Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Chrome does NOT weaken the wheels. Chrome is only an electo plate. The metal is dipped and electrically chraged so that the plating sticks to it.

Now how can this weaken the rims.

Now it is theorized and I guess a possibility that POLISHING can weaken the rims if too much metal is removed, but this is not usually the case and the minimal amount of metal that is removed would cause a negligable weaking of the rims.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have heard that the chroming process (all of the acid and chemical dips) can damage the integrity of the metal that is chromed. Whether it is true or not, I don't think I would take the chance on my wheels, frame, swingarm etc. That being said, the picture is a bike like mine, but not my bike. Take of the chrome and you have my bike.

Devil shotgun high mounts rock! The sound is aggressive without being obnoxious (like d & d). At the track you can follow the sound all the way around with your eyes closed.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Motojoe_23 said:
Chrome does NOT weaken the wheels. Chrome is only an electo plate. The metal is dipped and electrically chraged so that the plating sticks to it.

Now how can this weaken the rims.

Now it is theorized and I guess a possibility that POLISHING can weaken the rims if too much metal is removed, but this is not usually the case and the minimal amount of metal that is removed would cause a negligable weaking of the rims.

Sorry bro, you are wrong on this one. Think about it. All the acids that the wheels are going through. When you charge the wheels to plate them the ions in the metal move around and weaken the structural integrety of the aluminum. There have been people who have plated them and had few problems. Others get totally screwed. One guy from here had his done and they cracked really bad. It also adds weight.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
wickmaster said:
Sorry bro, you are wrong on this one. Think about it. All the acids that the wheels are going through. When you charge the wheels to plate them the ions in the metal move around and weaken the structural integrety of the aluminum. There have been people who have plated them and had few problems. Others get totally screwed. One guy from here had his done and they cracked really bad. It also adds weight.
The weight it MINIMAL. chrome is a VERY thin plating
Decorative chrome plating is sometimes called nickel-chrome plating because bright chrome plating always involves plating nickel before plating the chrome. The nickel provides the reflectivity and most of the corrosion resistance. The chrome plating is exceptionally thin, measured in millionths of an inch rather than in thousandths
And as far as it weakening the metal, Do you really think they would be able to chrome wheels..... let alone SELL NEW chrome wheels if they were weakend to a level that might be unsafe..... think about the lawsuit possibilities.

Find ONE article anywhere that PROVES chrome plating weakens bike rims.. or any rim for that matter, and I'll believe it. ;)

The guy you speak of. did his RIMS crack, or did the chrome plating crack. A poor chrome job, and a poor nickle coating can cause the rims PLATING to corrode from the inside of the plating out, thus making it peal and crack. Once that happens a steal rim can rust underneath causing weakness, but we are talking about aluminum/magnesium wheels here. not steal.

Charging a FERROUS metal will align the MOLECULES in such a way as to be able to cause magetism, but in a NON FERROUS metal it does no such thing.

An Ion is a particle with a charge (negative or positive) but in no way is it any different from any of the other particles other than that.

Electric charge does nothing more than move electrons from negativelely charged Ions (excess of electrons) to positively charged ones (doesnt have enough electrons) The core of the atom does not change. Electrons are all that can move.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Motojoe_23 said:
The guy you speak of. did his RIMS crack, or did the chrome plating crack. A poor chrome job, and a poor nickle coating can cause the rims PLATING to corrode from the inside of the plating out, thus making it peal and crack. Once that happens a steal rim can rust underneath causing weakness, but we are talking about aluminum/magnesium wheels here. not steal.

They cracked real bad. I think he was gsxrsrad1000???? not sure. I will have to find some articles for you to read. It had been proven.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
wickmaster said:
They cracked real bad. I think he was gsxrsrad1000???? not sure. I will have to find some articles for you to read. It had been proven.
dude I remember readin about that. I also have heard that chromin wheels does weaken them. That dudes wheels did crack bad.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Yea moto, it was that guy, and he showed pics of it, they were cracked really bad, the whole rim, like chunks were missing.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
The pics were posted before we were hacked, huh. I'd like to show 'em to him.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
his wheels peeled okayyyyyyy
You get what ya pay for and did he take this back to the people he got it chromed? I am sure they would have fixed it? Its been a long while now since this but wheels are gonna chip reguardless of what you do. If you ride hard then you will accept that as part of riding and I have everything you can think of chromed on my bike and its does not weight like everyone thinks
your taking or etching away some then plating some as well. If you have chrome and get things done alot you will know this but to most folks they think that it puts tons of weight to your bike. I have been to plenty chrome shops and seen lots of chrome flake and peel from others as well and if you ask GSXR1000 he will tell you that the piece that came off was not heavy at all. Chrome not gonna last forever unless your bike is a Trailer queen bike ( ride on and off the trailer) Chrome doesn't flex either so any hard hit or something could easily cause things to crack.

Polishing is good as well,but you have to maintain it a little bit more and especially on the rear when you need to clean off the grease off wheel. and its takes longer and its cheaper so with that in mind you can either pay everyother 2 yrs or so depending on how hard you ride your bike (me i do it every year atleast) wipe off and rollout or polish and clean spendng about 1 or so cleaning it then riding it. Sorry my grammer and run-on sentances etc but i think that you'll get the ideal :thumbup:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have never heard of chroming a wheel weakening it. I work in a tire shop where we send stuff out to get chromed and deal with all sorts of wheels.. If you crash (or hit) hard enough the wheel will crack chromed or not.. The chrome will peel eventually even with the best chroming process, just with the stress put on the lip of the wheel when the tires get changed over and over as time goes on. Chrome can get kind of heavy but not enough to really notice a difference - even on a stock 600...

People will always find ways to blame something bad happening on anything but themselves... Excuses are like ass-holes - everyone's got one..

·
Registered
164 Posts
wickmaster said:
Yup it was me, and to think I was going to go out and ride hard on these!!!

Question is how much more evidence do you need!!!???? I WILL NEVER ROLL ON CHROME RIMS AGAIN!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
03GSXR750 said:
I have never heard of chroming a wheel weakening it. I work in a tire shop where we send stuff out to get chromed and deal with all sorts of wheels.. If you crash (or hit) hard enough the wheel will crack chromed or not.. The chrome will peel eventually even with the best chroming process, just with the stress put on the lip of the wheel when the tires get changed over and over as time goes on. Chrome can get kind of heavy but not enough to really notice a difference - even on a stock 600...

People will always find ways to blame something bad happening on anything but themselves... Excuses are like ass-holes - everyone's got one..

This is the deal, its not the chroming that hurts the wheel, its the acid like mentioned above. If the acid is not neurtalized after the rim comes out the tubs, once the plate goes on, after a year or so the acid continues to eat through the rim. If you ride hard, especially in the summer time, your rim heats up and when you get off the bike it cools down. This in conjunction with the acid on the metal breaks down the integritiy of the rim and the cracks start to appear where the most force on the rim is. Simple physics with a little Chem :) I tell people if they get chrome rims, buy them chromed from the manufactuer, DO NOT GET THE DIPPED ONES!!! Or the trade in deals, you just don't know what your getting these days

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.