Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 GSXR 1000 that just hit about 6,500 miles. I am the second owner and have only put about 1,500 miles on it. I changed the oil with Mobile 1 4T 10-40 oil when I first got it. I never had any problems with the clutch slipping unit about a week ago I was rolling on it in second when I hit third hard it went from 6k to 10k instantly. I adjust the cable and it feels like the engagement point on the clutch is really far out. Anyway, my question is had anyone had any problems with their clutch slipping with this oil? I think it might be time for a new clutch though because I changed the oil with the same kind just fresh and it’s getting even worse. I can’t even roll into it without it slipping! It just seems crazy that I would need a new clutch @ 6,500 miles when I don’t even beat on it?

·
Registered
914 Posts
you never know your back tire could have broken loose. mine broke loose once really good and i though that mine was starting to slip, so i turned around to look where i really cracked on the throttle and sure enough there was a black mark on the road.

·
Registered
347 Posts
mine started to slip around 4500 miles on my k7 600. Come to find out when i changed the clutch there was and extra thrust bearing that shouldnt have been there, cause the clutch to slip prematurely. I put new fibers in anyway since i already had them and the bike was appart

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine started to slip around 4500 miles on my k7 600. Come to find out when i changed the clutch there was and extra thrust bearing that shouldnt have been there, cause the clutch to slip prematurely. I put new fibers in anyway since i already had them and the bike was appart
Hello, mine is doing the same thing. its a 2007 600 with 4000 miles on it. i just installed a new clutch and its still slipping. guess i need to check this. where do i get a manual for this bike? thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I adjusted the clutch freeplay at the lever and still got clutch slip so I pulled the clutch cover off to take a look at the springs, fibers and metal. The springs are all within spec's, the fibers look good with no burn or wear marks and none of the metal plates are warped. WTF, so I slightly sanded all the metal plates to rough them up a little and pulled the clutch release mech of the sprocket side. On the sprocket side there was alot of dirt that was maybe making the shaft that pushs through to the clutch get hung up. I cleaned the area and checked adjustment and everything is working right. I guess I'll just put everything together and see if anything helped. I don't think it can be the oil either because I was fine for 1,500 then all of sudden one day it slips like crazy! I don't know I was kinda hoping to see burnt fiber when I pulled the clutch apart that way I could put a new clutch in and call it a day instead of hunting for the problem!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have to see if your oil is Fully Synthetic as this often makes Suzuki clutch,s slip, have to read owners manuel for oil SAE specifications, also check clutch free play Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 are recommended for 4-cycle, motorcycles which specify the use of a 10W-40 or a 20W-50 engine oil, respectively. These products will provide excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 engine oils are also designed to provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 exceed the requirements of API Service Categories SJ, SH, SG/CF, CD and JASO MA . They have been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved! It wasn’t the oil causing the clutch to slip. The clutch release mech adjustment under the rubber plug on the sprocket cover was causing the problem. Check this if you guys are getting clutch slip with low miles! I had pulled the clutch and all the friction discs and metal looked fine so I tried adjusting the clutch cable on the top of the sprocket cover and at the lever with no luck! There is a third adjustment for the clutch under the rubber plug on the side of the sprocket cover, it’s for the clutch release mech. I screwed both the clutch adjustments on the lever and on the side of the sprocket cover all the way in then I pulled the rubber plug on the side of the sprocket cover and I loosed the lock nut and turned the screw until I felt resistance then back a ¼ turn. I used the adjustment on the top of the sprocket to fine tune the freeplay in the lever. No more clutch slip!

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Some people swear by synthetic oil. I used it once and got clutch slip and never used it again and never got clutch slip again.:thumbup:
I've been using fully synthetic in all of my bikes since the 05, making the switch at the 600 mile service on the 06 and the R6. I have never had a problem with clutch slip due to motorcycle synthetc oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.