Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k i got some friends that only like to argue with me about buyin a bike cuz its such a waste of money :thefinger

ive enjoyed bikes since i was 13 when i had some on/off road 1986 honda thing, which really got me into wanting a bike for the road cuz its so much fun that i would want a bike over a car/truck anyday.

im buyin a new gixxer 600 this spring and was thinkin how much do these things depreciate as soon as they leave the lot (not like id ever sell the bike without buyin another new one)...these A$$es for friends enjoy saying things like its not practical....worst investment ever....you will die....pointless....but these morons dont realize people buy things for thier own leisure .....all of them would rather have some POS that gets them around....but i do have a couple firends that tend to buy a bike soon

comment as you like....i just like talkin about bikes whether against or with my view :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Dude just get the bike and don't worry about what your friends have to say. As far as your bike depreciating, I went and looked at the retail value of my hubbys '03 1000 and it came out to $7985. So there's some depreciation there. Don't let that stop you from getting what you want cause you said you wanted the 600 and it's awsome!

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Here is the story. How old are you? How long have you been riding for? Your riding skills should determin what you buy. If you are pretty good then go and get a new bike. If you are still learning then I would opt for a slightly used one. You can get a pretty good used bike real cheap. If you are mechanically inclined you should go the fixxer-upper like a wrecked one and re-do it. You could get a crashed bike for literaly nothing. Very cheap. Put some money into it and ride. Sell it for more that you paid and work your way up. Thats what I do. I started with an '98 cbr 600 f3. Sold it and worked my way up to a gix 1K. And put money in my pocket along the way. If you feel you are good enough then buy a new bike. They come with warranty's. The choice is entirely up to you. Dont let somebody else make it for you!! Get what you want and can afford. Be carefull and have one hell of a good time. Peopls that say it is dangerous just have not lived yet or are jealous because they cant get one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My response would be "Then I shouldn't buy a car because it will depreciate really fast once I drive it off the lot too." Same arguement, just different type of vehicle. IMHo any vehicle you buy will depreciate, except a select few of the exotics. Just get what you want and forget what they say about it. You have to be happy with whatever you buy and not to make them happy about your purchase. If you like it, get it!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill be 18 right away here....im pretty good at riding anything, any bike i have drivin i felt comfortable in a few miniutes on it.

Ive been lookin for a used bike since i was 15, from a 250-600 and found they all still cost a lot used around here. Now that im goin on 18 i decided a 600 will fit my size and those still only sell for 2000 less used and are about 6 years old. There really isnt to many bikes around here compared to other places so im thinkin on buying a new bike insted of buying something that someone used as a stunt/race bike and ill have a warrenty on it at least...

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
In that case I would just buy a new one. Another thing you have to look at is insurance. On a new bike it will be through the roof. On a used bike that you get for a couple of bucks it'll be cheaper. But as you say there are no bikes in that area to choose from. Well good luck in your search and find something you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don't worry about it. If a new bike is what you want and can afford go do it. But i don't recomend a brand new bike as a first bike though. Go get a good used machine. Be careful though, there is a lot of junk out there. Take a friend who rides to look at a bike with you so you have someone who isn't all excited about buying a bike. Trust me it helps. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Reyd1 said:
My response would be "Then I shouldn't buy a car because it will depreciate really fast once I drive it off the lot too." Same arguement, just different type of vehicle. IMHo any vehicle you buy will depreciate, except a select few of the exotics. Just get what you want and forget what they say about it. You have to be happy with whatever you buy and not to make them happy about your purchase. If you like it, get it!
Exactly, a car and bike are both going to depreciate. So get what you want too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
last year when i was going to buy a bike my parents and all there friends were all trying to stop me or at least keep me away from a 600...(they wanted me to drive a 250 cruiser...or not) One of my rents friends took a look at all the bikes i was forced into looking at to buy for a first bike and he said they all need many repairs that they wernt worth it...My uncle races in the VRRA if you ever herd of it and i talked to him on the phone for a few hours about what to look for in a used bike and all i could find around here were the negative things you dont want to see..bumpy front tire meaning wheelies and same for stopies as well as most of the tire curve being used meaning high speed turns and so on...so over all i think ill be buying a new 05 gsxr 600, its been my dream bike since i first saw one on the road when i was 15...i thought about the 750 cuz my rents pissed me off so much in the past about delaying me on a bike purchase, but i really dont think i cant handle the power to my size....real shorts legs, feet barley touch the ground on the 600

insurance isnt to bad...$1500cdn for a year with full coverage on everything or as little as $500cdn/year for the basic must have coverage

·
Retired Mod
6,899 Posts
When you say you enjoyed bikes since you were 13, does that mean you've been riding since you were 13?

Anyway, take the safety course!!! Take it!

As for depreciation, man, i'd say bikes don't hold there value as well as cars. Maybe because the companies redesign the bike so fast and often. Look around for used bikes, theres a ton of good deals out there. You'd be suprised what 5k can get you.

Example, friend is about to pick up a 02 F4i for 4500! Has only 3400, this bike is clean as hell. Thinking most bikes brand new, if you paid sticker, it will be close to 10,000 out the door.

Theres deals like this, just look around. Alot of people desparately selling there bikes. Sometimes people sell it along with gear too...that should def save you some money.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When i say ive been riding since i was 13 i was relateing to riding dirtbikes out camping a lot...i know there is a huge diff between street and off road...noticed that when i took the AMA safty coarse which i got 100% in. I was the youngest there and it was mainly people that have been the person sitting on the back of a friends or family members bike for the last 10 - 30 years, yet i had the best riding skills and the only one to ace the road test....3 failed!?!?!....they looked at me as one of those punk ass teens to when i came in for the coarse.

and if you would have read earlier i mentioned that i cant find great deals on a mint bike with low mileage....$2000 less for a bike thats about 6 years old with half its engine life used up isnt worth saveing that little amount of money for a sweet new ride insted :D

·
Retired Mod
6,899 Posts
well if you've been riding dirt bikes since you were 13, you def have an advantage over everyone.

and oh shit, didn't notice you were in canada till now. Prices i listed were USD. Maybe its hard in canada? Sign up for forums, people selling cheap like crazy. Maybe local ad magazines? Hell, maybe move down here....lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i dont know about that advantage thing...they should have known what to do on the road off by heart....when i told them i had dirt bike experiance they said your gonna have some tough habbits to break and are going to have a hard time getting use to some of the road bike features....like what??? turning off the turn signal....i freakin hate that thing

dont worry about given me US prices...i can basicly give a dead on guess to what it is in canadian for how much time i spent on ebay buying paintball stuff and searchin for a bike in the area

as far as movin to the US....i couldnt do it....i hate startin a new life, like when i moved to PEI luckily only for a year before we went back cuz it SUCKED out there....but then again thats where i rode my first bike

·
Retired Mod
6,899 Posts
a lot of my friends who ride sportbikes now, most of them have been riding since they were very young, dirt bikes and all. They are some insane riders.

You still have a great advantage over someone who's never sat there ass on a bike before, or have very lil riding experience at all.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
did any of you guys/girls realize if you became a squid with more and more skill with your bike over the years. I myself say right now that i wont be but who knows....another prob right now is the fact that some friends are also pissed about me buying a bike cuz they dont want to see me dead at 18/at all

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like have you been one to push your speed a lot on public roads as well as showing off doing stunts in public areas

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
good stuff :thumbup: ...they do some cool shit but i think its retarded to pull shit off in public...the stuffs ment for exabitions...cant see myself being a "stunna" any time soon as i would like to keep a new bike lookin good.....just thinking of that where can i get some of those side pegs incase i ever drop by bike....i could probally make some nice ones at work if i got a good pic :cool:....some asshole is bound to cut me off while talkin on his cell phone one of these days

·
Registered
146 Posts
True to that man, true to that.. Vortex Sliders are great because if you ever need to use one, you can just replace the slider that was damaged. Yoyodyne is similar too. Other types of sliders you have to replace both B/c they are only sold in pairs.

Glad to hear that you took the MSF course. Great class too. Don't forget to include the cost of gear in your purchase too!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts