Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

So I just got this bike, 99 gsxr 600, w/ 20k miles. There's oil coming from the gear shaft (I think the seal isn't working) and it's coming out from the bearing (#31 and #32 are the areas I'm speaking about). I'm not a mechanic but I figured out where it's coming from. It was recommended by a friend to add a seal conditioner to the oil as it MIGHT fix it. Anyone have thoughts on that or experience with that ?

Apparently to complicate matters, I understand additives to oil are tricky since it's a wet clutch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if someone knows of a cheap mechanic that's good in Southern NH who could fix this for real that would be great !

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Its worth a shot for a quick temporary fix but regardless that seal will need to be replaced.

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
i guess you have to ask yourself if its cheaper to fix it now, or replace the whole engine on an assumption it might work. i would not put that stuff in my bike...remember the oil shares not only the engine but the transmission as well as the clutch, and these engines spin at rpm's way more then standard engines. i understand you might be trying to find an inexpensive way of fixing your oil leak problem, but i dont think this will make it go away, and in the long run will end up costing you more.....imo

·
Registered
5 Posts
i guess you have to ask yourself if its cheaper to fix it now, or replace the whole engine on an assumption it might work. i would not put that stuff in my bike...remember the oil shares not only the engine but the transmission as well as the clutch, and these engines spin at rpm's way more then standard engines. i understand you might be trying to find an inexpensive way of fixing your oil leak problem, but i dont think this will make it go away, and in the long run will end up costing you more.....imo
hey wasup guys, just found out that the guy who started this thread completely fucked me. i bought the bike from him for more than what he paid, didnt know it needed this seal, owell ill fix it instead of being a bitch like he is and sell it to some unsuspecting kid. anyone got a diy on the gear sealor anything?

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
hey wasup guys, just found out that the guy who started this thread completely fucked me. i bought the bike from him for more than what he paid, didnt know it needed this seal, owell ill fix it instead of being a bitch like he is and sell it to some unsuspecting kid. anyone got a diy on the gear sealor anything?
DAMN!!!!!!!!!! did he fuk you by selling it for more than he paid or did he do what anyone would do? now as far as the leak thats a dif story. kinda shady. did you not check the bike out b4 you bought?

·
Registered
5 Posts
DAMN!!!!!!!!!! did he fuk you by selling it for more than he paid or did he do what anyone would do? now as far as the leak thats a dif story. kinda shady. did you not check the bike out b4 you bought?
ya i did, but i dont know shit about bikes, its my first one, and it was leaking from the drain plug so i just assumed, its ok tho im over the fact that he's a prick, lol i need to fix it right or am i going to mess something up on the bike if i just ride it? im new to bikes, but im a mechanic so i think i can handle droping the engine etc.. thanks for the responce tho any help is greatly appriciated

·
Registered
552 Posts
Weather or not you screw up the bike just depends on how fast its leaking. If its a slow leak then you can probably get away with riding for a little while longer untill you can get it fixed. Just make sure you check the oil everytime you ride it. Anyway, good luck man, sorry to hear you got jippe, fix the bike and have fun!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I posted on one of his previous threads about this. I was the one to initially tell him he got screwed in the deal and try to get his money back, but since that didn't happen and he screwed a new rider, I feel bad for you. You have mechanical background which will def help. Get yourself a Haynes manual for the bike to help yu with the step by step and torque specs. It is going to be a little of work but if you have the time, go for it, then post a send him pictures f you riding it with a tasteful message like F*ck Off or something.

·
Registered
914 Posts
if it was me i wouldnt ride that thing till you get the oil leak fixed!!! we only have 2 tires on the ground and you you really want oil on one of them? i know i wouldn't that thing is a death trap, if its leaking oil. but its your bike and your life i would just fix it before you ride it.:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.