Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I get up this morning and clean my bike all up and take some photos of it to post up on here. Since it was a beautiful day to ride I decided to ride it to get my hair cut. Well about halfway there I hear this noise like metal hitting the road beside me, so i look down and slowed down to about 40mph. About 100 feet later I heard a terrible noise and it was my chain coming up on my left side and hit my leg, and my back. So I slowed down quickly and pushed my bike off to the side of the road to find out not only did my chain break, but it scratched the crab out of my paint on my tail section, and my antifreeze was pouring out from under the bike. So here goes all my extra money I had saved up to get some extra work done to it. Sorry about the long post I just needed to vent. :rant:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,321 Posts
Oh shit.............could have been worse. Count your blessings, at east you didn't go down!!! :thumbup: How old was the chain and what year is the bike and how many miles on her? :headscrat Good luck with the repairs......... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JFM GSXR 750 said:
Oh shit.............could have been worse. Count your blessings, at east you didn't go down!!! :thumbup: How old was the chain and what year is the bike and how many miles on her? :headscrat Good luck with the repairs......... :cool:
I feel very lucky that I didn't go down, well the bike has got 11,800 miles on her and it's an 01 600. I just bought the bike back in May and the chain looked good, the original owner said it only had a few thousand miles on it, I keeped it lubed and clean. You can see the pictures of it, I just posted them in the Bike forum under 2001 gsxr600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
how the hell did the chain rap you in the back?
Did chainguard come off? or get ripped off?

Anyway glad nothing worse happend like wrappin in tire sprocket area
And that your okay..

Raven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts

Scary!
How the hell did that shit happen?
Im guessing the OEM chain was replaced.
and the master link came off. (maybe installed wrong? too tight? anybody?)
Im a little confused.
Chain guard?
I don't know.
Just good that you're good to go, especially at that speed...


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
Chain guard won't do jack shit for a chain coming off. What I want to know is did you take a look at the master link on it? Did you take note of what kind of link it was (rivet or clip)? If it was clip, could've been installed backwards, or possibly not clipped on all the way and whatnot. If it was rivet, possibly the heads weren't mushroomed to spec, or beyond spec and made the link tight increasing wear excessively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well to answer most of your questions, I did not have a chain guard on my bike, and it wasn't the factory chain because my bike has been stretched 6 inches, and it was a clip type chain. Only problem is I don't know what caused the master link to let go because it was the first link I lost out on the road somewhere. As far as it hitting me in the back it was on my left upper portion of my back, and it stung too.
 

·
Anti-squid moderator
Joined
·
6,477 Posts
sink said:
Well to answer most of your questions, I did not have a chain guard on my bike, and it wasn't the factory chain because my bike has been stretched 6 inches, and it was a clip type chain. Only problem is I don't know what caused the master link to let go because it was the first link I lost out on the road somewhere. As far as it hitting me in the back it was on my left upper portion of my back, and it stung too.
There's your answer, most pimped out bikes don't have the best parts (clip link :laughingr on a stretched swingarm). If you going to ride a streched bike, get the best chain with the highest tensile strength and use a rivet link.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you da man said:
There's your answer, most pimped out bikes don't have the best parts (clip link :laughingr on a stretched swingarm). If you going to ride a streched bike, get the best chain with the highest tensile strength and use a rivet link.
See thats what makes me angry about the whole thing is that the shop I bought it from was like "The chain on that bike is in grade a shape and is one of the better chains". This was told to me about 2 weeks ago. I thought that the clip link was supposed to be pretty strong, I know the rivet link is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,175 Posts
sink said:
See thats what makes me angry about the whole thing is that the shop I bought it from was like "The chain on that bike is in grade a shape and is one of the better chains". This was told to me about 2 weeks ago. I thought that the clip link was supposed to be pretty strong, I know the rivet link is.
I'm willing to put money on the clip link was the cause of failure. I've used both types of masterlinks many types, and none have failed on me. But everytime I've made MAJOR effort to make sure things are put together how they are supposed to be. Clip links have more factors that can be messed than a rivet link, although that can be messed up too. The chain quality does not mean the master link is quality too, so that shop might've been blowing smoke up your ass.

On a stretched bike I'd look to get a rivet link installed properly. When the clip comes off on cliplinks, its just a matter of time for the sideplate to slide off and then the whole masterlink go byebye.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top