Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up folks... The other day I was out practicing wheelies and burnouts with some buddies. I got off the bike and bullshat for awhile. When I got back on and took off, it felt like the clutch was barely engaging. I adjusted the cable from the lever all the way out but it barely helped. I have an 00 GSXR 600 with around 15k miles. I just replaced the oil 2 days ago. It's a little overfilled but that shouldn't account for the severity of the problem. I've never replaced the clutch and don't know what they do when they go out. Is it normal for them to take a shit that quick without warning. Does going from regular to Castrol full snyth make a difference? If it is out, how tough are they to replace?? A local dealership said they are a pain because there are 8 different plates and they have to go on in order. They want to charge me areound $300 for the clutch and labor. Should I do it myself? Thanx y'all. :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
You will know when the clutch is going out, because there won't be much play and then when you get on the gas hard, the engine will rev up but you won't gain as much speed as you are supposed to. Changing to synthetic could possibly be the problem but It depends on the type of plates you have. Practicing clutch wheelies and burnouts will definatly make your clutch toast really quick. If its stock clutch and you have 15k miles on it, thats pretty good. It is easy to change the clutch yourself, just make sure you get a new gasket and all the Fiber and steel plates and new springs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
if i can do it you can do it just remember how everything comes out. good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
I dont recomend full synthetic for the street, it is better for high heat and high rpm over a long period of time like in road racing, and can make the clutch slip slightly on street aplications. It is also very important to keep a small amount of slack in the clutch lever, if it is all the way tight that will roast the clutch because it never fully ingages.If you do cange your clutch make sure you change the oil and filter or you can fry your motor from the clutch fibers in the oil,that stuff is like poring sand in your oil.......you can do it yourself and chances are you will only need to buy the clutch fibers which sould cost about $90 and I would buy a set of barnett spings for around $15.If you are luky you wont need a gasket but chances are you will...good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
go with completely stock parts, I've only heard negative things about barrnett and others.

And Clutching up wheelies don't wear it out much more than normal, it's when you're constantly slipping it that it toasts quick.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
stock is best anything else is uncivilized :clap:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Got2josh said:
go with completely stock parts, I've only heard negative things about barrnett and others.

And Clutching up wheelies don't wear it out much more than normal, it's when you're constantly slipping it that it toasts quick.
Clutching up wheelies does wear it out way quicker than normal, all that stress and slipping before the plates grab.

I just but barnett in my bike, it was the Carbon Fiber version, not the Kevlar, and its working good. I put a kevlar one in my race bike and it was shot in 1 day at the track, will never use that thing again, but if you have the time to wait, order the stock ones, stock is always best.

·
Registered
258 Posts
yep lesson learned here been down the track cpl hundred times 1/8 and1/4 27,ooo miles on my 98 changed the oil the other day thought i would run synt so i changed it and it ran 15-30degrees hotter so went back and switched to reg and what do ya know my clutch is slipping come to find out because the synth is slicker than the reg oil its causing it to slip..but time for new clutches anyway lesson learned here..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts