Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
If you have a header on it you still will not burn valves. If you had no exhauset on it then you could have a problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Burning valves

Burning your valves happens when the fuel mixture is running lean or (weak) this happens if a free flowing exhuast has been fitted to your motorcycle or a (race can) for example. Burning your valves out on most occasions happens over a long period of time of riding your motorcycle with the wrong fuel mixture. You will notice if you have ever fit a race can you sometimes have to increase your idle speed or will notice the bike hunting at low revs this is due to the fuel mixture bieng alterd. Never fear there are solutions to this like power comanders or yoshi box`s which can alter the fuel mixture and can set up your motorcycle perfectly.:clap:

·
Registered
555 Posts
I know how you burn valves out and its not a question of my bike running to lean cus the feedback Im getting from my Z-AFM my bike is running at a 13.2 af ratio. The reason I ask is cus we were riding this past weekend and two guys behind me said my bike smelled like it was running lean and had a weird smell to it as well. Is there a certain burnt smell the engine gives off when your roasting your valves?

What I think it is was since Im tuning my bike with the Z-AFM I have my pair system plugged so I get a good reading to the O2 sensor. They are smelling all the unspent gases that are not being burned like when the pair valve is dumping fresh air into the exhaust line. On top of that they get a big wiff cus Im running a 2 brothers shorty so its just straight through.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
I would like to know how these two guys are qualified to know if your bike is running lean while riding behind you AND smelling your exhaust at the sametime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Burning valves

lol if it were me pal i wouldn`t take any advice off anyone who goes round sniffin exhaust fumes i bet there a bit funny in the head if you know what i mean. Any how back to the point the only time i have noticed a weird smell coming from the exhuast (not that i do go round sniffin them) is when the head gaskit on me old sev fiddy srad was leaking coolant into one of the cylinders only a small leak i may add but the smell was noticable GO CHECK YOUR COOLANT LEVEL........:hmmm:

·
Registered
555 Posts
I looked at my resvoir and its fine I just had the fairing off the other day, Im not sayin I believe them I was just askin if there was any truth to that if it eminates a certain smell.

Heres another thing I cant wrap my brain around, how much to you know about the number scale that is used to determine whats lean or rich. For instance Ive been tuning my bike for the last few months at a target A/F ratio of 13.2 Well the other weekend I was riding with a few of my friends and they said my bike smelled like it was running lean, so I richened it up to a 13.0 Heres where Im getting thrown off, I was out riding the last few days and I went to upload the changes that were suggested by the system and in most places it was subtracting fuel from the map Im running. I thought that 13.2 was a bit leaner than 13.0?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.