Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, need some help please. i need to bypass the clutch switch on start up. i have read that, pulling in the clutch when you press the statr button send a different map to the ECU saying that the bike is starting. is it easier just to put a push button switch on the bars to replicate the clutch swich, (ddint really want that) or is there another way,

thanks in advance :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Do some more searching, there is a way that uses a relay.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
why would you want to? It's a safety feature and is there for a reason
Not all manufactures have this feature.....

Some people do it for sport clutch levers as it doesn't accommodate the switch.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im not using the suzuki levers and perch, so cant really.
BUT, just had a brainwave.... (i think)
could i use a relay, and a jump wire from the rear brake light, so in theory when starting you just depress the rear brake.

would it work?:redface:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I set this up on my bike before, took some searching. I pulled the relay out because I was throwing a code due to my secondaries being out of my ITBs. I was thinking along time ago just to run wires to the starter button too alleviate the whole issue.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Individual throttle bodies

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I believe that all the ones that don't have a clutch switch won't start in anything but neutral either.
Any bike that has a kick stand switch that's engaged will only start in neutral, but I am pretty sure I have seen plenty of bike start in first gear(with kick stand up).

I think Suzuki is the only one I know that has this stupid clutch switch from the bikes I've been around.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Any bike that has a kick stand switch that's engaged will only start in neutral, but I am pretty sure I have seen plenty of bike start in first gear(with kick stand up).

I think Suzuki is the only one I know that has this stupid clutch switch from the bikes I've been around.
Then they've all been modified. It's been a DOT safety requirement for quite a while now.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Then they've all been modified. It's been a DOT safety requirement for quite a while now.
Pretty sure the kick stand switch is DOT safety required....o'well I can careless, safety is over rated, if people can't figure out simply things on what to do or not to do well then :2up2:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't know about safety being overrated. I've seen people get very severely injured while catching a race bike falling at walking speed because the clutch safety switch was disabled. A moment of simple clumsiness and a dropped bike most times, or a broken leg gored by a solid mount foot peg another time.

A carefree attitude about an extremely dangerous sport is a really bad idea.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I don't know about safety being overrated. I've seen people get very severely injured while catching a race bike falling at walking speed because the clutch safety switch was disabled. A moment of simple clumsiness and a dropped bike most times, or a broken leg gored by a solid mount foot peg another time.

A carefree attitude about an extremely dangerous sport is a really bad idea.
:0001136745-huh:

Carefree, I am not

·
Registered
270 Posts
thanks for that, i had already seen it, and didnt get what he was trying to say about how to wire the relay,:0001136745-facepalm, hence my post
I'm still not quite seeing where to put the relay.

What I want to do is put in this relay and then add a second relay so that the bike must be in neutral to start. Once I figure out how the first relay is wired, it will be cake to wire the second.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well, basically, from looking at my ECU wiring diagram, I should use the wires on either side of the starter switch and connect those in parallel to the coil of my relay, and then connect in parallel the wires from either side of the clutch switch to the switched side of the relay?

Then, for the neutral safety feature, I can run a relay in the positive side of the wire coming from the starter switch to the original relay, which is activated when the neutral light is lit.

I believe that would work to either start the bike in neutral without the clutch depressed, or I should still be able to start the bike in gear with the clutch depressed. Right?

Lol, jk. I think I need to connect the wire post starter switch to the relay that is enabled by the neutral light. That output then goes to activate the second relay which acts as the clutch switch. I believe wiring this way I can start in neutral with just the button, or in any gear with the clutch depressed. Attached wiring diagram.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts