Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who was riding his 1994 gsxr 750 and the chain broke. So, instead of breaking down and buying a new chain he wanted to repair the old one. He was riding it with the tire all the way back and it still had slack causing the breaking. When repairing it we broke off the damaged link with a chain braker and reconnected fit perfect, about half way through the notches on the chain indicater marks. We had to press the links back together with channel locks and vice grips while on the sprockets. My question is has anyone did this before and the chain not come off where the chain was pressed back together. We press it all the way on with the head of the pins showing & when tighting the chain back up he thought the tension would help hold the link on. Do they press the chains at the dealer on new bikes? :headscrat

P.S I would have just went to the dealer, bought a new chain, and let them deal with it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
What???

I would NOT take a chance with a "repaired" chain. :headshake I am no expert BUT the chain and sprockets should be replaced at the same time. That I do know. These bikes have too much power and put alot of stress on certain parts of the bike. A "repaired" chain is like using used oil in your bike. A definate NO NO!!! :headshake

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
that is just retarded. He needs a new chain, if that link falls off then he might get a chain going into his motor.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Repair a broken chain :headscrat . That's crazy!!! Tell him I got some DOT 4 blinker fluid if he needs some :laughingr . If he is that cheap, I'll sell him my old 520 DID ERV2 for $50 and it's damn near spotless.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you da man said:
Repair a broken chain :headscrat . That's crazy!!! Tell him I got some DOT 4 blinker fluid if he needs some :laughingr . If he is that cheap, I'll sell him my old 520 DID ERV2 for $50 and it's damn near spotless.
Still got to be pressed on!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only damage the chain had was the link that was removed, the rest of the chain is in great shape. The only question was the pressing the link back together. The dealer presses the chain together on a new bike before you buy it. If not they would have to take bike apart. I do not think they take bike apart since it comes wiht the major parts already attached. They probably have a pocket presser to put chain together. We did not have one so we improvised. After the link was put back on we flattened the pins that went through the link holes, which should make it impossible to come off. I saw him riding yesterday, so time will tell.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
I believe most new generation sportbikes (within the last 3-4 yrs) have rivet links, not clip links. Clip links have a tendency to fail way more than a rivet link. Matter of fact, I've never heard of the actual rivet link failing. If a chain with a rivet link broke, it was somewhere on the chain but not related to the master link. You can safety wire the clip master link, it's simple to do and only takes a few minutes. By the way, the chain is already on new bikes out of the crate, there's very, very little for a dealer to prep sportbikes from crate to buyer other than getting it "wet", windscreen, mirrors, clip-ons, top triple nut, and securing clutch cable to the lever. Takes more time to bust it out of the crate than to prep it. The most time consuming part of getting a bike ready for a buyer is test riding and double checking everything is functioning.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you da man said:
I believe most new generation sportbikes (within the last 3-4 yrs) have rivet links, not clip links. Clip links have a tendency to fail way more than a rivet link. Matter of fact, I've never heard of the actual rivet link failing. If a chain with a rivet link broke, it was somewhere on the chain but not related to the master link. You can safety wire the clip master link, it's simple to do and only takes a few minutes. By the way, the chain is already on new bikes out of the crate, there's very, very little for a dealer to prep sportbikes from crate to buyer. Takes more time to bust it out of the crate than to prep it. The most time consuming part of getting a bike ready for a buyer is test riding and double checking everything is functioning.
When purchasing a new chain and dealer/mechanic puts it on how? masterlink? Press?
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there was a master link on his chain. Distinguish between rivet & clip. The chain he's got has links with a circle on each end where the pins go through. The pins will not slide in the holes freely, has to be forced or pressed. Pins are smooth with no rivets in them or clips on them. I know what the clip links look like; was going to try that but pins were not long enough to go all the way through, they have clips that snaps down in the rivets on the pins.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Tech friends of mine at dealerships use an impact gun to secure a rivet link. Rivet link has two hollow pins that uses a press or impact gun to spread the pin to secure it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you da man said:
Tech friends of mine at dealerships use an impact gun to secure a rivet link. Rivet link has two hollow pins that uses a press or impact gun to spread the pin to secure it.
That is what he had, but we pressed it with channel locks and flattened the end of the pins with by slight tapping of hammer, careful not to dammage sprocket. :thumbup:

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
2005gsxr said:
That is what he had, but we pressed it with channel locks and flattened the end of the pins with by slight tapping of hammer, careful not to dammage sprocket. :thumbup:
No offense bro but I would not ride on a bike that had the chain secured with channel locks and a hammer but if your friend feels it's safe then more power to him and may the angels watch over him.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like I said I would have went to the dealer and got a new chain and let them put it on. I have already had a chain to brake when I had a six, and it tore off my guard and a hunk of plastic out of my tail fairing, I know better (could have been my leg). Some have to experience it for themselves.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Hopefully your common sense will rub off on your friend. Dealership around me will rivet a chain for around $15-$20, which is reasonable for a dealer and that a chain tool is around $100 and I see them break alot after a couple of uses.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
if you tried to rivet a rivet link on with vise grips or whatever it MIGHT work.........

BUT that is not my ain concern with what he did. You said the chain was stretched to the point that there was little adjustment left. So in fact the chian is WORN OUT and needs to be replaced. When a chain "stretches" the metal plates dont acutally stretch, it is the rollers and the pins IN BETWEEN the sprocket teeth that wear out and cause the chain as a whole to stretch.

Good way to check. with the chain tension properly adjusted pull on the chain at the back of the sprocket (not bottom or top) and if you can pull the chain off the teeth to where you can see in between the chain and sprocket they are worn and need to be changed AS A SET. Anything other than as a set will ruin the new part that is installed in short order.

As stretched chain in itself is more dangerous than whether or not you completely riveted that link on ;)

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
You CAN be ok with what ya did, cause thats how I put chains on my dirtbikes. But thats on a dirtbike...a much slower...much less powerful machine. The problem with the rivet type links is they can be on "not enough" or "too much". Not enough generally results in a broken chain, too much causes excessive wear.

I've been pretty succesful at using clip type master links for my road bikes.

·
Registered
955 Posts
lol I lost a clip link once on a remotish road... phone or house nearby.. did manage to find a paper clip discarded..
who would of thought a lousy aluminum paperclip would be good upto 30 mph ;) lol managed to i'dle coast to nearest phone for pickup truck..

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
ravennh said:
lol I lost a clip link once on a remotish road... phone or house nearby.. did manage to find a paper clip discarded..
who would of thought a lousy aluminum paperclip would be good upto 30 mph ;) lol managed to i'dle coast to nearest phone for pickup truck..
Thats why I carry spares :cool: haven't had to use one yet.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Motojoe_23 said:
if you tried to rivet a rivet link on with vise grips or whatever it MIGHT work.........

BUT that is not my ain concern with what he did. You said the chain was stretched to the point that there was little adjustment left. So in fact the chian is WORN OUT and needs to be replaced. When a chain "stretches" the metal plates dont acutally stretch, it is the rollers and the pins IN BETWEEN the sprocket teeth that wear out and cause the chain as a whole to stretch.

Good way to check. with the chain tension properly adjusted pull on the chain at the back of the sprocket (not bottom or top) and if you can pull the chain off the teeth to where you can see in between the chain and sprocket they are worn and need to be changed AS A SET. Anything other than as a set will ruin the new part that is installed in short order.

As stretched chain in itself is more dangerous than whether or not you completely riveted that link on ;)
There was no adjustment, had to take a link out. All the rollers looked to still be in place, but they still could be worn out. He said He was trying to make it to the end of summer with this chain and will buy a new one next riding season, (if he & the bike makes it). If it breaks again or doesn't seem to run right he will buy another one ASAP. Thanks 4 the info! :thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.