Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a 1988 GSX 600 (katana)
Its got 20k miles on it.

Problem is....

1.) It's been sitting for 5 years....it doesn't actually look too horrible though, since it was covered.

2.) It's got water in the oil....i went to check the oil and theres a little window near the bottom and i can clearly seen alot of water in the oil.....how bad can this get? Can this simply just be flushed out if it's not rusted in there?

3.) The left fork appears mis-aligned or bent, so basically the handlebars are straight, but the wheel is cocked alittle towards "11 o clock"

4.) Did a carfax, bike was a SALVAGE....apparently the dude hit a curb and bumped into a guard rail.

5.) Bike has NO KEY....Gauge Clusters are all cracked......

My main question is, has ANYBODY here ever rebuilt a salvaged bike before?

The bike is registered and listed as a salvage, but there IS NOT a title.......do i have to GET the salvage title IN HAND first?

Or can i just rebuild the bike and THEN go get it inspected and the inspection station issues a request for a Clean title?

Anybody done this before?

I know that was long....sorry.

I can get pictures if anyone wants......

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
>1.) It's been sitting for 5 years....it doesn't actually look too horrible though, since it was covered.

Okay.

>2.) It's got water in the oil....i went to check the oil and theres a little window near the bottom and i can clearly seen alot of water in the oil.....how bad can this get? Can this simply just be flushed out if it's not rusted in there?

Do you mean a small amount of condensate, or a lot of actual visible water, like rain got in it? If it's been sitting for five years with water in the crankcase, that engine is toast.

>3.) The left fork appears mis-aligned or bent, so basically the handlebars are straight, but the wheel is cocked alittle towards "11 o clock"

Obviously, it needs a new front suspension too.

>The bike is registered and listed as a salvage, but there IS NOT a title.......do i have to GET the salvage title IN HAND first?

Yes, you need a title. It will say "Salvage" on it. You can't register it without a title. Or, as said below.

>Or can i just rebuild the bike and THEN go get it inspected and the inspection station issues a request for a Clean title?

No, once a vehicle has been given salvage status, it will remain salvage for life. You CAN get another title and register it if you have a signed bill of sale, and the current owner lost the title but the process varies by state. Call your DMV for the procedure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
>1.) It's been sitting for 5 years....it doesn't actually look too horrible though, since it was covered.

Okay.

>2.) It's got water in the oil....i went to check the oil and theres a little window near the bottom and i can clearly seen alot of water in the oil.....how bad can this get? Can this simply just be flushed out if it's not rusted in there?

Do you mean a small amount of condensate, or a lot of actual visible water, like rain got in it? If it's been sitting for five years with water in the crankcase, that engine is toast.

>3.) The left fork appears mis-aligned or bent, so basically the handlebars are straight, but the wheel is cocked alittle towards "11 o clock"

Obviously, it needs a new front suspension too.

>The bike is registered and listed as a salvage, but there IS NOT a title.......do i have to GET the salvage title IN HAND first?

Yes, you need a title. It will say "Salvage" on it. You can't register it without a title. Or, as said below.

>Or can i just rebuild the bike and THEN go get it inspected and the inspection station issues a request for a Clean title?

No, once a vehicle has been given salvage status, it will remain salvage for life. You CAN get another title and register it if you have a signed bill of sale, and the current owner lost the title but the process varies by state. Call your DMV for the procedure.

Thanks for clearing that up alittle more.

I want to say that the water in there is condensation.....but it looks like a decent amount.....the oil window looks more clear than dark.....so it really doesn't look like theres much oil in there at all....(however bike isnt leaking oil either.....)

I figuared i would have to rebuild the engine because of all that water.

Im going to DMV monday to find out exactly what i have to do to get a title IN my hands....
(since i live in jersey, it's probably a HUGE pain in the ass.....)

I really like this bike though,haha, i figuared it would make a nice project.
(dont really have the cash to blow on a new bike, so i can rebuild and piece her back together over a period of time.)

ALSO, ive heard you can hire a private company to GET a title for you, is this true?
(i found a few websites that offer this service especially for abandoned or salvaged bikes....legit?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up alittle more.

I want to say that the water in there is condensation.....but it looks like a decent amount.....the oil window looks more clear than dark.....so it really doesn't look like theres much oil in there at all....(however bike isnt leaking oil either.....)

I figuared i would have to rebuild the engine because of all that water.

Im going to DMV monday to find out exactly what i have to do to get a title IN my hands....
(since i live in jersey, it's probably a HUGE pain in the ass.....)

I really like this bike though,haha, i figuared it would make a nice project.
(dont really have the cash to blow on a new bike, so i can rebuild and piece her back together over a period of time.)

ALSO, ive heard you can hire a private company to GET a title for you, is this true?
(i found a few websites that offer this service especially for abandoned or salvaged bikes....legit?)
titles are issued by your states Division of Motor Vehicles, any site that says they can get you a new title and isn't your DMV is lying, but you can get new tags and such from independent companies that basically charge you more and forward the information you gave them to the DMV. Just do everything through the DMV where everything has a form and everything cost $

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.