Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Joe Rocket Atomic jacket, but will get to be too hot once the summer heat comes.

What is a good jacket for summer that offers good protection but is good for hotter weather?

·
Premium Member
8,552 Posts
I'm also wearing a Joe Rocket leather jacket but I'm not sure of the model.

It does have zip out panels on the arms and flows air wonderfully. Looking at your jacket on line, it looks like it would flow air pretty well with all the zippers open.

Riding is usually not the issue, but stopped at lights can be hot. A light color (white) is the way to go.

Textile is also a choice but does not hold up as well in a slide. A friend had a 35-40 mph get off a month ago wearing an Icon textile jacket and it burned through in a couple of places. He had some minor road rash, but it did save him a lot of damage otherwise.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm also wearing a Joe Rocket leather jacket but I'm not sure of the model.

It does have zip out panels on the arms and flows air wonderfully. Looking at your jacket on line, it looks like it would flow air pretty well with all the zippers open.

Riding is usually not the issue, but stopped at lights can be hot. A light color (white) is the way to go.

Textile is also a choice but does not hold up as well in a slide. A friend had a 35-40 mph get off a month ago wearing an Icon textile jacket and it burned through in a couple of places. He had some minor road rash, but it did save him a lot of damage otherwise.
I think this one will be good until the heat gets above 80 degrees, the Revzilla reviews stated as much. You can remove the liner and unzip it in the arms, chest, and back, but it is thick enough to hold in heat. With a sweatshirt and the liner, I have been good in 30 degree weather riding. My legs were a different story, had to wear thermals under my pants.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I think this one will be good until the heat gets above 80 degrees, the Revzilla reviews stated as much. You can remove the liner and unzip it in the arms, chest, and back, but it is thick enough to hold in heat. With a sweatshirt and the liner, I have been good in 30 degree weather riding. My legs were a different story, had to wear thermals under my pants.
I have an Astars Gp plus perforated leather that flows a little air...but it's heavy as hell and def gets hot In 80 plus weather. I also have an Astars TGP Air jacket and it flows really well. Just wore it yesterday it was 88 and humid here and I wasn't dying.

What pants do you wear? I think those make a big difference obv. I have joe rocket mesh pants for really hot days those are amazing. Even held up through a high side...I still wear them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an Astars Gp plus perforated leather that flows a little air...but it's heavy as hell and def gets hot In 80 plus weather. I also have an Astars TGP Air jacket and it flows really well. Just wore it yesterday it was 88 and humid here and I wasn't dying.

What pants do you wear? I think those make a big difference obv. I have joe rocket mesh pants for really hot days those are amazing. Even held up through a high side...I still wear them.
I was wearing regular jeans at the time, for summer I am about to get a mesh jacket and mesh pants, currently considering Alpinestars, Dianese, Fly, and Rev It.

But yes, my jacket was plenty warm with the liner up until around freezing. Then with a sweat shirt or hoodie under the Joe Rocket Atomic Ion 5.0, I was plenty warm even below freezing.

Now that is has been over 90 degrees and high humidity here in Illinois, I definitely need some mesh because even with my Joe Rocket jacket opened up, it will flow air but still be too thick and hot. I will be dying sitting at lights!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I ride with an AStar leathers. It let’s in plenty of air in California . One benefit is lane filtering. I hardly ever stop moving, when I do I heat up real quick. I cool down just as fast when I start moving though.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I was wearing regular jeans at the time, for summer I am about to get a mesh jacket and mesh pants, currently considering Alpinestars, Dianese, Fly, and Rev It.

But yes, my jacket was plenty warm with the liner up until around freezing. Then with a sweat shirt or hoodie under the Joe Rocket Atomic Ion 5.0, I was plenty warm even below freezing.

Now that is has been over 90 degrees and high humidity here in Illinois, I definitely need some mesh because even with my Joe Rocket jacket opened up, it will flow air but still be too thick and hot. I will be dying sitting at lights!
Word, it's when you stop that it starts getting steamy....The fitment on the Astars, Dianese, and Revit will prob be EU so it's harder to pull off unless you can go try them on somewhere just letting you know in case u didn't. Joe Rocket comes in S M L and they are all waist adjustable as well so it was an easy decision. I bought a few pairs of pants before I settled on these..all online cuz Cycle Gear is far from me and didn't really have that much in stock when I did go.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Word, it's when you stop that it starts getting steamy....The fitment on the Astars, Dianese, and Revit will prob be EU so it's harder to pull off unless you can go try them on somewhere just letting you know in case u didn't. Joe Rocket comes in S M L and they are all waist adjustable as well so it was an easy decision. I bought a few pairs of pants before I settled on these..all online cuz Cycle Gear is far from me and didn't really have that much in stock when I did go.
I ordered a Scorpion Exo Jacket, I wear a Large and ordered XL based on reviews and it was fine for my torso, but my arms it was way too tight and actually hurt the bend of my arms and my biceps felt like they were going to burst through the jacket! That is why I hate buying clothes online, you never know how they will fit until you actually try them on.

That and they are all so different with the fitments. The torso area may fit but the arms are too short (like that Scorpion Jacket) or too long. I have only one motorcycle store that is close to me (15 minutes) and the next closest is about a half hour, 45 minutes with good traffic. The close one is a bit overpriced, but I can try on there and order online if needed as well.

I ordered the Scorpion Exo Jacket and my Joe Rocket Atomic Ion jacket from Revzilla, both literally arrived the next business day. I ordered the Joe Rocket while returning the Scorpion and got my money back a little less than a week later. The Joe Rocket fits me just about perfect and it is a Large ( my shirts are usually Large or Medium). The arms are perfect and it fits like a normal jacket, ever so slightly loose without the liner which is a good thing for summer.

I will likely go with Rev It or Alpinestars, with matching pants from either. I will likely get a couple different summer pants and couple different summer pants, keeping the brands together.

I appreciate the advice and will definitely be prepared to try on locally or order and pray! :grin

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought the new Icon Contra textile and let me tell you... its amazing!!! Plenty of air flow, extremely comfortable, relatively cheap. 90 degrees out and you can feel the air coming through it nicely. I highly recommend this jacket!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts