Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my bike with green coolant in it..

anyways I always like to do a maintenance overhaul on things I purchase, so I changed the oil and flushed the radiator and put new coolant in etc...

I put engine ice in it, hearing people having their bike run 10 to 20 degrees cooler.

My 06 GSXR was hitting 225 - 226 degrees at lights sometimes so I thought it'd be nice to get it away from that top "Safe" degree of 225. I put in engine ice and now I hit 226 last night at midnight, NO SUN IN THE SKY!!!

Today I stopped on the way to the beach and look down and it was 227 rising all the way to 231.

What the hell? I heard people on this forum posting great results with engine ice. Is it possible I did something wrong?

Should I pour some coolant in the overflow bottle? (Was some in before, flushed it out, none in it now)

I'm guessing its just shitty coolant but wanting some ideas

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
You should have coolant/ and or fluid in the overflow to the min line. If I understand you right you don’t have any fluid in the overflow? i have not used anything other than coolant so i really can’t say. when i changed my coolant the overflow bottle looked dark green but i was told that is normal as the coolant electrodes or something break down...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I should have some in the overflow?

I didn't know that. That must be the problem. I thought the overflow only filled when the radiator's fluid expanded and needed someplace to go

My radiator is like 90% full of Engine Ice, can I put distilled water in the overflow and last 20% of the radiator? As the engine ice is "premixed" it should work fine right? I don't want to pay $20 for another bottle of engine ice to use only a tiny bit of it.

·
Registered
914 Posts

I didn't know that. That must be the problem. I thought the overflow only filled when the radiator's fluid expanded and needed someplace to go

My radiator is like 90% full of Engine Ice, can I put distilled water in the overflow and last 20% of the radiator? As the engine ice is "premixed" it should work fine right? I don't want to pay $20 for another bottle of engine ice to use only a tiny bit of it.
its just like in a car. if your radiator is low the over flow will if it up some, so you need to top off your radiator and you need to fill your over flow to the full line "cold" line that is. because when your bike heats up it will then read at the full "hot" line

·
Registered
5,991 Posts

Yea bro, it needs to be in there as well that way when it gets hot it will pull back n fourth from the overflow to the radiator. I keep mine at the min line and on a hot day it will rise just above the max line and after it cools it drops back down to the min line… that is why ur shyt is running hot. it thinks you only have around ¾ of the radiator full. you did get the carbon fiber fluid right? lol sorry had to..j/j my bad

·
rotaredom
9,582 Posts
You did a flush job and didn't know there should be fluid in the overflow? How do you check your coolant level to know if you should add any?
i make sure there is fluid in the overflow, but to check the actual level i pull the radiator cap...i wouldnt just go by the level in the overflow reservior....imo

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea bro, it needs to be in there as well that way when it gets hot it will pull back n fourth from the overflow to the radiator. I keep mine at the min line and on a hot day it will rise just above the max line and after it cools it drops back down to the min line… that is why ur shyt is running hot. it thinks you only have around ¾ of the radiator full. you did get the carbon fiber fluid right? lol sorry had to..j/j my bad
Yes of course I got carbon fiber fluid, my bike eats , wears, and shits in carbon fiber.

Anyways thanks ill go fill the overflow and see if that was why it was overheating. I'm hoping it just had a little less fluid and is why it was overheating... this way engine ice wasnt a waste of time and money.

I wish I didn't have to take the side fairing off to put some more coolant in, my sides are so fucking tricky (mount spots are not stock)

·
Registered
894 Posts
I had a very annoying air pocket that just wouldnt go away on my STS no matter how much it burped. I had to force water with a hose backwards through the system via the bleeder valve. You could see the air pockets escaping out the filler neck. (along with some coolant of course, so if you wanna save it have a bucket handy)

·
Registered
376 Posts
k7 or newer 1000 has a bleed screw on the t stat housing, i would say for sure there is air in the system.get a spill free funnel if you want it makes purging a lot cleaner and easier.

·
MPG mod
7,420 Posts
Heres a little trick I use. It will work on cars as well. Top off the radiator cold. Cap it and fill the overflow to min line. Get the machine nice and hot ( I prefer til the fans pop on if possible). Shut the machine down and wait don't touch anything, just wait, as the motor cools it will burp the air out into the overflow and as pushes in it will suck the coolant out the bottle into the motor replacing the air. Do this a couple of times til all it gone. I prefer to over fill the bottle to try and get it in one shot if you do this only go about halfway otherwise you'll have coolant everywhere and that stuff sucks to clean up.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks alot guys

i just checked it and the radiator had a shitload of room left, it must of had air in it.

I refilled it and filled the overflow container half way as well.

I will ride it now and if it gets hot again ill take the fairing off and check it AGAIN, hopefully its good now but if it heats up again im guessing more air came to the top

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.