Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting into some hobby racing. I'm not fast, even though I have an 03 gsxr 1000... It's more bike than I need on a track really, but does fine for the road since I don't ride that hard. I just don't want to work on improving my riding on a nice, expensive bike...and on the roads where debris and idiot drivers exist...

So I'm thinking about a cheap track bike to begin making weekend trips to tracks with, just for fun. I would like something that I don't have to worry about laying down. Something that I don't have to work on... and something that's race ready. I'm not all familiar with all the requirements for a track bike, so I want it already set up.

I don't care if it's been laid down before, but I don't want something that will have problems handling due to damage.

I'm thinking about something like an ex500, possibly a 600...but would consider a 750 if the price is right. I don't care what brand of bike it is either.

I'm pretty good with handling the throttle, but don't think I want to extend my limits on a 1000.

So...anybody know where I can get a cheap track bike?

Also, what tracks are closest to east Tennessee?

I'd also be open to the possibility of some rashed up gear, so I don't have to wear the nice looking stuff I have for street use.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
go to www.nesba.com and look in the classifieds...you would want a ninja 500 or a 600?!?!? pretty big difference. SV's have a really strong aftermarket (and you'll need it cause things break) if you decide a SV is right for you, go for one that is 03 or newer (fuel injected) you can pick them up relatively cheap too. for more info on sv's go to www.svrider.com

how much are you looking to spend? cheap is a pretty broud word :lol:

go to www.cbr600rr.com and www.600rr.net there are plenty of race prepped bikes goin for $6000-6500 if you are looking at buying one i'd recommend you speak to "bigtuna" he's a reputable person on both forums.

good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
oh yeah, part of the reason the sv's are so popular in racing is because they are cheap and quick (not 600 quick but alot better then a ninja 500). there should be for sale all over www.nesba.com and www.svrider.com

if your looking to buy a 600, now would be the time to look for the 600RR's because alot of people are looking to upgrade to the 05 RR (changing for 05)

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
The SV 650 is an extremely good bike to learn the track on. I would definatly reccomend looking into one of those. There are a lot of race bikes for sale in the back of Road Racing World magazine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm selling my 00 750 that is already set up for race $4900, will get you on the track. It has a newly rebuilt 02 motor with new cams, ports poilished, tranny undercut... If still interested I can provide you w/ more info. It is the blue &white. I put less than 3K miles on the 02 engine. Hit me for more info and details if interested. I have more pics, but they are the stock version I'm trying to sell on this site.http://img57.exs.cx/img57/859/raceii8yi.jpg :thumbup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
i want to buy a cheap sv for a track bike too. I tried last summer but ran out of money, maybe this will be the year.

- Jared -

1 - 8 of 8 Posts