Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Are you saying you did not clean those emulsion tubes??? Ok, we are kind of jumping around a lot here. When you take these carbs out (again) you need to clean everything thoroughly. Every hole, every orifice. Every tiny little hole in these carbs do a job. They all have to be working and flowing. When you reassemble, set your needles to the 3rd notch. Set the pilot screws to 2.5 turns out from gently seated.

You said you replaced the pilot jets, or are they stock? And to be clear, when you are testing, you have the full airbox on and closed up with a filter in it? This isn't like a car, it won't run right without it (unless you are jetted for it)(which you are not).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Sorry for not being clear. Yes, I did clean out the tubes. I do have the clips on the 3rd setting still. The pilot jets are the same size as I've always had,even when it was running good, forgot the size. I do assemble it back with the airbox back on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Would it help if i marked the throttle lever and the handlebar with, say, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, so that you can better know where in the throttle position it's bogging?

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Yes, that could help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I put tape on the throttle. after warmed up some, it does better to rev up but backfires at around 1/4- 1/2. I didn't rev it higher. I saw flames coming out muffler when backfiring. Is the 'driver side coil connected to 1 and 4? Just double checking.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
If it runs better as it gets warmer you are running lean. Raise your needles one notch.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
No

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
You need to raise the needles

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Damn, did I find crap now. My fuel line leaked. No. 2 needle and seat was not sealing and dripping gas into cyl. When I did try to start, The starter would not crank. Never did that before. Right away I thought hydrolock, took plug out,then cranked it,sure enough, a lot of fuel in the cyl. sprayed out. I then put plug back in, started it and then noticed FUEL coming outta the valve cover vent! I just filled up yesterday to the top. Drained "oil". now, I looked at one oem site and they want $67.xx for a needle and seat!?!? WTF? Anyone make a kit for all 4 where they're cheaper?

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Yes, absolutely. I used one off of Fleabay. Came with new bowl gaskets and seals. It was like $30 for all 4 carbs. You should just do all 4 and be done with it. You should also replace your petcock, as it should not be letting fuel by when not running.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
These don't fit mine. This is for a 91. mine doesn't have those brass pieces. the needle seals on the float body plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I understand those were for a different year, I was just pointing out you can buy the kits from Fleabay. If you look for a kit for YOUR bike, they should come up...

I haven't heard of ANY success stories rebuilding Suzuki petcocks. (Kawasaki either) Not to say it can't work, I have just heard 100's of fails. Better off just buying OEM, and forgetting about it for the next 20 years. If you want this bike to run right, you are going to have to spend some money. There really isn't any shortcuts. It is what it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My petcock finally stopped leaking. I guess it needed to be soaked in gas, so it wouldn't be dry. Anyways, I got it running alright now. It does seem that I got to throttle it at idle to get going,then I have like a flat spot right after trying to take off normally from a stand still. Do I just richen up the air/fuel screws a bit? after this "flat spot", it runs really well.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Sounds like you are getting really close. You can try to go a little richer, but you may have to go a little leaner. Possibly lower, or raise your needles by one notch. You could get lucky and get that stumble in the first shot. I had the same thing for a while, and it drove me nuts. Didn't get rid of it until I got new emulsion tubes. Might not be your issue, but it is common for them to wear out.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,911 Posts
Spyder could a slightly low idle also be a consideration?

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Yes it can have a lot to do with it. Needs to be idling around 12-13,000. Mine seems to be happy at about 14,000. You will likely have different results. These old carb bikes are very picky.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts