Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-

So I updated my '86 1100 with aftermarket '99-'06 Plastic )8 Chromed handlebar controls a couple of years ago.
They actually look pretty good and worked fine till I pulled the bike out for pre-season oil change and maint a couple
of weeks ago. The little dowel on the upper right half of the right control switch assembly had broken off in the
handlebar hole )8. I had soldered original style pins on the end of the new 'busa control pigtail and transferred the
original connector to it so it plugs (more or less) into the '86 harness but I hate to do all that again to a new one (if you can find one) . There are a few aftermarket chrome plated aluminum versions of these advertised and I tried to order from 2 of them- the first came back "discontinued" while the 2nd said ETA was 90 days. So I ordered what appeared to be a nice looking set of used stock 'busa controls from ebay . They showed up yesterday. Of course, the right-hand control came thru with the little positioning dowel already broken off. A handy time saver (8. I guess the same musta happened to someone else out there at one time or another. I almost feel like just putting some tape on the bar and tightening the thing down again, or, a little cleaner, maybe screw some kind of dowel INTO the bar then carve the underside of the control top half to match it. Anyone else dealt with this? Has it stayed in place?

thanks in advance-
bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
I trimmed electrical tape to the piece the dowel was on that way I would have to worry about tape on the bar, no issues and more flexibility due to positioning/rotation. That 'small' section has worked for 3 or 4 years now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I trimmed electrical tape to the piece the dowel was on that way I would have to worry about tape on the bar, no issues and more flexibility due to positioning/rotation. That 'small' section has worked for 3 or 4 years now.
thanks!

have a great one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
I used a bicycle innertube patch. Glued it to the bar where the pod would be. Gave it enough purchase. I ground the dowels off mine purposefully so I could rotate them where I wanted them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used a bicycle innertube patch. Glued it to the bar where the pod would be. Gave it enough purchase. I ground the dowels off mine purposefully so I could rotate them where I wanted them.
Good idea. I went back to take another look at it and during the inspection, noticed a hairline crack from the lost dowel location up the vertical side of the control. As soon as I touched it, the thing crumbled. C'est la vie.
I ordered a used set off Ebay. The inner tube/tape ideas are good. I've got some thin rubber insulation with
peel off sticky paper on one side-

thanks!
b
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea. I went back to take another look at it and during the inspection, noticed a hairline crack from the lost dowel location up the vertical side of the control. As soon as I touched it, the thing crumbled. C'est la vie.
I ordered a used set off Ebay. The inner tube/tape ideas are good. I've got some thin rubber insulation with
peel off sticky paper on one side-

thanks!
b
Turns out the used set that showed up was generally nice with no surface flaws. The only glitch was that the plastic
dowel on the Ebay pair was also broken off! I could used tape or bubber but I still would've had to rewire both controls or at least swap out the covers. Then it dawned on me that if I just ordered a set of chrome covers, the new top half would probably fit on the old bottom. For $19.95 there was much to lose and a fair amount of wiring work to be saved if it fit. The thing arrived a few days later and it DID fit, so at least for now, it's back together. The 'Busa controls are a much cleaner look and have provisions for dual throttle cables (I wanted them for an RS38 upgrade) and have the "Flash to Pass' button which is easy to hook up. A few more wires and an electronic flasher, and the 4 way hazards work, too- so I replaced the bulbs at all 4 corners with LEDs and put dual contact sockets in the front turn sigs so it has running lights. Takes a day or two because the 'Busa control terminal and connectors need to be changed but thought it was a worthwhile upgrade.
 

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top