Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So I've got my cases split since I'm completely restoring my bike and I had needed to replace sixth gear, which was done (roasted dogs, yummy).

So in putting it back together, there's a large gap between the oil seal and the case... Is this normal? The old oil seal seems to have a gap too but it's smaller. Am I missing something here? Did I somehow lose a part? Or am I just being paranoid? My bike has been down too long but I don't want to fuck anything up and have to pull the motor again for something stupid...

Oh yeah and it's a k5 750...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sort of a moot point now; I already put the cases back together. Even the manual seems to show a gap. Anyways I've got other problems now; screw extractor broke off in one of the engine mounting bolts 😬
20200208_141138.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,198 Posts
Sort of a moot point now; I already put the cases back together. Even the manual seems to show a gap. Anyways I've got other problems now; screw extractor broke off in one of the engine mounting bolts 😬 View attachment 293056
Do yourself a favor and take the engine to a auto engine or machine shop that can EDM that out of there. You have made a mess and will only make it worse. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Electro discharge machining is the way to go. Just had a broken stud removed by this method.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do yourself a favor and take the engine to a auto engine or machine shop that can EDM that out of there. You have made a mess and will only make it worse. Don't ask me how I know.
Yeah, I tried breaking the extractor with a punch and managed to drill the holes out to 1/4" but the bigger extractor wouldn't bite good enough, even when I ground it down to get a better fit. Just going to have to bite the bullet and take it to my local automotive machinist on Monday. Pisses me off though; really wanted to have the bike together this weekend... She's been down over four months now, the withdrawal from riding sucks (just bought the first car that I've owned in two years 🤣🤣🤣)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I may be out of date but finding someone local who can do EDM removal sounds unlikely. Here are some alternatives:
The first is scarey for an aluminum block & heads but the second, slightly redneck approach, seems to work fine.

Unfortunately it may be too late for the OP if he's been drilling holes into the broken bolt.

P.S. I find the width of the pushrod seal listed as 10 mm. The OP's looks narrower.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may be out of date but finding someone local who can do EDM removal sounds unlikely. Here are some alternatives:
The first is scarey for an aluminum block & heads but the second, slightly redneck approach, seems to work fine.

Unfortunately it may be too late for the OP if he's been drilling holes into the broken bolt.

P.S. I find the width of the pushrod seal listed as 10 mm. The OP's looks narrower.
Well, the seal looks identical to the old one, and the fsm shows a gap so I just put the cases back together. As for the bolt, it's out of my hands now as I dropped it off at my local automotive machinist; hopefully he'll have it out by tomorrow. He mentioned that he might have to cut part of the tab off and weld it back on... Might not be pretty but hey, whatever works... Thanks for all of your replies anyhow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts