Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The service manual for the 2006 GSX-R600 recommends using Kerosene to clean the chain. However, I can't seem to find Kerosene in Ca and I was wondering if I could use fresh diesel fuel in place of kerosene? Thoughts, comments??

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are chain cleaning products..
Just Google motorcycle chain cleaning spray.

Otherwise, get big orange degreaser from a hardware store.. Use that with a plastic brush, then rinse with water.. Then use a lot of Wd40, then wipe off the access, then chain lube

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
Diesel will work fine as it is essentially kerosene.

I'm not a fan of water based degreasers as they strip all the oily film off the parts. Kerosene and diesel clean the part but leave an oily film that inhibits rust. Personally I use some mineral spirits (paint thinner) to clean the gunk off and lube with 90W gear oil using a brush. Suzuki recommended gear oil in the owners manual of my K6.

I haven't replaced many chains but got 27k miles out of my DR650 chain that operates in some dusty conditions, my Z1k has 22k miles on the original chain and still looks good, the two gsxrs have 10-14k miles on them and the chains look good. Your experience may vary.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I use chain Wax, comes in a can. Just saying. Rarely ever 'clean' it. The spray seems to clean it too.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
47 Posts
The process I mentioned has kept me from replacing my chain as well. FYI.
I had a new 2007 gsxr.. I put 10k on it and when I traded it in, the chain looked brand new..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Diesel will work fine as it is essentially kerosene.

I'm not a fan of water based degreasers as they strip all the oily film off the parts. Kerosene and diesel clean the part but leave an oily film that inhibits rust. Personally I use some mineral spirits (paint thinner) to clean the gunk off and lube with 90W gear oil using a brush. Suzuki recommended gear oil in the owners manual of my K6.
Thanks for that. Similar to " which motor oil is best", this is an argument discussion every time it comes up. For all the reasons you mentioned, I use either Kerosene or diesel fuel, which ever I have on hand at the time. Both do a nice job of cleaning and neither have been refined enough to do damage the o rings or wash out the grease from inside a sealed chain. I also use a 90W gear oil to lubricate my chains... cause it works well and is inexpensive. And if I take the time to wipe the chain off properly, after I've lubed it, it's no messier than any other method.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I replace my chain every other season weather it looks like it needs it or not. Clean it every spring (unless it gets extra dirty from a gravel road or something), and lube it with chain wax regularly throughout the season.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
388 Posts
Shit! I don't use much but I do use kerosene to clean chains and for various other uses. I see that kerosene heaters have been banned in CA but I don't see a ban, yet, on kerosene. It's no longer available from Home Depot in CA but I see that some, not all, Ace Hardware stores seem to have it - notably Miner's Ace Hardware. You're making me nervous enough about this that I'm going to try to buy some from them today.

They've previously banned paint stripper that contains methylene chloride, i.e. everything that works. I'd been experimenting with painting my rear fender and have some navy blue on it as an experiment prior to applying the real stuff from ColorRite. Now I can't get it off. I previously ran into this sort of thing with MEK and waited until I was out of state so that I could smuggle some in by car. I recently had a big run-around with smoke detectors as the battery operated types have been banned unless they have a 10 year life battery.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hell, our gas station have it on tap. Not cheap, but available everywhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
BillV. Autos and trucks use diesel fuel #2, except in extreme cold temperatures where fuel can gel up.. then they use diesel #1.. which is essentially Kerosene. I wouldn't want to use diesel 2 in a Kerosene heater because of the excessive smoke it would put off. But I could run Kerosene in my diesel F250 all year round if I wanted to pay the premium price or needed to for some reason. Use diesel fuel from a convenience store fuel pump if all you plan to do is clean parts and chains. All's good, and cheaper than kerosene.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Just a few comments.

1) Yes, the manual says use kerosene to clean the chain. But, it also says use engine oil to lubricate it. If you're not using oil on your chain, using kerosene may not be the best choice. Many of the aftermarket chain lubes aren't even oil based. Kerosene won't do a damn thing to those. Know what you're using and use a cleaner that compliments it.

2) If you're using something like Maxima or PJ1, read the label. PJ1 is petroleum based and Maxima is waxed based. If you're going waxed based, you need to degrease the chain first so the wax can bond to the surface.

3) O-ring chains are internally greased and your lubrication on the outside of the chain really does only 2 things. It helps sprocket wear, and slows corrosion. Most people don't understand this and clean/lube their chain far more than necessary.

4) Lastly, if you're using aerosol based products, you can usually get away with not using a cleaner. The solvents in the can are usually enough to soften the existing layer of lube enough that you can apply liberally and then just wipe off the excess and the dirt comes with it. You'll use more lube, but the expense is less than buying an additional can of cleaner.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I went to Miner's and had no problem buying a gallon of K-1 kerosene. I asked an employee about any sort of ban in CA and he was unaware of it. Miner's is associated with Ace Hardware. Another Ace Hardware store around here doesn't handle it. Home Depot is somewhat strange. The store closest to me doesn't have any and lists it as "unable to ship this item to homes and stores in CA". Another HD 35 miles away also doesn't have any but does have Kleen-Strip kerosene alternative, whatever that is. It also is listed as "unable to ship" but they have three in stock. So how do they get it - by pipeline? Go figure.

I used Maxima chain lube when I first bought my K6. That was over ten years ago but as best I remember, I cleaned the chain with kerosene back then and it worked fine. I've since switched to Motul Factory Line and it likes to accumulate around the front sprocket. I wipe off what I can and use kerosene for the remainder.

#2 diesel oil may work for chain cleaning but I also use kerosene for other purposes. For example, it's the preferred solvent for removing shipping labels. I'd be suspicious about how quickly and fully #2 would evaporate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Diesel #2 is less refined than Kerosene for sure. It has more "crude oil residues", so it doesn't burn, or feel, as pure as Kerosene. Glad you found what you needed locally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just can't seem to find kerosene anywhere here in the "Peoples Republic of Kalifornia" so diesel fuel it will be

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Just a few comments.

1) Yes, the manual says use kerosene to clean the chain. But, it also says use engine oil to lubricate it. If you're not using oil on your chain, using kerosene may not be the best choice. Many of the aftermarket chain lubes aren't even oil based. Kerosene won't do a damn thing to those. Know what you're using and use a cleaner that compliments it.

2) If you're using something like Maxima or PJ1, read the label. PJ1 is petroleum based and Maxima is waxed based. If you're going waxed based, you need to degrease the chain first so the wax can bond to the surface.

3) O-ring chains are internally greased and your lubrication on the outside of the chain really does only 2 things. It helps sprocket wear, and slows corrosion. Most people don't understand this and clean/lube their chain far more than necessary.

4) Lastly, if you're using aerosol based products, you can usually get away with not using a cleaner. The solvents in the can are usually enough to soften the existing layer of lube enough that you can apply liberally and then just wipe off the excess and the dirt comes with it. You'll use more lube, but the expense is less than buying an additional can of cleaner.
As always, well stated Chuck/Geek!

FWIW- I actually sprayed my chain w/ Kerosene, and brushed it with an former dish/kitchen sink brush yesterday! I rarely ever do it tough.
Let it dry/evap well, then my Chain wax lube. Currrently using the Maxima chain wax lube.
Usually use the stuff from WalMart- Dupont IIRC?- but have to buy online and ship, and get at 5 or 6 at a time for free shipping.
I gave a few away, and went thru at least 4 in the last 2-3 years.

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
Another good substitute for kerosene is WD-40. I does a really good job at cleaning.
Funny that I mentioned that I used mineral spirits. WD-40 is 50% mineral spirits.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
If you can get it, Dupont Teflon chain wax is a great cleaner and lube. One thing that is important to understand is that our x-ring/o-ring chains have grease in the seals. Clean the outside of the chain, but the less solvent that gets past the sealing rings the better, as it will dissolve the factory grease and decrease the life of your chain.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
OP, Oh yea, I see what you did there with that thread title, touche!

Use Diesel in your Gixxer! LOL

Reactions: opfor2
1 - 20 of 30 Posts