Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my story. Once upon a time, on the first nice day after winter, I decided to take the bike out. I had just bought it last september right before winter, it was my first bike. Got some good riding in before the weather hit so I was happy. Opted not to do full coverage because winter was so close. :headshake Anyway, I should have known it wasn't the best day for it. It looked great out but there was still ice patches in the shade. Get the bike out, get geared up and start to take off. Get to the top of the hill with a slight bend to the left and the rear of the bike starts sliding out. :hmmm: Well, I try to lay her down but at that time i'm on the crest of the down slope. So then it decides to grab and catapult me off. (High side) So I'm flying through the air thinking that I'll eventually stop, which I did. :bowdown: Luckily, I was wearing my coat, gloves, and helmet (of course). Every piece of clothing on my was destroyed except for boxers and socks. Shoe blew apart and jeans were all ripped up. Landed on my shoulder, go figure, and the road went through the coat, the liner, and my shirt and undershirt. Barely scrapping the skin. Gloves were destroyed, joe rocket carbon fiber helmet was destroyed by scraping. But luckily, I came out ok. Had a little road rash on one knee and sore as hell on the entire right side and wrist was a little sprained.

The bike had frame sliders, which saved most of it. The down hill part and of course high siding got it though. Right side fairings are done. Gas tank was destroyed. Rearset broke. Right clip-on broke. The top triple tree clamp broke above the key. Right turn signal gone. Snapped the servo right off the seat frame. And get this, the back passenger peg didn't even break, it bent. And took out the rear subframe with it. Broke where it was mounted. Found that pretty crazy.

That's my story though. :cool:

I don't have many pictures but I'll post what I have when I get them and figure out how to post them.

I'm currently fixing her. I can post some pictures of that too. I guess I wanted to do some mods so now I get time to do them.

:arsenal

"Everyting happens for a reason", I guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A prime example of why a new rider has no business on a GSX-R. Glad to hear you weren't hurt any worse.
What do you recommend, then? I'm signed up to take my basic riders course this weekend and was planning on a GSXR-600. Have a few friends that ride and they recommended a 600 as a starter bike since anything smaller I'd likely grow out of too soon.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Have a few friends that ride and they recommended a 600 as a starter bike since anything smaller I'd likely grow out of too soon.

Thoughts?
They don't know what they're talking about. Check out the stickies in the New Riders section. I put 20,000 miles on a Maxim 650 that produced 30 less horsepower than a GSXR 600 and weighed 100lbs more. I never once felt like it was underpowered.

Check out Suzuki GS500, SV650, Kawi Ninja 500 and 650, Yamaha Seca II, yzf600r thundercat, etc. They all offer plenty of power for street and highway riding, are much more forgiving to abrubt throttle/brake inputs, and are much more confidence inspiring than a twitchy 600 supersport. They're also more comfortable, cheaper to insure, and get better gas mileage.

Check the two posts below regarding a former member of this site. He rode a 1000, but if you think you can't get in just as much trouble on a 600 then you're delusional.

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=61915

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=62210&highlight=Malic

Check the dates on the two posts. Notice his comments that he was taking it easy.

I don't mean to preach it's just that we've had 3 fatalities in the past month here. All 3 were new riders on sportbikes. It's the same scenario year after year. Now even Suzuki's radio ads say "Suzuki engineers the GSXR for experienced riders."

Sorry for the thread hijack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They don't know what they're talking about. Check out the stickies in the New Riders section. I put 20,000 miles on a Maxim 650 that produced 30 less horsepower than a GSXR 600 and weighed 100lbs more. I never once felt like it was underpowered.

Check out Suzuki GS500, SV650, Kawi Ninja 500 and 650, Yamaha Seca II, yzf600r thundercat, etc. They all offer plenty of power for street and highway riding, are much more forgiving to abrubt throttle/brake inputs, and are much more confidence inspiring than a twitchy 600 supersport. They're also more comfortable, cheaper to insure, and get better gas mileage.

Check the two posts below regarding a former member of this site. He rode a 1000, but if you think you can't get in just as much trouble on a 600 then you're delusional.

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=61915

http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=62210&highlight=Malic

Check the dates on the two posts. Notice his comments that he was taking it easy.

I don't mean to preach it's just that we've had 3 fatalities in the past month here. All 3 were new riders on sportbikes. It's the same scenario year after year. Now even Suzuki's radio ads say "Suzuki engineers the GSXR for experienced riders."

Sorry for the thread hijack.
that's nuts man! dude posted that he got a gsxr1000 and a few days later he turns up dead.

i'm 30 years old, never rode before except RARELY on a few friends bikes / dirtbikes but never for extended periods.

in the article that the woman posted it mentions that he was excessively speeding?

i drive my car pretty conservatively especially for what it is (g37s) and i think that it'd carry over to anything i did on a bike. i'm not exactly 19? not to say that he was doing anything incredibly wrong or anything..

wouldn't a lighter 600 be better than a heavier 650? admittedly i'm a complete novice so i apologize if i'm second guessing anything you've said. also curious as to why a kawasaki 600 would be better for a novice than a suzuki gsxr 600?

·
Registered
207 Posts
don't make the mistake of assuming that displacement is always relative to power output and required skill level. The gsx-r 600 is a supersport bike that makes 100+hp and weighs about 425lbs fueled. The Ninja 650r is a street oriented sport bike that makes 65hp and weighs about 525lbs fueled. The SV650 is comparable to the 650R, except it makes just over 70hp.

I don't live in Oklahoma so I didn't see the newscasts and can't comment on his speed. The print article which cites a police officer made no mention of excessive speed. I know he posted here that he (like you and everyone else who plans on a GSX-R for a first bike) planned on taking it easy. Maybe he was speeding, maybe he wasn't. I'd be willing to bet that even if speeding the accident was still avoidable. Most of the the time in the situation of a car turning in front of a motorcyclist, the new rider target fixates and heads straight toward the danger. They also usually yank on the front brake, which all but eliminates the ability to steer around the danger. Those new rider reactions are the same at 55 as they are at 155.

Roadracer types ignore the following- I'm assuming we're talking about a new rider on the street.

Weight isn't a stability factor except at parking lot speeds. When rolling down the road, the gyroscopic motion of the wheels will keep you stable no matter what the bike weighs. Weight only affects acceleration and steering responsiveness. A new rider will benefit from a heavier bike with less horsepower because it is more forgiving to abrupt throttle changes and jerky steering inputs that an inexperienced rider will generate.

You sound like a fairly level headed person, and taking the MSF course is a step in the right direction. You'll become a good rider much faster (and likely a better rider overall) if you start on a bike that's suited for a new rider.

I don't want to hijack this guy's thread any longer, so if you want to continue this discussion then PM me or start a new thread and I'll be glad to keep talking with you.

Either way, good luck.
:cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.