Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a set of Harris grips and didnt have any troubles with the left grip, but I ruined the right grip trying to get it over the throttle. I bought a new set, need advice on installing them before I ruin another set. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
soap would work and it will driy as well so then you will have no problem with them sliding around. :thumbup:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
audi1031 said:
soap would work and it will driy as well so then you will have no problem with them sliding around. :thumbup:
I tried soapy water, and that worked well on the left side but I was having trouble geting the grip over the "lip" of the throttle. I was just thinking as I was typing this-maybe if I heat up the grips with a blow dryer(dont tell my wife) since it was cold enough to see my breath in the garage. what do u think?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
the heat should help, if that still doesn't work, just cut that little lip off of the throttle tube, I like to use spray paint or hair spray to help slip the grips on easier and then act like a non permanent glue.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Just in case......... have to ask........... you do know they are two different sizes right.

Spray paint is my lube of choice though.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I would hope he knows, but those harris grips suck, they are two part the inner liner with the graphics, thats what makes them such a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah they do suck. Thats how they got ruined- the black liner got pushed back and all the graphics scratched off. Two sizes? Do you mean the left and right grips have two different sizes? I didnt know that, but the grips did have a left and right label on them so I got that much right.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Yea, because the one is just going on the handle bar and the other one has to go on the throttle tube which is over the handle bar.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I personally like the Pro Grip brand grips, they make the grips with 2 different rubbers and they are really comfortable. They make a couple different models that are good. Thats what I always use. I'll post up some pics when i get home, that is if I can remember.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hair spray works well, so does that elmers spray glue which is not very permanent either. Heating the grip should help out a good bit also. If none of the prior posting works then I would recomend just buying different grips.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys, using the blow dryer is the way to go. They just slid right on very easily. but now I got a new problem. The bike is a 2005 GSXR-750, and as I was changing the throttle grip I noticed that I was turning the throttle as if giving gas while trying to slide on the grip....well after two or three twists I realized what I was doing and I was afraid that I might have flooded it- so I turned the engine over for a coulpe of seconds and then turned it off. The next day I went to start the bike up to go for a ride and it sounded like it was choking and kept stalling. I thought that it was just cold- so I took it for a spin around the block and it started back firing and putting along and choking.

I need help/advice. Its brand new, I only use 93 or higher octane, I start the bike once every week or two weeks, only around 340 miles on it and the only performance mods that I made was a bolt on Blue Flame exhaust. I started to troubleshoot it by taking off the new exhaust and putting back on the stock can- but it still does the same thing. Sorry for the long letter but I just wanted you guys to know the full story so that I can get some good feedback. Im starting a new thread so please respond there.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
yea so i figured id look ask in this old thread rather then making a new one. I searched but im still confused. Im trying to install my harris grips. i got the left on one ok but he right one wont go over the lip on the throttle. should i cut the lip off? or should I try shoving the grip on over it? its a k7 600. anyone else do it themselves and have some pointers? also the old grip wraps around the back side of the throttle tube. did you just cut it around the tube? thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is not a big deal to do. I have the Harris grips and I love them. All you need to do is take a air nozzle from a compressor and blow air under the edge, and they go right on (the old grips also come off easy that way too). No heat, no lube, and they stick good. The throttle side is a little harder because of the lip, but still, I replaced my grips in about 10 minutes.

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
This is not a big deal to do. I have the Harris grips and I love them. All you need to do is take a air nozzle from a compressor and blow air under the edge, and they go right on (the old grips also come off easy that way too). No heat, no lube, and they stick good. The throttle side is a little harder because of the lip, but still, I replaced my grips in about 10 minutes.

great idea, got some gel grips comin, will try that :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have though about getting some gel grips, but don't have patience to put them on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.