo the bike. Don't wreck at all. Just use the front brakes harder than you usually do a few times and they will stop squealing.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Did you prep the rotors first, before you changed the pads? That's more than likely your problem. You're trying to bed new pads on rotors with old pad material...now why would you want to do that :headscrat. Not only are you not allowing the new material a clean surface to bed into, you're also damaging the new brake pads by unevenly wearing into them with old brake pad material which will decrease the bite of the new pad. Remove the new pads and lightly sand them on a FLAT surface. Then bead blast or wetsand your rotors, emory cloth will work but I've never used it. You'll finally have clean pads to work on clean rotors.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what brand/model brake pads did you get?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EBC HH pads.

I need to do the pads / rotor cleaning and sanding thing. Didn't have a clue about that until reading around a little bit and the responses here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.