Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the site as I've had so many opinions from weekend mechanics. No doubt this is where to get the right advice.
I've had what I can only describe as break fade when my bike is hot in traffic and so on.
A few guys have said I should change the break system on my K3 gsxr for the brakes off of an R6 or R1 as they are better.
Can anyone advise on this. Personally I'd say it's blasphemy but hey if some break system stops any unforeseen issues I'd prefer being safer. I plan on changing to beaded hoses as well just in case there is an issue with the standard pipes.
Has anyone else heard of or done a change with them?

·
SuperMod of the North
27,275 Posts
I have heard of "upgrades" using Yamaha parts but don't know much about the fitment. You are going to see an improvement with braided lines. Fresh fluid and a well bled system is the first thing I'd check. It seems odd to me it fades in traffic. I would expect this when you are at the track or riding hard with hot brakes. Are you meaning stop and go traffic jam type conditions where you may be riding the brakes or are we talking about city driving?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Just joined the site as I've had so many opinions from weekend mechanics. No doubt this is where to get the right advice.
I've had what I can only describe as break fade when my bike is hot in traffic and so on.
A few guys have said I should change the break system on my K3 gsxr for the brakes off of an R6 or R1 as they are better.
Can anyone advise on this. Personally I'd say it's blasphemy but hey if some break system stops any unforeseen issues I'd prefer being safer. I plan on changing to beaded hoses as well just in case there is an issue with the standard pipes.
Has anyone else heard of or done a change with them?
Are you racing? Do you ride aggressively at high speeds? Then you OEM brakes should work more than good enough.
Do the pads still have a good layer on them?
When/have you changed the brake fluid?
Have you 'bled' them properly?
If they are within spec and the lines bled, then there should be no problem for any type of normal brake use.
IMHO

I have heard of "upgrades" using Yamaha parts but don't know much about the fitment. You are going to see an improvement with braided lines. Fresh fluid and a well bled system is the first thing I'd check. It seems odd to me it fades in traffic. I would expect this when you are at the track or riding hard with hot brakes. Are you meaning stop and go traffic jam type conditions where you may be riding the brakes or are we talking about city driving?
What he said.

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Welcome. As Tin mentioned above, try a brake fluid flush with fresh fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and the moisture in old fluid will turn to gas and make the brakes soft when things get hot.

You might also try a fresh set of brake pads.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I have done the R6 caliper swap on my k1 600 it's a HUGE improvement over stock, but to do this you'll need to swap front suspension off of a 04-05 600 for the r6 calipers to mount up probably and so you can still use your front wheel. But like John and Tin recommend swap out fluid and I would recommend Brembo pads

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,748 Posts
1)If your lever has a good feel when you leave before each ride and you've done nothing after each ride to fix the soft feel when you return....

-Typically a soft lever that comes after aggressive riding is due to the heat transfer from the pads to the fluid which causes the OEM rubber hoses to relax giving the lever a squishy feel. (Old brake fluid exacerbates this so will old pads)

*replace lines with braided, new fluid.

**This is a good time to install new pads, deglaze rotors, clean buttons, and give those calipers a good scrub, making sure you not to forget those pistons too.

2)If you are having to bleed the lines before each ride to establish a good lever; Then it's one of several things. Bad MC or air is getting in the system.

*Replace all crush washers then tighten all banjo bolts to spec. Install fresh fluid Motul RB600). Its good practice to repeat this after a quick ride to ensure all air has risen to the reservoir even if lever feels good.

*Make sure as well the resevoir isn't tilted in such a way as to allow air to infiltrate during cornering. The level can look fine while the bike is straight up and down with the reservoir tilted but doesnt mean it can't suck in air when the bike is tilted as well during cornering. Keep fluid at recommend level.

-if continues replace oem brake lines with braided.

-if it still continues is most likely the MC, rebuild or replace.

Suggestions

For street; stock MC, calipers, rotors are all more than sufficient with a decent set of pads. What isn't is the rubber oem brake lines. Replace those with braided, its the best upgrade you can do for braking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks.
I am on and off the brakes quite a lot. There are a lot of rather nice roads in Scotland. Last test or mot in the UK the mechanic said look at the state of your tyres. The bike starts off fine but later on the way home they just feel like they are not slowing me down. Pads are just less that half way through and oil is changed at least once a year.
I don't imagine the break lines have been changed, I haven't at least.
We had been doing the Northern 500 the first time I notived, they haven't been the same since always after they heat up and on the way home end of day.
Thanks for the advice.
Looks like it's either new beaded lines a caliper refurb or a front suspension and R6 break set up.
On the R6 breaks are the rear interchangeable or is it just the front.

·
Administrator
5,355 Posts
My thoughts
Find some either new or used brembo calipers a brembo MC vesarh pads braided lines motul brake fluid and call it a day. I change the brake fluid in both of my bikes every six months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My thoughts
Find some either new or used brembo calipers a brembo MC vesarh pads braided lines motul brake fluid and call it a day. I change the brake fluid in both of my bikes every six months.
Sounds like a way forward. I'm in Scotland, I don't take the gsxr out during the winter as the roads are absolutely terrible here. Even worse when they grit them. I keep a GS for that time of year. The GS isn't as much fun on the twisty roads though 😁. Hopefully back to watch the TT all going well with this covid joke just now. A ride round that course on the open days is a must, keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
On my set up on my k5 1000, I've went to K9 monobloc calipers.
I've been using my stock- recall version of my K5 MC.
Bill and others suggest a slightly smaller diameter one. IIRC, he suggested the K9 Mc also to get the ration better?

So, today I also purchased an Ebay K9 MC for it. I hope it's a slight improvement as well.
I had the EBC HH pads, initially they were WAY better, now with plenty of pad left- not as catchy as when new.
I think I'll go with the next grade of EBC pads maybe too? I'll wait though until I try the new MC first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts