Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s up people’s! Obviously new here found this forum on google lol looking to get some knowledge and just talk with people about gsxr’s and bikes in general. I’ve never in my life rode a motorcycle, so I bought a 2013 gsxr 600 last week and now here I am. Do plan on taking that safety course and just taking it easy, ive got all my gear and been practicing around the neighborhood, seems like it came natural to ride I’m getting the hang of things and of course respecting the bike. Any who Whats good y’all?!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Welcome. The steed looks nice and shiny. Please try and keep her that way :)

Even though it’s “only” a 600, it is a lot of 2 wheeled power for a noob. Keep her under 6000rpm for now. Above that you can get into big trouble really quickly.

Definitely recommend taking training courses. If you can, and when you can, I’d also recommend a track based road skills training course once you have the hang of it. I’m NOT suggesting you should book a regular track day just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I’ve never in my life rode a motorcycle, so I bought a 2013 gsxr 600
If that said gsxr 1000 I'd say "famous last words" but at least you kept it to a 600. I hope for the best.

·
Super Moderator
8,889 Posts
Welcome and nice looking bike! Where are you located?

Taking the MSF beginner course is a great start and while you are waiting, check out the "Twist of the Wrist" book and video. You can find both pretty reasonable on Amazon.

Reactions: New2Street

·
Premium Member
9,218 Posts
Welcome to the R!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
SuperMod of the North
25,775 Posts
Great looking bike. Welcome, good job on the gear. That is important. Enjoy the site.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome To the world of riding. I’d like to suggest a dirt bike to help hone those new skills. 600 has a lot of power.
my first street was a 68 Honda CL90. Remember anyone can pull the throttle. It’s what happens after that that matters.
👊👊

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
What’s up people’s! Obviously new here found this forum on google lol looking to get some knowledge and just talk with people about gsxr’s and bikes in general. I’ve never in my life rode a motorcycle, so I bought a 2013 gsxr 600 last week and now here I am. Do plan on taking that safety course and just taking it easy, ive got all my gear and been practicing around the neighborhood, seems like it came natural to ride I’m getting the hang of things and of course respecting the bike. Any who Whats good y’all?! View attachment 293490
Welcome sir. The “I’ve never ridden a motorcycle in my life” has me a bit worried but I’m an optimist so as long as you Respect that beautiful machine you’ll be fine. Just keep in mind that you’re riding a race bike with lights on it and it’s really easy to get over confident on one bc they are so much fun.

My advice to you.

Def take the MSF course.
Steer clear of the rear brake until you master all of the other controls.
Buy quality gear..gloves are really important bc so are your hands.
Leave the testosterone at home. Don’t try to keep up with your buddies in the street it isn’t worth it.
Track days are a great environment to learn to ride better safely once you are comfortable on the bike.

Best of luck and God Bless.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hell yea loving the feed back! I’m being super cautious and respecting the bike. As soon as this covid thing is over I’m taking whatever courses I need to take. The little I do ride is so therapeutic dealing with ptsd riding helps a whole lot! Anyone in here in the from Northern California?

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Yes indeed it’s called “Wind Therapy” and it’s proven. If you’re a veteran thank you for your service!

Your name is awesome btw.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'd advise going to an empty parking lot & do a bit of maneuvering. Stop & go ; maneuvering around obstacles.

I find the rear brake offer better control at low speeds than the front brake. Learn what works for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes indeed it’s called “Wind Therapy” and it’s proven. If you’re a veteran thank you for your service!

Your name is awesome btw.

lol yea a lot of people say gsxr’s have a distinct sound similar to a goose an angry goose that is

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome and nice looking bike! Where are you located?

Taking the MSF beginner course is a great start and while you are waiting, check out the "Twist of the Wrist" book and video. You can find both pretty reasonable on Amazon.
Northern California (Roseville to be exact)

·
Super Moderator
8,889 Posts
Northern California (Roseville to be exact)
It looks like you have some nice riding near you. I've only been to that area once but really enjoyed the railway museum during the visit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
1st thing. Happy for you man! Always glad to see another brother on 2 wheels.
2nd thing. Bike is beautiful, hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
3rd thing. Everyone here only cares about two things, and that thing is you being safe and you learning. We want you to be a safe and successful rider, get tons of enjoyment, and learn, learn, learn. Please know that you bought yourself a certified missile. and for an inexperienced rider, that can be extremely dangerous. I saw one comment that said keep 'er below 6k rpms, and he's right, you probably don't want to break 6 grand for a year. It's going to be hard because it's like holding back a caged bear, but just remember something I tell myself every day I ride. You look cooler riding your bike slow and responsibly than you do in a ditch, in an ambulance, or a hospital bed.

Once again, I couldn't be happier for you man. thanks for introducing yourself, Be safe out there

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1st thing. Happy for you man! Always glad to see another brother on 2 wheels.
2nd thing. Bike is beautiful, hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
3rd thing. Everyone here only cares about two things, and that thing is you being safe and you learning. We want you to be a safe and successful rider, get tons of enjoyment, and learn, learn, learn. Please know that you bought yourself a certified missile. and for an inexperienced rider, that can be extremely dangerous. I saw one comment that said keep 'er below 6k rpms, and he's right, you probably don't want to break 6 grand for a year. It's going to be hard because it's like holding back a caged bear, but just remember something I tell myself every day I ride. You look cooler riding your bike slow and responsibly than you do in a ditch, in an ambulance, or a hospital bed.

Once again, I couldn't be happier for you man. thanks for introducing yourself, Be safe out there
thank you for keeping solid with me, and your right i rather be suited and booted and respect the bike rather than being in a ditch or worse dead. I’m not gonna fall under that “squid” category I’d rather enjoy my bike for years to come and keep safe.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome. Nice looking bike, we have almost the same color scheme. Good for you and gear. I started off on mini bikes and enduro's as a kid. It wasn't until I was in my 50's that I got my first street bike, a Ninja 250. (Thus my name, New2Street). I'm glad I started on the 250, because at 150lbs, my 600 barely knows I'm on it!! Power starts at about 6,000 RPMs, and around 10-11,000 on up the bike becomes the rocket that leaves the coyote dropping off the back and landing on the street. You'd better hold on. Be safe, take course's, wear your gear so you can ride and chat another day! Have fun. This is a great site to educate yourself on!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts