Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
acquired a 2008 gsxr 600 with less than 7000 miles all checked/replaces/brakes/oil/fluids ect...//put approximately 700 miles since. ///Nice Sunday ride // everything seemed great. THEN display started blinking like Christmas/ then the bike died... Battery looked like it was going to explode/swelled...Buddy took me to the store and purchased a new battery NG... Got it home //fuses are good/lights are on/can hear the fuel pump/interments power up/starter spins motor over... Got FI light code c42 and a (C93) ???!! cant find that one !!

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your first issue is that the bike is over charging, that is why the battery cooked. It is likely the PO installed a cheap, crap, Chinese R/R stator kit. Fix this soon as you will fry the ECM if you don't.

The C42 is strange that it popped up out of the blue but this is why the bike will crank but not run. I would not guess that the over voltage would have damaged the ignition switch but I guess it could happen. The other choice is that the ECM is damaged.

The C93 is a shimmy damper code and is usually caused by low voltage. You an ignore that for the time being as it will not affect the bike running.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Your first issue is that the bike is over charging, that is why the battery cooked. It is likely the PO installed a cheap, crap, Chinese R/R stator kit. Fix this soon as you will fry the ECM if you don't.

The C42 is strange that it popped up out of the blue but this is why the bike will crank but not run. I would not guess that the over voltage would have damaged the ignition switch but I guess it could happen. The other choice is that the ECM is damaged.

The C93 is a shimmy damper code and is usually caused by low voltage. You an ignore that for the time being as it will not affect the bike running.
thank you for pointing me in the right direction

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
thank you for pointing me in the right direction
The ECM failing with only the C42 is rare, (I've not seen one in 10 years here) but could happen according to the service manual. There is a resistor built into the ignition switch that possibly could be damaged but I have not seen that happen either. There is a wire between the ECM and the switch that could be damaged or the connector is bad, but that would be coincidental to your other issues.

The easiest thing would be to swap the ECM into a known good bike and see if it works OK.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
wouldn't an overcharging situation blow fuses before wiping out the ecu ?
You are not the first one to have an over charging R/R. There were a whole rash of them 3-4 years ago when they were selling the $39.95 "kit" on Ebay with and R/R, stator and gasket. The Chinese R/Rs seemed to be the only ones that failed this way. Others just stop charging or go out in a puff of smoke, short out and blow the main fuse.

The first symptom is usually the headlight or other bulbs keep failing. When the battery gets low on fluid due to overcharge, the next symptom is the smell of rotten eggs. Last as the battery boils out, the voltage spikes and takes out the electronics. (the battery will act as a voltage "shock absorber" as long as it can)

The classic ECM failure is that the fuel pump will not prime or run as well as the display showing "CHEC" which means the ECM is not talking to the cluster.

Since you are able to display fault codes, that means the ECM is working and sending data so that is a good sign. Unfortunately, having that code, along with the overvolt history makes it hard to pinpoint which is bad.

That is why I suggested you find a local rider with an 08 or 09 600 or 750 that will let you plug your ECM into and see if it runs fine. I've never done it, but I wonder if an ECM flash service could also check for proper operation?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum.

does the c93 code reset or does it need to be erased ?? and if it needs to be erased/how ??

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
does the c93 code reset or does it need to be erased ?? and if it needs to be erased/how ??
No need to reset, you will not see it again unless it reoccurs.

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
A new OEM switch? If so I would break out the wiring diagram and make sure the "signal" wire between the switch and the ECM, and the connectors, are good. I think the ECM needs to see about 8 volts from the switch as I recall.

Last would be a bad ECM, but that would be an unusual failure. Any chance there is someone with an 08/09 600 or 750 near you that would let you swap in your ECM to check?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts