Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until recently, I had not changed my motorbike tires in decades- doing this, and watching YouTubes I have perfected a method.
If you have a Tire bead breaking and mounting tool, you don't need this Post on this.

This is a separate thread on how to change Motorcycle tires without high dollar tools, the easy way. No rims will be harmed in the making of this thread LOL

You have to get your bike on stands, hang it, etc. to get your wheels off- be creative if you don't have stands,- just don't drop your Motorbike.

With the wheels off- remove the valve core- simple little tool, (sometimes on bicycle caps) to let all the air out.
I'm not going over removing the wheels. Once the wheel is off, you have to break the bead somehow. I've read all about the 'no-mar' tire changers and the look alike knock offs. And about the Harbor Freight ones too. After watching several DIY YouTubes, I gave this a shot. Using wood scraps I had, 2x4 scrap, and my truck. Of course pad things and/or use 2x4's underneath to protect the rotors.
I used a ~5ft piece and a ~3" piece of 2x4 scraps I had laying around.
Place the short piece right against the rim on the tire bead. I used my Dakota Truck on the rear leaf spring for the leverage point as shown in the picture.- You can get creative with this too- you just need a good stable leverage point. Push on the short piece with the long 2X4 for leverage.

The rear took a few tires, but after several attempts, it popped off! Pop a little more next to it off the bead, then you can stand in it with your tennis shoes on and pop the rest.
You have to do both sides, as in turning the rim over.- This step to break the bead only takes a few minutes.

I did purchase One Motion Pro Tire tool, 16" from Ebay, and used my old 8" tire tools I had from before. Once the bead was popped from the edge, I put my old and new tools to work. I was going to try the Large zip ties here too, but I didn't think I could get them under the tire when it was still on the rim- so I didn't try it. I did it the old fashioned way with the tire irons, and some very soapy water. Next time I'll slide the re-usable large Zip ties I have and take them off the Zip Tie method too!
I cut up a think plastic bottle to use as a rim protector.
You can see my old tools and the new one.
I only purchased one new/long- I actually didn't need any more and it actually came off pretty easy really- for not having done it in many decades!

Once I got the one side off, I reached in and place some plastic in on the rim, and used the long iron from over the rim, under the tire lip, and pryed it way back and pushed really hard with my hands, and viola, the other side popped off too! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Here is just after it popped off both sides.

This is Really Cool Part! Mounting the tires with no tire irons!! I Saw this on YouTube also.
I had just bought 6 long wide Re usable Zip Ties just for this! You push the tire down with foot or hand and zip it all the way tight.

Then I used our concentrated dish soap, a little water and small rag and lubed the edges up good.
Then I popped half of it on by hand and while laying it flat, stood on the edge and hopped a little and it popped on! Less than a minute!

I used the old front I had taken off underneath to protect the rotors when I popped the front one on the same way.

This shows how both side pop on at once
If your tires have the little dot, it should line up with the valve stem on the rim.

Then, you release the tab on the re-usable heavy duty Zip ties and slide them out of the tire.
(You could use larger regular ones- less $$ per tie, and cut them off too)

Replace the valve cores in the tire valve stems.
(You could get some online and change those out too if needed)
Get your/an air compressor- and inflate the tires- the bead will go 'Pop' - Don't try a hand or foot pump for ths step.
Set the tire pressure where you want it.

Now - Balancing!
Yes, you can spend $$ and get a 'balancing stand', etc.
OR- buy a pack of 1/4oz stick on weights- (I bought black ones b/c my OEM rims are black)
Put the axle, and/of a rod thru the wheel bearings, and
Place them on a set of 4x4 boards standing upright. (you could use car jack stands, bricks, blocks, etc.)
Spin the wheel (tire and rim), mark where is stops several times, begin sticking the weights on the top/across from where the heavy side rested down.
Do this until the wheel stops at random places. This should be obvious when spinning it gently- and stopping in the same place downward.
If it has no definite repeatable place it stops, don't add any weights- chances are it's already good balance.

I've read may posts from several seasoned riders who have said they don't even balance their tires they mount, of they only do the front.

I went from a set of Q3+'s- mounted and computer spin balanced at a motorbike shop near me. ~ 2 years/~9K miles on them.
This set I mounted and what I called ghetto balanced- are smoother than the Dunlops were new IIRC. Mirrors got less of a blur also.

So- there you have it, low $$ way to safely and easily remove, mount and balance your new tires!!

I'm getting old these days (now 60), and this was WAY easier than I remember it being when I did this a teenager/early 20's.
But then, I DIDN'T have the longer tire iron, I DIDN'T use zip ties, I DIDN'T use the 2x4/leverage bead breaker, no soap, etc.
Seems I'm smarter now? I doubt it :cool:

Reactions: GIXXER-750-BOY

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts