Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm sure its possible but it wont last forever. I have seen a few done with flat black high temp paint, they look sick.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
If you were to use the paint that they use on brake callipers it would open up a wider spectrum of colours, although do you really really have to. I love a well kept shiny titanium exhaust!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is paint specifically made to handle the high temperatures of the exhaust http://www.hightempenginepaint.com/ stuff like this but just google high temp paint and you'll find stuff. Just be prepared to have to repaint every 8-9 months. The stuff looks good though :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've never done a complete exhaust..I'm sure any hi temp paint would be the way to go....Prep is always the key to getting paint to hold..A good scratch so the paint can bite into, But still bury under the paint. And clean the snot out of it with a solvent..Laquer thinner, paint prep, etc.

I did this on my stocker about 3 years back, still looks like new...I used "one shot" sign enamel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've never done a complete exhaust..I'm sure any hi temp paint would be the way to go....Prep is always the key to getting paint to hold..A good scratch so the paint can bite into, But still bury under the paint. And clean the snot out of it with a solvent..Laquer thinner, paint prep, etc.

I did this on my stocker about 3 years back, still looks like new...I used "one shot" sign enamel.

+1

I sanded the hell out of my pipe with some gritty ass sand paper for almost an hour, then I cleaned it with soap and water to make sure I got all the metal particles out before I painted it.

When it comes to painting ANYTHING prep work is 70% of the total work.

*edit* oh and be sure to wear latex gloves when handling after cleaning but before painting so you dont get any fingerprints on what you're about to spray paint on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
you could just get it powder coated right? That is like glass that binds to the metal. It comes in a million different colors too.
Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin." The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint.

And yes you can get it in pretty much any color.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.