Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
then they will fear you
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 1k - recently installed the PCIII. Sorry for the long post but Now heres the issue I'm not liking. Without a custom map it's useless. I wasnt going to pay 250 to 300 for a custom map but didnt figure I had to have one. The maps they give you on line through dynojet did not work at all. I tired the map closest to my set up and even called dynojet and yosh also and both said it would be very close to what I needed for my bike and set up. Knowing it wasnt going to be perfect, I did believe it would make the bike run a bit better than stock. Hence my investment in the PCIII. Well it is not better running. In fact it is way off and power loss is very noticable and gas mileage dropped from close to 40 mpg down to about 32 mpg. I was expecting some mileage drop but way too much. I then tried another map that also reflected my set up and only got same result. Then I tried the stock map which was better than the others but still made the bike feel like a decrease in performance.
I now removed the PC. Well I used the zero map which is just like it doesnt exist and vvwwoollaaa! the bike is back to feeling stronger than ever and of course mileage back way up again.
Spoke to a long time mechanic and another person who use to do some heavy racing. I'm sure some of you know this but both said same thing. On contrary to what dyno jet would have ya believe and contrary to this thought everone has about getting a pc. It is not good unless with a custom map. The only way to do it correctly is to custom map it. The mechanic said it does happen but not too often when the downloaded maps they offer you will make the bike run correctly. Other than that they are usualy way off. can have same bikes with same set ups and yet two different maps requred. That alone, had I knew, is enough to tell me that there really cant be such a thing as maps for general use. This is where I feel that dynojet missleads us to buying the product and offering us maps on line when its not the correct thing. A map for your bike is just that. Its a map for your bike only.
With all that said. I am disapointed in the investment and did not want to spend 5 to 6 hundred in total for the PC and a custom map. Thats too much and had I known from the begining I never would have bought the PCIII for 275 in the first place. I just feel like all this hype out there about PC's is way over rated. However I do understand with a custom map if you want to spend the money or perhaps you do alot of racing etc then it could be a real good thing. But how many out there have PC's without the custom map and dont even know they are running worse then before. Must be alot. For 250 to 300 bucks it should do the right thing. May be not perfect with out the custom map but should be better than how you leave the showroom. especially after we put on our aftermarkets.
They shouldnt sell you the product as though your gonna be great with the maps they offer you. Thats the way they describe it on thier site. They should tell you that a custom map is not just suggested but required in order to benefit from the product.
I'm just disapointed and feel like a sucker I wasted bucks. I guess its my fault for not realizing a custom map is really whats needed but they dont advertise it as thats the case and it certainly not how its portrayed or thought of to be out amungst us fellow street riders. One of those things where we just think ya gotta have one but truth is could actualy be huirting ya if not done right with more money spent. I'm gonna sell the thing and keeep my bike running very well the way it was.
Didnt write this post for this reason but while I got your attention, if anyone does want to buy it. Let me know.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Right Dyno

NEWSFLASH...........Suzuki has a reprogramable ECU. Hence, with the right dyno you can have a custom map downloaded/stored right into your ECU. NO NEED FOR A PCIII!!! I have done this with all 3 of my 750s. Example, the engine was blown on my 01 750 last year. (from the wrong type of spark plugs). I put another engine in her and she is running just a hair off from the way she was running before the engine blew. The ECU held the stored custom map. I will eventually put her back on the dyno. Cause every engine is different, mileage, type of oil used etc. Hence the term custom map for your bike only!!! With the right dyno and dyno tuner, you can get the most from a custom map. And we know no 2 dynos will give you the same HP numbers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
from the get go i was under the impression that the base maps on the site are just that and thats with the little research i had done, i knew the bike was going to have to go on a dyno to tune it to optimum performance but with access to an in shop dyno wasn't a big deal from me. I usd the base map and we did some adjustments but i have dyno'd and tuned a lot of sportbikes,quads and dirtbikes and pc's have always made a noticible difference for the good. Im sorry to hear for your troubles but i always try and let people know that a true map with the purchase of the pc your looking at an easy 400-500 bucks. we charge 100 just to put the bike on the dyno and 100 for tuning

·
Registered
914 Posts
i have a pc3 usb on my bike and im running a pre-loaded map in it (one from powercommander.com) and i noticed a really big difference in the way my bike performs. the power in the bike comes on sooner and harder now then before. i would recommand on to anyone. and ill get even more out of my bike once i get her dyno tuned.

·
Registered
894 Posts
from the get go i was under the impression that the base maps on the site are just that and thats with the little research i had done, i knew the bike was going to have to go on a dyno to tune it to optimum performance but with access to an in shop dyno wasn't a big deal from me. I usd the base map and we did some adjustments but i have dyno'd and tuned a lot of sportbikes,quads and dirtbikes and pc's have always made a noticible difference for the good. Im sorry to hear for your troubles but i always try and let people know that a true map with the purchase of the pc your looking at an easy 400-500 bucks. we charge 100 just to put the bike on the dyno and 100 for tuning
+1

Are you talking "street drivability" or full throttle?

Ive put a pc3 on my 600 with a downloaded map (that i messed with a bit)... it did a world of good. same with my 750.

I have some doubts to posts about pc3's with downloaded maps making your bike run way slower or noticeably lacking power. The only way i see that could be, is if your bike is otherwise stock. Then there is no need for a PC3.

I mean, are you going to notice a massive difference with intake and exhaust and a tune. not really. whats 20hp here or there. Sure it counts at the track for a better time, but in all seriousness the only real noticeable difference are going to be power adders.

I have a wideband 02 so i can tell if a map is piss poor or not, and i have yet to come across a map thats worse than stock if you have mods done.

·
Registered
143 Posts
+1

Are you talking "street drivability" or full throttle?

Ive put a pc3 on my 600 with a downloaded map (that i messed with a bit)... it did a world of good. same with my 750.

I have some doubts to posts about pc3's with downloaded maps making your bike run way slower or noticeably lacking power. The only way i see that could be, is if your bike is otherwise stock. Then there is no need for a PC3.

I mean, are you going to notice a massive difference with intake and exhaust and a tune. not really. whats 20hp here or there. Sure it counts at the track for a better time, but in all seriousness the only real noticeable difference are going to be power adders.

I have a wideband 02 so i can tell if a map is piss poor or not, and i have yet to come across a map thats worse than stock if you have mods done.
mainly full throttle if ya want a noticable difference for street ridability put a TRE mod on the bike

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it runs like crap with a zero map in it, you installed it wrong, or you have a defective PCIII. They have sold hundreds of thousands of these things in bikes and atvs, and probably 75% of them are running downloaded maps with great results.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If it runs like crap with a zero map in it, you installed it wrong, or you have a defective PCIII. They have sold hundreds of thousands of these things in bikes and atvs, and probably 75% of them are running downloaded maps with great results.
+1 I think by now they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I gotta agree my bike has a lot of lag spots with the "taylormade" map ... It's been getting to me.

I put velocity stacks on today thinking it'd be even worse but it feels a little better... not to mention smoother.

However its completely messed up powerband wise, lag spots everywhere, i'm getting a professional tune, completely new map made for my bike Monday from Dyno Works for $250. we'll see how messed up it's been all this time ive been riding it. I bet it's real bad and I just got use to it lol.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
NEWSFLASH...........Suzuki has a reprogramable ECU. Hence, with the right dyno you can have a custom map downloaded/stored right into your ECU. NO NEED FOR A PCIII!!! I have done this with all 3 of my 750s. Example, the engine was blown on my 01 750 last year. (from the wrong type of spark plugs). I put another engine in her and she is running just a hair off from the way she was running before the engine blew. The ECU held the stored custom map. I will eventually put her back on the dyno. Cause every engine is different, mileage, type of oil used etc. Hence the term custom map for your bike only!!! With the right dyno and dyno tuner, you can get the most from a custom map. And we know no 2 dynos will give you the same HP numbers.
I guess you're referring to the TEKA. Eh, it's okay but does not have the range of customization as the Power Commander. If you are referring to the TEKA, yes it does reprogram the stock ECU but it won't let you go back to stock mapping. You are correct about needing the right dyno and/or tuner to do a TEKA. I've seen good numbers from a couple of them from AF1 Racing.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
As for the original poster to this. I think you could have done more research from guys "in the know" about tuning bikes. I'm no motorcycle guru and have never claimed to be. However, I've pretty much have lived on the race track for the past 7yrs and most of my friends are racers who have even more experience and/or work in the business of tuning and building race bikes/motors. Any of the advice I give on GSXR.com has come through experience or from the mouths of the guys I trust that can make my head spin with knowledge. I've always said you NEED a custom map to get the most out of any fuel management system (PC, Yosh box, etc). Every bike is different, even if you have the same equipment Dynojet says the download map or the map on disc is mapped for. Same with cars or anything with a motor/engine. You just don't plug something in and everything is perfect and you get every ounce of horsepower/torque you were wanting. You must tune it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
you are changing the whole fuel delivery system . what makes you think you can just plug and play and everything be perfect. as for me, i downloaded the map from dynojet designed with my mods. i then dynoed it and my air to fuel mixture was a straight line. even if i custom mapped it, it wouldn't do much. don't know what your bitching about. spend the xtra cash and get it custom tuned like it was designed to do. you are acting like a little whiny squid. do some research man. its there for the taking. PEACE

·
Registered
80 Posts
My last bike (B-King) got 20hp more on the dyno than it had just by the downloaded map from pc.
Think most people doesn't realize how cheap these horses are.
Try to find a mod which gives 10-20hps on the wheel for under $1k...
For my k9 1k gixxer ,it's pcV and autotune ,maybe an extra fuelcommander when they get in production

Here's a piccie of the dyno run with the b-king, I had allready fitted all the equipment ,and loaded up a map for bmc filter and yoshi cans.
Be aware that this is in din hp's ,so sae would be lower

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I guess you're referring to the TEKA. Eh, it's okay but does not have the range of customization as the Power Commander. If you are referring to the TEKA, yes it does reprogram the stock ECU but it won't let you go back to stock mapping. You are correct about needing the right dyno and/or tuner to do a TEKA. I've seen good numbers from a couple of them from AF1 Racing.
Yes once again YOU DA MAN is correct. The TEKA was used to reprogram the ECU. BUt why would I ever want to go back to stock mapping? Do you run a PCIII on your 750 on the track? Once you have your bike all dialed in with a custom dyno tune, why would you want to change anything, if you had a PCIII as well? I have seen a few people at the track fooling around with their PCIIIs in disgust cause something wasn't right.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Yes once again YOU DA MAN is correct. The TEKA was used to reprogram the ECU. BUt why would I ever want to go back to stock mapping? Do you run a PCIII on your 750 on the track? Once you have your bike all dialed in with a custom dyno tune, why would you want to change anything, if you had a PCIII as well? I have seen a few people at the track fooling around with their PCIIIs in disgust cause something wasn't right.
You are correct about once your bike is dialed in, you shouldn't have to change the mapping. However, a good percentage of racers have a race fuel map AND a pump fuel map so we can switch between the two for trackdays or racing. Some of the VP race fuels run between $9-$25 per gallon so on trackdays we'll run 91 pump gas IF your motor will run on pump gas. That's really one of big reasons for having a PCIII vs TEKA. Oh, I guess some of these guys are concerned about warranty work so you can remove the PCIII and the stock map is there. IF the dealership even detects that the ECU has been "re-flashed" with a non-stock map, then they might (that's a big might) say something to you. You are correct, it is funny to see guys trying to tweak their PCIII map at the track thinking they can do a better map without having a gas probe and a dyno. If you see a guy with a laptop and he's in and out of his bike, probably changed the map.

·
then they will fear you
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sorry for late responses but was unavailable last few days.

you are changing the whole fuel delivery system . what makes you think you can just plug and play and everything be perfect. as for me, i downloaded the map from dynojet designed with my mods. i then dynoed it and my air to fuel mixture was a straight line. even if i custom mapped it, it wouldn't do much. don't know what your bitching about. spend the xtra cash and get it custom tuned like it was designed to do. you are acting like a little whiny squid. do some research man. its there for the taking. PEACE
To answer ur plug and play question - Dynojet makes ya think just plug and play will be great and thats the only reason for my bitchy whiny squidy remark. I'm not killing the product here and I didnt expect it to be a perfect map. I can understand the importance of a custom map and why someone will do one. But (as dynojet would have ya believe) it was supose to make the bike run better even with out a personal custom map and it didnt. In my case the bike actually ran worse. So I can bitch and whine about that if I want after spending nearly 300.

As for the original poster to this. I think you could have done more research from guys "in the know" about tuning bikes. I'm no motorcycle guru and have never claimed to be. However, I've pretty much have lived on the race track for the past 7yrs and most of my friends are racers who have even more experience and/or work in the business of tuning and building race bikes/motors. Any of the advice I give on GSXR.com has come through experience or from the mouths of the guys I trust that can make my head spin with knowledge. I've always said you NEED a custom map to get the most out of any fuel management system (PC, Yosh box, etc). Every bike is different, even if you have the same equipment Dynojet says the download map or the map on disc is mapped for. Same with cars or anything with a motor/engine. You just don't plug something in and everything is perfect and you get every ounce of horsepower/torque you were wanting. You must tune it.
Thanks for the respectful response. I now know this too late. And wish I had spoke to my two contacts a bit sooner to get this same info or had looked into it further prior to purchasing the product. I totaly understand it all and wish dynojet wouldnt just sell ya this product with free maps like its going to make ur bike better when we know thats not always the case. BTW - I installed a TRE and that was a great difference in low end power/torque and happy with that.

Didnt say runs like crap with the zero map. Said I went back to the zero map so the bike would run like it did prior to installation and it did run very well again. Not installed wrong I assure you. From the two experienced guys I spoke to they both said most bikes will not run better with out a custom map to that specific bike. Truth is like I said I think alot just dont realize that it may not be better although may be closer on their bikes vs my bike so they dont feel any worse and just think its all perfect while it probably isnt. In fact like most saying in this post and the two experienced guys I spoke to said, Each bike different even with same set-ups so its highly unlikely a general map from one bike is going to make another bike run corectly or better than it did before. So, those 75% you say using general map with great results are probably not running better but just dont know it. If each engine is different so then this cant be true hence my bitch about having to get a custom map after buying the product.

·
Registered
914 Posts
im using the yosh r-55 map (the slip-on one) with stock or aftermarket filter. my bike runs great with this map. im going to keep using it until i get a custom tune.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I gotta agree my bike has a lot of lag spots with the "taylormade" map ... It's been getting to me.

I put velocity stacks on today thinking it'd be even worse but it feels a little better... not to mention smoother.

However its completely messed up powerband wise, lag spots everywhere, i'm getting a professional tune, completely new map made for my bike Monday from Dyno Works for $250. we'll see how messed up it's been all this time ive been riding it. I bet it's real bad and I just got use to it lol.
try the map for the m4 slip on when i had my K8 with the TM it worked like a charm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.