Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· Dem Broncos!!!
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tuesday I was rolling home from work. Once I got off the highway, I pulled up to a light. Light turned green and off I went. I was at about 8k in 2nd gear and pop, chain broke. As soon as I felt/heard it snap I grabbed a fist full of clutch and looked down. Oil was squirting all over my left boot. Once I saw the oil I hit the kill switch right away.

After the engine shut off I started thinking to myself "ok relax, no hard breaking and no sudden movements". Because I was sure there was oil all over my back tire.

My next thought was keeping her as straight as I could because my chain could wrap around the axle or the back sprocket at any time. And knowing I was rolling in a trail of oil I could go down any minute.

I coasted to a stop on the side of the road and pushed her to a gas station 20-30 feet to the right.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Vehicle

Automotive tire Tire Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle

Auto part Vehicle Exhaust system Automotive tire Automotive exhaust

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle drivetrain part Wheel Vehicle

A fellow rider in a truck stopped and helped me load my bike and took me home. Shout out to him for helping me out!

· Dem Broncos!!!
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Once I got her on the stand I assed the damage.

Removed the engine sprocket cover and cleaned some of the road grime away and saw the crack in the crankcase :damn: the chain had whipped around the front sprocket with enough force to cause this damage.

The cracks are just to the right of the water pump on the crankcase :damn:
Auto part Metal Tool accessory Pipe

Auto part Machine tool Wheel Tire Rim

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Water Rim

After inspecting the chain it was easy to spot the reason. The clip on link had failed. I've always cleaned and lubed my chain at least every once every other week. This is my 3rd EK chain I've had on this bike and never had a problem with chains or clip style links before.

NEVER AGAIN. Ill be using rivet style links from now on.

So here's my question gents...

I know my way around a tool box and I'm pretty confident I can fix this myself. But is it worth it to repair?

Can anyone give me a guess or a rough estimate of cost for this repair?

Cheers,
3-N

· Registered
805 Posts
I still feel bad for ya when I hear this man. Especially since you just put that work in painting it and getting it so clean, but at least your ok it could have gotten bad. You price your parts your going to need yet?

· Dem Broncos!!!
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still feel bad for ya when I hear this man. Especially since you just put that work in painting it and getting it so clean, but at least your ok it could have gotten bad. You price your parts your going to need yet?
Not sure on parts/pricing yet. Just started doing the research tonight

· Premium Member
15,113 Posts
Damn man, when I saw the title I hoped it was something you saw and/or wanted to ask about. Very sorry to hear about it. Im not sure of the cost to repair it or how/if insurance handles it. Its never happened to me. I wish you luck tho.

On another note dude...GOOD JOB keeping it safe and upright!

· Dem Broncos!!!
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn man, when I saw the title I hoped it was something you saw and/or wanted to ask about. Very sorry to hear about it. Im not sure of the cost to repair it or how/if insurance handles it. Its never happened to me. I wish you luck tho.

On another note dude...GOOD JOB keeping it safe and upright!
:thumbup: thanks bud. I thought I was going down for sure. I'm super lucky this shit didn't happen on the highway

· Registered
6,019 Posts
honestly your best bet is to go engine shopping. I dont know what part is crackeds, If it is the actual case or the oil pan or something like that. If its the case... I highly recommend buying a new one. Do not JB weld it please

· Dem Broncos!!!
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
honestly your best bet is to go engine shopping. I dont know what part is crackeds, If it is the actual case or the oil pan or something like that. If its the case... I highly recommend buying a new one. Do not JB weld it please
Yeah def no jb weld in my future. I don't trust that stuff.

The only cracks I see are just under the front sprocket. Everything else around that area looks good from what I can see

· Registered
496 Posts
wow..glad you are ok..could have been a lot worse. from the pics the chain looks a little old..how old was it? it's weird that the clip is still intact too.
g/l..hopefully you'll find a good replacement engine.

· Dem Broncos!!!
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow..glad you are ok..could have been a lot worse. from the pics the chain looks a little old..how old was it? it's weird that the clip is still intact too.
g/l..hopefully you'll find a good replacement engine.
Chain was only 4k miles old. Yeah the clip for the link was still there. It's the link itself that broke :damn:

· Dem Broncos!!!
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive wheel system

Metal Tire Silver Aluminium Automotive wheel system

Water Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Just took off the water pump and Yeah it's the case that's cracked not the oil pan :damn: looks like I'm screwed :(

I have full coverage so ill see what insurance says. I might count this bike as a loss though :(

Part out thread may be in the near future...

· Polkaroo
730 Posts
View attachment 43513 View attachment 43521 View attachment 43529

Just took off the water pump and Yeah it's the case that's cracked not the oil pan :damn: looks like I'm screwed :(

I have full coverage so ill see what insurance says. I might count this bike as a loss though :(

Part out thread may be in the near future...
Bro, insurance isn't going to cover a mechanical failure - DON'T CALL THEM!!!!

If you find that it's too expensive to fix, then make the bitch disappear and report it stolen. Or put it in the back of your truck and push it out on the interstate at 70mph. Fuck it up, but don't tell them it was mechanical.

· Registered
2,747 Posts
Damn bro:( I am sorry to hear this. Collect insurance money buy another bike and keep this one and bam track bike! Let me know if you do something with the whole bike you are close enough I might be interested in buying the bike the way it sits let me know.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

· Dem Broncos!!!
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bro, insurance isn't going to cover a mechanical failure - DON'T CALL THEM!!!!

If you find that it's too expensive to fix, then make the bitch disappear and report it stolen. Or put it in the back of your truck and push it out on the interstate at 70mph. Fuck it up, but don't tell them it was mechanical.
:shifty: I'm not about fraud bro.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.