Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MPG mod
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this is an all inclusive review since it was all new to me at the same time. (Honestly I am too lazy to do separate reviews).

The Chain:

I did a lot of research as to what people like and don't like, this one received a lot of yeahs. Not much to it really, its a chain. It has links, is gold and is endless after you put it together.

Really, the 520 is a nice conversion, alot less engine braking which I like, makes me feel a bit more in control of what happens when I roll off. They leave more than enough length to fit a standard length swingarm and seemed to be lubed enough to keep from rusting in the box. The master link kit comes with everything you need. Although I didn't realize it was a riveted link when I started the job. More on that later. I've got a few hundreds miles on it and it hasn't stretched yet, which I am hoping is a good adjustment on my part.

Driven Sprockets:

I didn't really see any reviews on the Driven sprockets. I took the dive even though I wasn't impressed with there grips. I chose stock tooth counts on both for two reasons. 1) I liked the bike right where it was gearing wise and 2) I was too cheap to buy a speedohealer right now. The front sprocket is hardened steel and black in color. If I am to understand correctly this helps harden the steel it could all be bullhonkey but whatever. With exception to the width (520 conversion and all) it looks very similar to the stock gear. Only thing that they didn't do was mark which way was out. While it does matter anyone with half a brain could figure it out, but it would have been nice for the extra assurance. The rear is a hardened anodized aluminum sprocket in black as well. It fit the cush drive just as well as the stocker but looks the cats ass. The have the little crown etched in which is a nice added detail. The sprocket seems to be holding up very well to mild abuse. Time will tell though. I was impressed with how much it cleaned up the look of the bike overall. Pics to follow, be patient.

Trackside chain tool

It was 11:00p.m. by time I had realized that it was a riveted master link (explains the high tensile strength). So after a lot of cursing I went to bed and awoke vigilant in my quest to get my bike back on the road. I made a phone call ( I won't say where I don't want to promote these guys but I was desperate, you understand, right?) and found this bad boy for $80. I procure one and head home as the clouds start to part, literally. I open the box and find alot of little parts, you know the type that you aren't supposed to swallow as a child. I come to realize that for my money I got a breaker/press/riveter all in a nice neat little case. Score. The directions are for the most part worthless. I toss them over my shoulder thusly and proceed with the cursing. After trashing an X-ring on my first pressing attempt I start to realize that the markings in the case are quite helpful in identifying the parts. Cool. I install a new X ring and press the second time flawlessly. I then figure out the riveter tool...eventually and then discover after the fact that the riveter has its own little anvil for the backside of the link pin. In order to double check my rivet was sufficient I remove it form the arbor and make sure it sank all the way into the pin. It did. All in all this toll will pay for itself in the long run. With 6 bikes between me and my friends it will get used. It has all that you need to do the job right although I would recommend practicing on something other than your real chain first.

www.Motomummy.com

This is only the second time I have ordered from them won;t be my last though. The site is well designed for easy purchasing of chain and sprockets. All except for the tooth count on the sprockets is done through drop down menus and any additional cost that may incur due to a higher quality chain or special options are listed with the item description, taking the hassle out of checking out first. I got my stuff Priority Mail in 3 days (ordered late Tuesday night on my step Friday afternoon.) There were discounts all over the place, not sure why any of them applied but who am I to argue? He may not be the cheapest but I had constant updates in my inbox as to the status of my order as soon as something became available. I can;t recommend these guys enough.

OK HERE:

·
MPG mod
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice write up, where did you get your rear tire hugger from???
I bought it on eBay, but its a Puig, shouldnt be too hard to find elsewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.