Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gsxr 1000 about 30,000 miles. When I give it full throttle it doesn’t quite seem to be giving me the full pull when I get to the higher rpm’s in every gear. the bike doesn’t bog, cut out, or anything. It shifts good, it doesn’t seem like the clutch is slipping but idk what else it could be. Any ideas on what else it could be other than clutch problems?

·
Administrator
11,217 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

With those miles it could definitely be the clutch if it had not been changed recently.

The clue to a slipping clutch is that the tach will rise much quicker than the speed on acceleration and when you ease off the throttle the tach will drop down but the speed hardly change. This is most apparent in higher gears.

You can also do a static check by putting the bike in a higher gear, such as 5th, front and back brake on firmly, and revving the engine while easing out the clutch till the engine stalls. If the engine does not stall, the clutch is slipping. Obviously, don't do this too long as things will get hot inside.

Have you done a clutch adjustment as per the service manual? This frequently cures the issue.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not. I just got the bike 2,000 ish miles ago and had not touched it’s mechanics.
I feel as if the clutch would slip it would happen at low Rpm’s when the torque is the highest, not at high rpm’s, but again I don’t know very much about motorcycles.

·
Administrator
11,217 Posts
I have not. I just got the bike 2,000 ish miles ago and had not touched it’s mechanics.
I feel as if the clutch would slip it would happen at low Rpm’s when the torque is the highest, not at high rpm’s, but again I don’t know very much about motorcycles.
These bikes really don't start really putting out power till 7k rpm plus.

Check the clutch adjustment first. The first clue is that there is no free play in the clutch lever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts