Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i need chain... so ive decied to get new chain and sprockets... Ok im thinking of going with RK kit... Now my problem is i dont which one to get do i get a 520 chain with 16 front 42 rear... or 525 with 17 front 42 rear... i want more performance but i have been reading on here that with 16 tooth front and a 520 chain i will lose alot of top end... is this true how much will i lose....

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
go with the 520 set-up. With the 1 tooth down, you'll loose maybe 5-10mph on the top. Its not much.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
1 down in front is almost equal to 2 up in rear :thumbup: deff. go with the 520 is lighter(which is unsprung weight) also take a look at "tasty nuts" lol there alot ligther and not that much :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
1 down in the front is almost 3 up in the rear, its right around 2.8 up in the rear.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
like i said almost LOL :bounce thanks for correctin me on that ski :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
well you said almost 2, when its almost 3, Just thought I'd clarify for people.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
:thumbup: :lol:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
with just a 520 chain??? i dont see how that would change anything...

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
a 520 chain is not going to do anything for top end, other than maybe give you a few tenths of a mph.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
up teeth in front sproket/down teeth in rear ='s more top speed but less acc./low end take off

down teeth in front/up in rear ='s less top speed but more acc/low end take off

gearin doesnt give you power,nor does it take power away, it just simple moves your power curve around the chart... :D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
16 is stock riiight??? i did a 44 witch is 2 up, i stayd stock in front but did do the 520 and love it...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Keep in mind that the 520 is a lighter but weaker chain... It will stretch faster as well as wear your sprockets faster. So, as with most mods there are pro's and con's. I personally dont feel the weight savings of a 520 coversion are that big a deal on a street bike. I'd prefer the strength and durability of a 525 or 530 over the weight of a 520. But it's certainly not a bad thing to do either. Just preference.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
deeeznutz said:
what kind of set up if any to improve in top end and if there is will it reduce power in takeoff?
Yes more top end will loose low end, more low end will loose top end.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
01gixxer said:
i have a 525 chain and just ordered a 16/43 sprocket set
Isn't that just +1 on that year 600? If so, you aren't going to notice much...if anything. Most people (and myself) hardly noticed anything with +2 on the rear but if you go +3 then you will feel like it's another bike. By the way, stock gearing on the 01-03 600 is 16/45...so if you go 15/45 (that's -1 front) that equals 1:3 ratio or if you go 16/48 (+3 rear) it's still 1:3 ratio with less work on the engine and chain to go around a small front sprocket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Afriend of my is trying to tell me that I shouldchange my sprockets to 17/48
stock is 16/45. He says that it will give it more torque with out losing top speed.
I do not agree with him I just wanted other opinions on it. I have been wrong once be for.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
stock final drive ratio is 2.82:1, if you go +1+3 (17/48) it's going to be 2.81:1, you won't feel a thing. He's probably under the illusion that if you go up in the rear you gain power blahblahblah, he doesn't know what he's talking about, don't listen to him.
I lost about 25-30 off top end on my 750. But you gain a lot of low end. I actually just ordered new chain and sprockets, went out today and went to clutch up 2nd and heard my chain whipping over my sprocket, that was that for those teeth. I ordered a new 525 steel stock gearing. If you run from the cops a lot, especially in the highway you'll want all the top end you can get, I want that top end. Also if you do a lot of wheelies you probably want a steel sprocket, it's not going to rear nearly as fast, I think they come with a 20k warrenty

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.