Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do i need to do.?

lever is a nickel size of slack...

its just that the clutch dosent engauge till it about all the way out..?

can i adjust something----

i just put new fibers, plates, springs-----7000 miles --04---1000

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Might be different on an 04 but first thing you do is crank in the clutch lever adjuster knob all the way so that the lever is loose then on the lower left side of the engine there is a round rubber boot about an inch in diameter. Pop off the boot and you should see an adjustment screw. Loosen the nut with a socket and using a flathead screwdriver back off the adjuster a couple of turns then screw it back in just until resistance is felt. Back off the adjuster one quarter turn (1/4) then tighten the nut again. Next, adjust the clutch lever knob until there is about 5mm of play or until it feels right to you.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
johnnylovely said:
Might be different on an 04 but first thing you do is crank in the clutch lever adjuster knob all the way so that the lever is loose then on the lower left side of the engine there is a round rubber boot about an inch in diameter. Pop off the boot and you should see an adjustment screw. Loosen the nut with a socket and using a flathead screwdriver back off the adjuster a couple of turns then screw it back in just until resistance is felt. Back off the adjuster one quarter turn (1/4) then tighten the nut again. Next, adjust the clutch lever knob until there is about 5mm of play or until it feels right to you.

damn, you beat me to it. well said.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Mine grabs when its all most all the way out. Did on my other bike too. Maybe I'm missing something? Pull it in about am 1/8" to a 1/4" (feels like) and ya should be slipping.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
johnnylovely said:

Im gonna try that today thanks man!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you think after i adjust this it wont be so hard to push the bike---when its in gear and not started--or do i have something eles going on..?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
whtthundysc said:
do you think after i adjust this it wont be so hard to push the bike---when its in gear and not started--or do i have something eles going on..?
I'm not sure if you messed something up on the install of the new parts but if you followed the adjustment steps posted it should be good to go. Did you torque the hub nut to the right specs? I think is should be like 105-110 lb-ft. and very important to check.

If you were to put it on a stand with the bike running in 1st gear with the clutch lever pulled in, the rear tire shouldnt really move at all. Try reving the engine with the bike in 1st with the clutch lever pulled in and see how much the wheel spins while on a stand. A very small amount of wheel spin (barely moving) is acceptable. My bike always does this regardless of how many adjustments I make.

While on the stand with the bike in gear if you let the clutch out and then back in the wheel should stop on its own after a few rotations.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it does stop and it dosent move when i have the clutch in and the bike is on the stand (running) , but its just kinda hard to push my bike when its not running and its in gear----

i never took the hub off so i didnt mess with the torque settings of it.

anthing eles i can do or check..? :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
whtthundysc said:
it does stop and it dosent move when i have the clutch in and the bike is on the stand (running) , but its just kinda hard to push my bike when its not running and its in gear----

i never took the hub off so i didnt mess with the torque settings of it.

anthing eles i can do or check..? :)
Get the owners manual and service manual. Real easy to read and download. Click and wait. Being hard to push when you have the lever all the way in is wrong. Beside adjusted wrong could be the cable housing is disconnected from one end and being tugged on that adds clutch force. Somethng is wrong if not the adjustment.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
whtthundysc said:
its just kinda hard to push my bike when its not running and its in gear----
Start going to the gym girly man. :bounce J/K

Without being there its kinda hard to help you any further. When your riding the bike does everything seem normal? Is the problem only when your trying to push it? Why are you pushing it in gear anyway put it in neutral when you move it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i noticed when i rev it up a bit then dump the clutch, a chattering noise comes from my clutch--its kinda loud--do you think it could be a throw out bearing..?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey man, have you changed your rear tire recently? I ask because something may be rubbing near the rear of the bike. This happened to me when I forgot a spacer, could barely move the bike anywhere without engine power. Check that your drive chain system is smooth and right? It's hard to diagnose sounds sometimes on a bike.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I believe I have discovered the great mystery of this clutch and why so many people have problems with it. First you need to turn the adjuster so that it bottoms out against the lever. To avoid having to raise the tank 4 or 5 times to get it right I suggest backing it out 1-2 turns (manual does not specify this). Next you need to adjust the cable end at the lower lever (left side of bike under tank). You need to set it so that you have about 1/2 of free play il the clutch lever. Now if you had done it without backing out the upper dial you are at the loosest setting you can have. I did that at first and as soon as I tried it the clutch shuddered. I have noticed that when my bike was at the dealer they would set the clutch to release too high. I believe this is what is causing most peoples problems. Before I adjusted my clutch I had an inch af free play in the lever and it never shuddered. This is why I was wondering if you could install a return spring at the bottom to keep the lever from flapping around. I could have just backed out the spin wheel some to get it right again. Dont forget once you have done the cable adjustment you have to adjust it inside the inspection cover. I have been twisting wrenches for 20 years so I know how a clutch is supposed to work or not. The engaging and disengaging has nothing to do with if it's a slipper or non slipper clutch. Besides Chip who is the authority around here say's there isn't a problem with the clutch as well. I assume Suzuki built them all the same. If you have any questions PM me and I can walk you through it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts