Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I got a 06 - 07 gsxr 600.......
I pulled the camd and heads this weekend - one of the cams has a small fragment of metal missing midway between the lobe and the heel...
It looks like it's always been like this - doesn't appear to have any abnormal wearing or grooving...... It's somewhere around 1/4 into the lobe it's self..... Just a small piece of metal missing - the rest looks fine ....

I'll post pics tonight..... Anyone ever seen something like this before?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys!

·
Administrator
11,963 Posts
Nope. I'm waiting for pictures of the case and cylinders. :p

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Use a site like Imgur- free, to cut and paste photos.

I thought your other post stated you blew the motor? Could be the problem?

Reactions: Micro600Guy

·
Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
295 Posts
No pic to go by but I’ve seen at different times in my career where a minor casting flaw was deemed useable by QC and found such a flaw here or there on a cam shaft.

Not normally on anything built from the late 1990s on but certainly before then. Not strictly limited to iron block v-8s of US manufacture either. Found such things on Mitsubishi and Toyota engines as well.

Funnily enough, never seen this on any Nissan or Honda engine I’ve ever had the valve covers off of. That’s a bunch too. I wound being the timing belt/water pump guy at one of my gigs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No pic to go by but I’ve seen at different times in my career where a minor casting flaw was deemed useable by QC and found such a flaw here or there on a cam shaft.

Not normally on anything built from the late 1990s on but certainly before then. Not strictly limited to iron block v-8s of US manufacture either. Found such things on Mitsubishi and Toyota engines as well.

Funnily enough, never seen this on any Nissan or Honda engine I’ve ever had the valve covers off of. That’s a bunch too. I wound being the timing belt/water pump guy at one of my gigs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 GSXR 600, 1992 GSXR 750, 1983 XN85 Turbo & some Euro bikes
295 Posts
Yep. Casting flaw. Dunno how that made it past QC but if the follower doesn’t ride on it there then all sorta good. If it’s working now, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Do check the cam follower for any out of ordinary wear though. If you find none…button up and press on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. Casting flaw. Dunno how that made it past QC but if the follower doesn’t ride on it there then all sorta good. If it’s working now, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Do check the cam follower for any out of ordinary wear though. If you find none…button up and press on.
Thank you sir! I also thought it was a casting issue ... Probably been like that from the start..... Didn't see any abnormal wearing..... Wish I could button it back up and press on ..... This motor ran out of oil in the middle of a A feature and locked up..... Got lucky and the top end survived.... The bottom it is toast! Thanks again for your guidance!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts