Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I use to clean my chain? Some people recommend WD40. I've heard others use brake cleaner. Of course kerosene too.

Also what chain wax do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Don't Use Wd-40 it will ruin your Orings, Use kerosene, and then use Maxima CHain wax, use the wax after you have gone on atleast a 5 min ride to heat the shain up so the wax will stick to it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thanks Ski...gotta go ride to the shop to get supplies...oh yeah, Just a stiff bristle brush will do right?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
you dont want metal bristles, nothing too stiff or it will tear up the O rings, use a rag first then the brush, if they have something called the Grunge Brush, get that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
use kerosene
go to a bike shop a buy a 'grunge brush'
and use a name brand wax base lube
done and done

·
Registered
38 Posts
I take care of my chain by cleaning it with kerosene and then giving it a generous coat of gear oil (the type that is used in car's manual transmission).

The only prob is that it will fling off so you have to let it drip dry and the stuff really stinks. But I keep my bike in a shack out back.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
**** said:
I take care of my chain by cleaning it with kerosene and then giving it a generous coat of gear oil (the type that is used in car's manual transmission).

The only prob is that it will fling of so you have to let it drip dry and the stuff really stinks. But I keep my bike in a shack out back.
the gear oil with come off after a few miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
thats true but I usually lube my chain every time I clean the bike which is about every week or two. I prob only ride about twice between cleanings.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
the chain wax lasts for like 600 miles.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
yea, thats one of my race picutes. I needa get a better one on here.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool pic Ski. Argh... Any alternatives to kerosene? It is a little scarce out here in Central Fl. Everyone buying it for the incoming Hurricaine Frances...!#$%$^#&$*#! LOL. First Charley.(sorry Charley, try again.) Now Frances. LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the service manual for my '02 600 and they said to clean with karosene and lube with just motor oil, but I can certinally see why you'd want something thicker so that it doesn't come off as easily.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Reyd1 said:
Cool pic Ski. Argh... Any alternatives to kerosene? It is a little scarce out here in Central Fl. Everyone buying it for the incoming Hurricaine Frances...!#$%$^#&$*#! LOL. First Charley.(sorry Charley, try again.) Now Frances. LOL
There are some companies out there tha make a chain specific cleaner, have your local dealer look in the Parts Unlimited catlouge, they should have something, You want something that won't eat up or dry out the o-rings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with Ski I use kero on a rag and wipe the chain down hard I dont
use any more kero than nesessary to keep the slop down and keep wiping
till the rag comes up clean I dry the chain Then spray with Maxima Chainwax
I let it dry for 20 min then ride and get it hot and reapply the Chainwax When
ever I go on a ride over 100 miles I lube the chain when I get back When I
see the Gold chain start to look a little black I clean it Yes its a time
consuming pain inthe ass One of my friends got close to 30k out of a chain
using this process But Ithink he even more peticular than me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts