Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone else here agree it's actually hard to drive a GSXR as "slow" as 65mph? Hell... even 5th @ 5k is not where the bike wants to be, but when you drop to 3rd the bike starts heading towards the stratosphere! It's a freakin race bike that was never intended to putt-putt along at a snails pace of less than 75mph IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the government should do something about that, JUST FOR US...
You bring up a great point. Its really odd how traffic law and roads are totally designed just for cars and not for motorcycles. If the physics of motorcycles were factored into law speed limits would be MUCH different.

·
Registered
500 Posts
That's why I don't see the point in liter bikes on the street. It takes so little to violently exceed the speed limit, yet you're utterly bored and uncomfortable when you're trying to be civil.
I get more enjoyment out of riding a 300/400 or a 650, because I know I can wring it a bit without looking down to triple digits and I can also go into corners and enjoy myself without having 160+ whp to manage on unknown street conditions. And Supermotos are even more fun. I ended up just selling mine for that very reason: I simply did not find myself enjoying it like I would have expected, and I know 1000cc is too much for track use. I'm going to get a 600cc track bike and buy either a supermoto or a 650 to ride on the streets. I don't need the jail time and a felony for excessive speed, and I can go balls-out on the track. I may eventually bump up to another 1000cc for the track, but I don't know if I'll be back on a liter bike for the streets.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
That's why I don't see the point in liter bikes on the street. It takes so little to violently exceed the speed limit, yet you're utterly bored and uncomfortable when you're trying to be civil.
I get more enjoyment out of riding a 300/400 or a 650, because I know I can wring it a bit without looking down to triple digits and I can also go into corners and enjoy myself without having 160+ whp to manage on unknown street conditions. And Supermotos are even more fun. I ended up just selling mine for that very reason: I simply did not find myself enjoying it like I would have expected, and I know 1000cc is too much for track use. I'm going to get a 600cc track bike and buy either a supermoto or a 650 to ride on the streets. I don't need the jail time and a felony for excessive speed, and I can go balls-out on the track. I may eventually bump up to another 1000cc for the track, but I don't know if I'll be back on a liter bike for the streets.
OK Nick, now tell us what REALLY happened to you and your LiterBike on the streets?? LOL. BTW, I sold my K5 Liter I crashed 2 years ago. Got it looking and riding like new! Keeping my other K5 liter though.

** And, I agree with what you posted- and partially thinking there was sarcasm on your part too. Although what you posted is spot on. Agree that I don't need a felony and jail time too.

·
Registered
500 Posts
OK Nick, now tell us what REALLY happened to you and your LiterBike on the streets?? LOL. BTW, I sold my K5 Liter I crashed 2 years ago. Got it looking and riding like new! Keeping my other K5 liter though.

** And, I agree with what you posted- and partially thinking there was sarcasm on your part too. Although what you posted is spot on. Agree that I don't need a felony and jail time too.
Nothing actually happened, I just realized that after the honeymoon phase had worn off there was more and more time with the bike just sitting in the garage. It gets uncomfortably hot here, so half the summer I'm not riding, the winter is rainy and I don't ride, and there were times where the bike sat for 2-3 months without me doing much with it. And I don't actually gain much from commuting here, not like I did when I lived in California, so I can't use that.

So, I had posted it on Craigslist in the off chance that someone might buy it and let me move on to different things, and someone finally decided to offer me a reasonable amount for it. So, now I'll start shopping for a GSXR 600 track bike and probably a supermoto after summer is over.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Does everyone else here agree it's actually hard to drive a GSXR as "slow" as 65mph? Hell... even 5th @ 5k is not where the bike wants to be, but when you drop to 3rd the bike starts heading towards the stratosphere! It's a freakin race bike that was never intended to putt-putt along at a snails pace of less than 75mph IMO.
I feel your pain. Even 100 feels slow except in some twisties and there it's just in it's element.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I see your point/s. I was just kidding about the what really happened part.
A 600ish and a Supermoto, or just a Supermoto sounds like a blast!

When I was around the Dragon last May, I had a few Supermotos blowing by me like I was standing still, on the roads around there!

So, if not in Cali, where's about you at now?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I see your point/s. I was just kidding about the what really happened part.
A 600ish and a Supermoto, or just a Supermoto sounds like a blast!

When I was around the Dragon last May, I had a few Supermotos blowing by me like I was standing still, on the roads around there!

So, if not in Cali, where's about you at now?
I'm in Texas, hence the heat.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm in Texas, hence the heat.
Awesome! My old stomping ground! Know it like the back of my hand.
What part you in?

Still want to move back someday.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Lucky you! It's really grown since I attended UT decades ago.

It's my first alma mater! Still have lots of friends there.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Every time I see this thread title,
I think of that good 'ol song made famous by Sammy Hagar-
'I can't drive 55!' When it was the Natl. speed limit. Most young'uns never new that .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On a GSXR it's hard to drive anything less than 65 in 6th because once it's starts lugging and you drop to 5th..... bingo your doin almost 80 & you'll soon see those pretty blue flashing lights behind you about to give you a safe diving award. ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts