Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if its a repost but im not understanding how your actual mph will be thrown off if you change your sprockets since i thought there was a sensor in the front wheel.
Hows this work

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
No sensor on the front wheel, it's on the front sprocket. The speed sensor just reads front sprocket RPM and any gearing change or change in rear tire diameter will effect the accuracy of the speedometer. BTY stock they are off by 5 - 10 % Gear it lower, down in the front or up in the rear or a shorter tire that error will increase. This error can be corrected with a Speedohealer or YellowBox.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
see i didnt think there was one either but i got into a big agrument with a kid from work that drives a 600rr and he was just absolutly positive that there was a wheel speed sensor and i told im there wasnt

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well im going to thread jack my own thread...just wondering if any of you guys know if i mix up different brand sprockets if it will damage anything or screw anything up...so say i have a vortex front sprocket and a rk rear sprocket or if i put a aluminum front sprocket and a different material rear...
please help i want to change my sprockets up soon
Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Get a Speedo Healer as soon as possible. Real easy to install and calibrate. Without it you will be adding extra mileage to the odo and it sucks to be doing math in your head while riding to figure out how fast the cop is clocking you at.

·
Premium Member
9,268 Posts
see i didnt think there was one either but i got into a big agrument with a kid from work that drives a 600rr and he was just absolutly positive that there was a wheel speed sensor and i told im there wasnt
I don't know about the 600 rr, but certainly there is no front wheel sensor on gsxr's. Triumph's still do them, and my RT has both front and rear wheel sensors (front for the speedo, and front and rear for the ABS.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts