Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed my rear sprocket. The front sprocket and chain were fine. I hadn't cleaned my chain in a while and after I did, I am hearing this mild "oscillating, grinding" sound. The chain is at good tension and the rear tire is lined up perfect. Anyone know what the dealy is?

·
Registered
600 Posts
The chain should have about an inch or two of "flex" or moveability. Try taking the chain off an soaking it in oil for a day or two. Maybe go as far as spraying with WD-40 to get all the old crud off it. I figure its just less of a headache to do all 3 at the same time....front sprockets are 15$ and chains are like $100

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Do you have the correct size sprocket when you changed it?

those most common sizes just make sure you get the right one for front/rear and chain

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
if you didn't take care of the chain then the O rings might be shot and you just the chain rubbing metal on metal, thats most likely what the sound is, get a new chain.

·
Registered
522 Posts
How many miles have u gone on the chain u have? Id replace all three at the same time. When u do; use a 520 chain and sprockets. I made the switch and its mucho bueno. :thumbup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the problem...I already have a 520 conversion. When I cleaned/lubed it, I didn't reach all the way around. I scrubed the whole thing with a wire brush and lubed it with some lithium grease. There was a spot that was heavily crusty. Runs like a champ now. Thanx for the help guys. :thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sprocket conversion

Hey, I'm seriously thinkinhg of doing the sprocket conversion deal but my question is do I purchase both front and rear sprockets plus chain?I have a 04 GSXR 600 so far stocked.I've heard that I should go 1 down in the front and 2 up in the front for better acceleration..can u elaborate on this also? :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
1 down front up 2 back.. I did it recently gives you a little kick. You can get a kit front rear and chain at your local dealer. Definately do all three as the chain is specific to the new gears

1 - 8 of 8 Posts