Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding on the freeway at about 80 miles per hour, when I heard a loud clunk right away my engine did not propel the bike whatsoever. I didn't know what happened at the moment but when I turned my throttle I wasn't going anywhere. I was in the fast lane and went all the way to the right into the emergency Lane and hopped off my bike to see what happened. What I seen was that my chain was missing. That's all I thought happened so I pushed my bike for like 10 minutes off to the first exit which is where I went into a parking lot in front of my school. Took a deeper look and realize that when the chain went and fed through the sprocket at its last cycle before it flew off is smacked my rear swingarm and dented it, chipped up my rear sprocket, and I'm pretty sure it cracked the front sprocket cover, but I am not sure what other damage other than the front sprocket cover has been done. I am hoping that I just have to replace my front sprocket cover, my rear sprocket, get a new chain, and I do not know about my swingarm. Pictures for you guys to look at, I am hoping I don't have to get a new engine...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
I can see why the chain departed just by looking at that front sprocket..

Otherwise, it looks like you got off easy. Is the crankcase OK forward of the front sprocket?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hard to tell but your pics seem to suggest that the front sprocket is a cushioned type. But there are no marks from the chain hitting the cushion. What is it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Otherwise, it looks like you got off easy. Is the crankcase OK forward of the front sprocket?
I will open everything up Thursday, and see what is going on with it. But hopefully the chain only broke the sprocket cover!!. It's not leaking any oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

But if only the sprocket cover is broken, should I replace the two sprockets, new cover & get a new chain and be good from there?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hard to tell but your pics seem to suggest that the front sprocket is a cushioned type. But there are no marks from the chain hitting the cushion. What is it?
Is a cushioned sprocket good? What should I replace it with? You said "what is it?" What do you mean?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Then when we tell someone with a rusted out chain to change it out they seem reluctant. Cheap insurance. You're lucky it didn't cut your leg.

Always check your master link guys!

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
But if only the sprocket cover is broken, should I replace the two sprockets, new cover & get a new chain and be good from there?
You won't know till you take the cover off, but if it's not leaking oil, that is a good sign.

Yes, new chain and both sprockets. I'm pretty sure the rear sprocket is worn out also.

Use a riveted chain. Have someone that knows what they are doing to rivet it on. Don't over tighten the chain.

·
SuperMod of the North
24,869 Posts
You definitely need sprockets. The front is worn well past the point of needing to be replaced. The teeth are worn and your old chain was very likely stretched. If you put a new chain on those sprockets it will not seat correctly in the teeth due to the wear; this will cause the new chain to fail prematurely as well. Get the whole kit and make sure to use a riveted master link not the clip style. Riveted is stronger and more reliable.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Lets be clear here. This wasn't a problem with the chain, or sprockets. It was with the human and lack of chain maintenance.

DON'T put a cheap set of sprockets and chain on it! Buy a quality set- do some research.
Almost always- the sprockets are changed with a new chain too. Sometimes- WITH proper maintenance, you can sometimes get away with 2 chains for one set of sprockets- IF you're lubing when you should, and always keep the chain tension in spec.

Have you read your manual regarding this? Do you tighten it regularly- and check the tension before every day of riding? Do you check your tire pressures before every day of riding?
As said, you're lucky it didn't take a huge chunk out of your leg/thigh when it departed.

One of my good friends, software engineer for Rockwell, has 2 new Kawi's, never even checked his chain tension, never lubed it, etc. Lucky for him I caught it before it departed too.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,692 Posts
Glad you weren't injured - as pointed out this was the result of a lack of maintenance.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cushioned sprockets, they are commonly used as OEM and look like the one pictured here:
The chain links contact the rubber on the side just before contacting the metal teeth, which greatly reduces the clicking noise. As I said, yours seems to have the rubber on the sides. But I don't see any faint markings associated with the chain touching them. So it's not clear what you have.

Cushioned sprockets are available in the aftermarket but most people buy uncushioned versions.

In any event I see the tip of one tooth is broken, possibly from the chain coming off. So it will have to be replaced.

As others have said here, this reeks of poor chain maintenance.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I can't preach about chain maintenance because I did nearly the same thing many years ago on a built KZ650. My chain didn't come off and it locked up the rear tire, at somewhere around 130mph. It's a wonder that I didn't wreck and kill myself. I was stupendously lucky that day.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Am I the only one wondering how the hell the chain did that to the top of the swingarm? Break on the bottom and whip around the rear sprocket??? Crazy.

·
SuperMod of the North
24,869 Posts
Am I the only one wondering how the hell the chain did that to the top of the swingarm? Break on the bottom and whip around the rear sprocket??? Crazy.
My guess is the tail of the chain was thrown out by centrifugal force when it exited the rear sprocket. I haven't seen that either.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The chain will always snap on the part that has tension. That is always at the top part. When it snaps it becomes a whip. Can chop your leg pretty good. Leave that chain guard folks. It's there for a reason.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Hell yeah, he got off easy. Only time that ever happened to me, the chain wrapped around the front sprocket and broke the transmission. Of course, this was on a Yamaha seca II POS that was my first street bike 17 years ago.

Learned a valuable lesson about maintaining my chain...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts