21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
This the best stuff. Change my mind LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
The service manual for the 2006 GSX-R600 recommends using Kerosene to clean the chain. However, I can't seem to find Kerosene in Ca and I was wondering if I could use fresh diesel fuel in place of kerosene? Thoughts, comments??
Did you try Lowe’s or Home Depot? Here they sell it in 1 gal jugs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I noticed you're the OP for this question. Have you read any of the discussions in your thread? Several folks have answered your question and given options.
YES I have what's your point?? I think you need to read the back and forth

·
Registered
22 Posts
I really don't have a point. I'm just wondering why you haven't noticed that Diesel fuel can be substituted for Kerosene for cleaning chains. I thought that was the reason for this question. If it wasn't, then yeah. I'm wrong. But, if you can't find Kerosene.. you can use Diesel fuel... Simple.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I gotta say, I can't believe this has gone on for as long as it has. I wouldn't use either of them on ANYthing but a heater, or a truck for FUEL. Have we gone back to the 70's?!? Use a good chain cleaner, then a good chain wax. Discussion over...

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
387 Posts
^I strongly suspect that the OP's not looking hard enough. I had only minor problems finding it. Or did I miss that Santa Barbara has seceded?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I gotta say, I can't believe this has gone on for as long as it has. I wouldn't use either of them on ANYthing but a heater, or a truck for FUEL. Have we gone back to the 70's?!? Use a good chain cleaner, then a good chain wax. Discussion over...
(y), I can't argue that there are cleaner, easier options available to service a chain. But, let's not forget, Suzuki sells motorcycles all over the world. The majority of those bikes sold in the international market are smaller CC engine bikes for reasons of fuel economy and cheap operation costs. Kerosene or 90W oil are cheap, readily available cleaners/lubricants, almost universally... so Suzuki continues to recommend them in their Owners Manuals. Compared to lots of US, some folks in other countries are, literally, decades behind US financially.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I havent used anything but WD- 40 in a couple of years after talking to a racer who hasn't used anything but WD-40 in like 20 years. His explanation made perfect sense. Modern chains have the lubricant sealed inside of the rings. Chain cleaning is to get ride of dirt/grime that increases chain wear and to keep the chain free of drag. Lubing is to keep it corrosion free. WD-40 does both for the outside of the chain. The sealed lube does it for the internal pivots points. The aerosol cleaners and lubes/wax are just money spent for no reason. The chains on my two bikes have been on for over 2 years each, and both still look perfect.

Old style chains on on dirt bikes that didnt have lube sealed in the o-rings had to be constantly cleaned and lubed to ensure the chains didnt wear out at the pivot points. New ones dont because the lube is sealed in there and cant just leak out and leave the chain to destroy itself. Because of this, something that cleans the chain and staves off corrosion is all you need. Enter WD-40 for the win.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts