Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy knows a lot about suspension, this is a good video for everybody as he points out really obvious shit that I typically overlook and see many others overlooking as well.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,540 Posts
Damn that is good. I have to look into this. The front forks of my bike are REALLY soft. The front end dips when I just push it in and out of the garage. Subd him.

Reactions: WhiteDeath

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I'm sure he forgot more than I ever knew, but I've read some posts on Wera/13x forums that said less than stellar things about him, his videos. etc. IIRC it was the one about cornering when he says Brake, gas, turn.
Also actual racers that stated that they, nor their suspension coaches ever set the sag. Seems like a good idea to me though. FWIW- setting sag makes sense to me. But I know little.
I too have picked up many good things watching his videos.

Reactions: WhiteDeath

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tuned in about twice as much preload into my forks and it work out pretty nice. My shit would bottom out when I got on the front brakes real hard. With it staying more level the back brakes are more helpful in stopping. I also moved my levers down to their physical limit so I don't apply the gas anymore when searching for a lever.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I know Dave personally, met him about 9 years ago. In that time, I've received advice, ridden with and raced against him. He is very knowledgeable, genuine guy. However, he does get a bit over the top sometimes. I don't feel a need to take a tooth brush to my brake caliper pistons after every race, but Dave does. The guy won't lead you wrong and your bike will be better off following his instructions. But how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

Furthermore, suspension tuning is an art as much as a science. Different people want to feel different things and some tuners work better with some riders than others. So it's no surprise there are people who don't like his advice.

Tuning is also a long term strategy. Once you start working with a specific tuner, you need to keep working with the same one. An experienced guy, like Dave, has a plan and a method. He'll start very basic and work into the finer details slowly. Dave often works with less experienced guys where sag is a good start point. While an experienced racer may have prior knowledge allowing them to skip the sag step.

In summary, Dave is an excellent resource and I strongly recommend most of his advice. He's just a little too pedantic for me and many others which opens him up for criticism.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,540 Posts
You make a good point Koth. Your comment that tuning is an art as much as a science interested me. I had thought it was analogous to a philosophy combined with the science to accomplish what the philosophy teaches. Either way he is insanely knowledgeable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
However, he does get a bit over the top sometimes. I don't feel a need to take a tooth brush to my brake caliper pistons after every race, but Dave does. The guy won't lead you wrong and your bike will be better off following his instructions. But how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
HAHA funny you mention that. I just recently started watching some of his videos with him restoring a 2005 750 that his buddy picked up (I have 2 of them) during the one video he is evaluating if it's even worth fixing, and pulls off the right crank cover to manually roll the engine over and feel for compression, then he goes into some other things like looking at this and that, removing the air box (I did that at least, and had to remove the fuel tank and fuel on mine, it was horrible and the pump was dead) but anyway he's going on and on about checking it out..

Man, most of us would just toss a battery in and hit the key to see what happens before any of that! HAHA I would rather someone tell me more than I need to know, that not enough.... I like him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts