Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 GSXR600 and when the bike is at an idle i am getting some noise coming from my clutch. when i pull the clutch lever in the noise goes away and when i release the lever the noise comes back. any idea what the problem may be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just went out side and started the bike up and let it warm up. i thought the noise was coming from the clutch because of when i would pull the clutch lever in the knocking would go away. i put my hands on the side of the tank and can feel the knocking coming from underneath and as soon as i pull the clutch lever in it goes away. the noise is there in neutral as it is idling and when i put the bike in gear it goes away. the bike is an 02 with 24,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's SO hard to tell without hearing it. But based on mileage and what you describe it could be you cam chain. If the noise actually goes away with the clutch "pulled in" it sounds normal. How long have you had this bike? The clutch basket COULD be loose to. Were the clutch plates recently changed? These are all the things I can think of without hearing it.

BTW I love these..."my bike is making noise that sounds like_____"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just had a new clutch put in. when i bought the bike it had about 15,000 miles on it and i have made all oil changes on time. it has 24,000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'd bet it's the clutch basket or something is not torq'd to spec. Bring it back to the shop that did it...or if you did it may want to pull off the cover and make sure everything is tight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's normal if you didn't change the clutch basket. Most people will only change the clutch plates and fibers and not the basket. The basket is worn (24,000 miles) and will make that noise. If it starts vibrating or chattering when you take off change it out. When you change the basket change the clutches again too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think you might be right bout the clutch basket because the noise goes away when i pull in the clutch lever. i am still getting a lil bit of a rough idle and a slight nocking noise. i am wondering if it could be that i just may have got some bad gas because the problem just came out of nowhere. is there something i can mix with the gas to clean things up before i take it to a shop.

·
Registered
225 Posts
seafoam is the best cleaner imo. Chances are thats not the problem tho. Some of the bolts probably came loose because someone didn't use loctite. I'd take it apart and look at everything before taking it to a shop and getting billed 80 bucks to tighten a bolt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello

i have a 2002 GSXR600 and when the bike is at an idle i am getting some noise coming from my clutch. when i pull the clutch lever in the noise goes away and when i release the lever the noise comes back. any idea what the problem may be?
hello i know its been a long time for this post can you tell me how you got on because i have the same problem many thanks tony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts