Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Rhe year was 2000 was on my way back from Florida to traverse city mi stopped in Cleveland ohio for the night woke up next morning and it was 21 degrees. Rode the rest of the way home got into traverse and it was 18 degrees . Rhat was the year march started off with 80 degree days so i took vacation time it was 75 degrees all the way to Sarasota

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgive me for a long read, but there is no short way to describe how utterly cold it was on this day in my past. I wrote this to entertain y'all with a recollection of mine that rebounded in my mind the instant I saw this thread. Let it be known, this is a true story:
One year, a long time ago, I promised myself I would go 365 days without setting foot in a car, truck, van, bus, nor anything else that had more than two wheels on it. I bought myself an enduro class motorcycle to help me navigate the mountainous streets of New England come winter.
Well, there was 18 miles between home and work, and precisely ONE bridge spanning the river directly between home and work.
On one particularly cold morning that haunts my memories, I left for work as normal, with plenty of time for slight delays or whatnot, cuz I simply refuse to be late. It was frigidly cold this morning...in fact, it was ridiculously colder than it had ever been, anywhere in the northern hemisphere. This would be a day for the record books.
This morning was a freezing cold ride that really tried my resolve, but a promise was made I intended to keep it. Alas, when I got to the bridge, I was taken completely aback as the local authorities had closed it down and locked it up tight as a drum.
So much snow and ice collected on it and they wouldn't risk a pedestrian, let alone a car or truck. YUP, they even blocked the pedestrian walkway, which was the path I'd intended to take IF the driving portion of the bridge was closed, as I feared it could be, I was prepared to use the pedestrians' walkway....which in 20 years, I'd never ever seen closed.

At this point, I'm only 8 miles away from work. There are two other bridges I could detour to, the closer of the two is 26 miles away, and probably 45 minutes just to get to it, and perhaps another 45 minutes to get back on track to work!

Did I mention it was a ridiculously cold morning? How cold, you ask? Well, I honestly don't know. But the way my breath came out of my body and dropped like a shovelful of ice-fog, I thought to myself, "I bet the river is frozen solid."
It was at this point that I began to weigh my options. I could ride to the next bridge, risking hypothermia, frostbite, slippery riding conditions, or worst of all, arriving late to work NOT having considered an extra 1.5 hours of detouring...or I could try my luck with the river, SURELY it's frozen hard enough to carry a motorcycle and its rider from one bank to another? What's the worst that could happen? Breaking through and succumbing to freezing cold water? Meh, being late to work would be worse!

So, I rode the bike down to the boat ramp which was almost literally beneath the bridge. I got off the bike, stepped out onto the ice. Seemed solid. Walked out perhaps another 20 feet, jumped up and down as if intent on driving my feet right through the ice. To my relief, the river felt quite solid, at least these first 20 or 30 feet do, there's no doubt in my mind, I'm riding across the river...I do hope the 280ish feet that I didn't test would hold up as well the first 20 feet are.

I walked back to the XT350, mounted it, turned the key back on, kicked it over, dropped it in gear, and didn't bother going slow enough to find out it wasn't working. BALLS TO THE WALLS, I raced that bike across the river as fast as I could go while keeping it straight.

Long story short: I got to work on time. And my gawd was I pissed when I got there. It would seem, I was the only person to show up on time...even the bastards that lived on-site didn't make it to work on time, and they only had to walk from one building to another!!!
That’s hardcore, im a little crazy like that too. It doesnt nearly as cold in LA, but i ride everyday rain or shine. Heres a tip for those who can relate to those cold mornings. Gear up early as possible. I gear up before i bush my teeth or eat breakfast. U trap ur body heat early and as u go thru ur morning routine, ur almost burning hot. By the time its time to go, u cant wait for the cold outside air to hit u. Ride safe out there yall. U dont hav to be crazy to ride a bike, but it helps!

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,764 Posts
I've raced multiple times with heavy frost on the ground with CCS/ASRA at Roebling and CMP. Cold enough where my bike wouldnt crank without sitting under a blanket with 2 heaters aimed at the block for over an hour. You're not gonna see any lap records broken or hit your personal best but It's not bad.

For street riding I've done teens to low 20's but that ride sucks. I dont have to commute on a bike so I stick to better days like a sunny 40 and above.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

21 - 23 of 23 Posts