Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an engine from a 2004 GSXR 600 to install in my sand buggy. I also got 2 ECUs, 2 wiring harnesses, a spare set of coils, injectors, and other sensors. I also got a shop manual for the bike. I installed it in my buggy and went to test fire it but all that it would do was crank. I checked all of the sensors per the book and changed components to no avail. The shop manual kept referring to diagnostic codes so I bought a gage and harness to test with, the computer gives me a "C42" anti-theft error. The book tells me to check the ignition switch, but I used a toggle switch and a pushbutton. I removed the abbreviated wiring harness that I made and installed the spare factory harness. I got a key switch from the boat shop in town and hooked it up as the original. I still get the same error.
Do I have to have a factory switch, does the key have a transponder in it like my car, is there something that I have to reset? I already have over $1000.00 in this engine and I hate to keep pouring money in. Next time I am just going to buy a running bike and harvest what I need. Please help, I wanna go fast again.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
yes you have to get a factory switch. theyre real cheap on ebay. theres a circuit in it that keeps people from being able to hotwire the bike. if that circuit isnt connected in the right manner, it wont turn on the fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is there any way to get around/replicate the signal from the switch? I will use a pull cable switch to run the fuel pump. It would really be a hassle to use a key switch. When I buy a switch does it have to be from a 600? What else works?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is there any way to get around/replicate the signal from the switch? I will use a pull cable switch to run the fuel pump. It would really be a hassle to use a key switch. When I buy a switch does it have to be from a 600? What else works?

yes... use the wiring diagram and a multimeter... I think the manual may even list the expected voltage expectations at each pin.

I have been looking over the wiring diagram for a k6 very closely this week, trying to rid some un-necessary things from my race bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing in the book is a pin connection chart for the switch in different positions. It says in the run position that it shorts 12+ to the fan, the fuse panel , and the orange/yellow wire to the ECM; also the parking light switch to the #6 fuse. It doesn't say anything about voltage or order. Can I take a switch apart and use the guts to make some sort of bypass device?

·
Registered
172 Posts
you don't even need to do that... you can just wire up some resistors, maybe an op-amp, and you're good.

I'd help ya, but i'm not sure if I have a bike with a similar enough electrical system to test.

What you really could use, is somebody with a running 750, and see how the switch affects the the input and output signals in the "on" position.

I bypassed my ignition on my '03 600 and had a toggle like you want to do.

depending on your time constraint, I may be able to help you walk through the 750 modding, but I am shoulder deep in my racebike project this week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"resistors and maybe an op amp"? could you be more specific? I am pretty familiar with discrete electronics so you wouldn't be talking over my head. What kind of signal are you sending to the ECU? Years ago I was involved in a friends project installing a TPI 350 small block into a Fiero. It had an OBDII resistor key anti theft system that just completed an oscillator circuit. The trick was just to send a 50hz square wave at 5 volts to the ECM. I built a circuit for 15 bucks with a 555 timer, a capacitor, some resistors, and a voltage regulator IC; potted it into an Altoids tin and got him on his way. Is this what you are talking about?

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
theres a trick to running a keyless ignition on race bikes. but its a well kept secret among racers. that way it gives the theives a little more trouble when they try to steal your bike. i know the orange/white wire has somethign to do with it, but ive never bypassed an ignition before to know what exactly is involved.

but honestly, save the headache and spend the $20-$60 on a new key switch, gas cap, and keys

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I like headaches, that's why I build these things. The guys at the dunes always tell me that it would be a lot easier and cheaper to use a VW tub so I could just buy the parts off of the shelf. There are guys who are using 300+CI engines who can't keep up with me and my 36 Cubic Inches, and they can't corner (or stop) like I can. At the end of the day, when they are winching their 2000lbs of $20,000.00 out of a hole, another guy and I pick up my buggy and throw it on a trailer then I ask "what's easier and cheaper now?"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
theres a trick to running a keyless ignition on race bikes. but its a well kept secret among racers. that way it gives the theives a little more trouble when they try to steal your bike. i know the orange/white wire has somethign to do with it, but ive never bypassed an ignition before to know what exactly is involved.

Does anyone know this trick? would they be willing to let me in on it confidentially? say by email?

·
Registered
3 Posts
you don't even need to do that... you can just wire up some resistors, maybe an op-amp, and you're good.

I'd help ya, but i'm not sure if I have a bike with a similar enough electrical system to test.

What you really could use, is somebody with a running 750, and see how the switch affects the the input and output signals in the "on" position.

I bypassed my ignition on my '03 600 and had a toggle like you want to do.

depending on your time constraint, I may be able to help you walk through the 750 modding, but I am shoulder deep in my racebike project this week.
hi i have a 03 gsxr600 i really need some help with my ignition and wiring in general please help

·
Super Moderator
9,206 Posts
hi i have a 03 gsxr600 i really need some help with my ignition and wiring in general please help
Welcome. Tagging onto old threads is not a good way of getting help.

Start a new thread in the tech section and explain what the bike is doing or not doing. Be as specific as you can as well as any history and what you have tried so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts