Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my k4 to a fellow rider that owns an auto repair shop, to have him mount my new tires. The rear was a breeze, but the front is a different story. He made a tool to fit in the hex opening, and after loosening the securing screws, tried with all 240 lbs of himself to loosen the axel, but to no avail. Does anyone have a suggestion for loosening it, or a reason this is happening?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
did u leave the two pinch screws on the left side of the fork tightened? and the pinch nuts on the right side loosened? u might also want to use somethin to give u some torque such as a long pipe. i just removed my front wheel to inspect and lube the axle after i had a spill. i took it off with little problems. it was just having to find something to use to undo the axle, i used a spark plug remover backwards. i think what u guys didnt do was loosen the pinch nuts on the right side o the fork

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
did u leave the two pinch screws on the left side of the fork tightened? and the pinch nuts on the right side loosened? u might also want to use somethin to give u some torque such as a long pipe. i just removed my front wheel to inspect and lube the axle after i had a spill. i took it off with little problems. it was just having to find something to use to undo the axle, i used a spark plug remover backwards. i think what u guys didnt do was loosen the pinch nuts on the right side o the fork
Yes, the two bolts on the left were tight and the two on the right were loose. The guy had a pipe wrench on the tool, but it
just wouldn't break loose. I don't know who tightened it last, but it seems to be torqued pretty good. I thought about using an
impact to get it off, but didn't want to risk breaking the axel or something, after all, it is hollow.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
watch the vid...i think your mechanic friend is doing it wrong...you dont start by trying to remove the hex end, that part you do last.
this is true. first thing u do is loosen the pinch nuts on the right side, or the same side as the hex nut.

also remember lefty loosy right tighty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the pinch bolts on the hex side i leave tight...i loosen the pinch bolts on the other side and remove the axle bolt.....den da udder side :thumbup:
Unfortunately, I couldn't be there to see it for myself, but he said that with the bolts loose on the left side, that aluminum ring, or nut as he called it, just spun when he turned the hex. Therefore, he tried tightening them back up and then he could no longer turn the hex. It appears that the axel is threaded into the piece on the left side, meaning it should not spin when you turn the hex. Is this correct?

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
Unfortunately, I couldn't be there to see it for myself, but he said that with the bolts loose on the left side, that aluminum ring, or nut as he called it, just spun when he turned the hex. Therefore, he tried tightening them back up and then he could no longer turn the hex. It appears that the axel is threaded into the piece on the left side, meaning it should not spin when you turn the hex. Is this correct?
the axle itself does not thread into anything.....WATCH THE VID I POSTED........please

again..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CcSb...A0F5FD&index=1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
the axle itself does not thread into anything.....WATCH THE VID I POSTED........please

again..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CcSb...A0F5FD&index=1
I did watch the video and many others, and they all have a bolt on the left side that come off first and mine doesn't. I'm pretty
sure he did it the right way and the axle would not break loose, not even move, if the bolts on the left were tight. I'll look at it myself when I pick it up.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Wow it really shouldn't be this difficult! The axle itself should never spin I dont know what your buddy it trying to do but it sounds like he's going about it the wrong way! Loosen the nut on the other side of the axle then loosen the pinch nuts and the axle will SLIDE out, not thread out!

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
:popcorn:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.