Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I was offering my advice and knowledge. If you don't want to take it, don't. I explained the proper way to set the lash on a trailer, unless you have a 10k Alko, which uses 0 lash. If you just want to fact check, call Dexter Axle (largest/best axle manufacturer in the nation).
NO SENSE IN TRYING TO CONVINCE HIM. OBVIOUSLY HE THINKS HE KNOWS MORE THAN SOMEONE WHO SELLS, FIXES, AND WORKS WITH TRAILERS(you).
HE OBVIOUSLY KNOWS BETTER THAN THE MANUALS THAT ARE WRITTEN BY TRAILER MANUFACTURERS. HE OBVIOUSLY KNOWS BETTER THAN THE THOUSANDS OF OTHER FORUMS POSTERS WHO MAINTAIN TRAILERS THE PROPER WAY. THINGS IN HIS HEAD MAKE A LOT MORE SENSE THAN THE ENGINEERING, PHYSICS, AND COMMON SENSE THAT WE SPEAK OF.

·
rotaredom
888,895,580 Posts
Really depends on how often you use the trailer, the load of it, and the distances traveled. Dexter Axle recommends every 12 months/12,000 miles. On my personal trailers, I do my utility about every 2 years and my boat trailers (have little 12' boat and a 18 1/2' bass boat) twice a year, but they are used a lot! When I take my little boat to the pond, the trailer just stays in the water all day when I'm fishing. This makes them wear out VERY quickly due to the amount of water in the hubs. My utility only gets used about once or twice a month and doesn't see very heavy loads, so I don't really worry about them as much.
Good to know, and thanks :clap:

·
rotaredom
888,895,580 Posts
An argument over trailer bearing maintenance, really? I would argue with anyone of what gloves to wear or how fat their mother is, but trailer axle bearings...really? Put on a happy face and lets get some trailer bearing communication going... stifle the hate k, thanks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I should not have attacked the way I did. I apologize for spoiling a thread that ImStricken took some real effort to create and has some good information in it. I should have phrased my criticisms in a more gentle way so that people could take them for what they were worth without getting distracted by the confrontational tone that I took.

·
rotaredom
888,895,580 Posts
I should not have attacked the way I did. I apologize for spoiling a thread that ImStricken took some real effort to create and has some good information in it. I should have phrased my criticisms in a more gentle way so that people could take them for what they were worth without getting distracted by the confrontational tone that I took.
Onwards and upwards, thank you :clap:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i went back and removed my childish remarks, as i too attacked.

its not about making things 'gentle' for us - as criticizing people who follow SOP's and strict maintenance schedules. the reason i jumped is, i made a thread on PROPER maintenance on a trailers' bearings, without the 'set it & forget' mentality. i didnt want a rookie to come in here change his bearings and never touch them again because someone(zippy) has had great luck in not changing his bearings in over a decade. thats all it is.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
hey zippy, if you want- post pics and any info in the LETS TALK: TRAILER maintenance, setup, restraints, etc thread. im trying to get as much info as possible in there.

when i was shopping for a trailer, i knew i would utilize the pit-bull trailer restraint system but didnt know whats the smallest size of trailer would fit everything. the more info we can get in there, the better for anyone new shopping around.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have a Chariot 5' by 6' utility trailer and was going to do my bearings when the weather warms up. Where is a good place to buy wheel seals and bearings if I need them? Are most bearings and seals standard sizes meaning I wouldn't have to get them directly from Chariot? Even if I have to spend a little more, I would prefer quality stuff.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have a Chariot 5' by 6' utility trailer and was going to do my bearings when the weather warms up. Where is a good place to buy wheel seals and bearings if I need them? Are most bearings and seals standard sizes meaning I wouldn't have to get them directly from Chariot? Even if I have to spend a little more, I would prefer quality stuff.
since many trailers are different, my best advice is take one side apart and look at your bearings. on the bearing will be a number.
use that number to order yourself a kit from etrailer.com.
ETRAILER.COM BEARING KIT CHART

on your bearing & seal will be a laser etched number similar to how this looks like:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just cleaned my harbor freight trailer, regreased it with red synthetic stuff, and it's cool to the touch after 200 miles.

It makes a big difference. The last thing you want to do is be stuck somewhere on the side of the road!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Make sure to check your lug nuts! I almost lost a wheel because I didn't. Ruined a wheel and three wheel studs. It was easy to fix since I realized it before the wheel actually came off.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
SO AFTER TEST DRIVING MY TRAILER WITH THE BIKE this weekend i took a 20min trip to the local gas station and put my hand on the hub to check the temps. Felt warm, just above luke warm seems to be running fine. i wanted to post on here for other to check their hubs as often as possible to avoid damage while doing 65mph with your precious cargo on the trailer:

As long as the grease isn't melting and flinging = you are ok.
Expect temps to run up to around 120.

90-110 is normal. the side with the sun exposure is going to get hotter - dont forget.

If you have brakes on your trailer here are the numbers:
180-200 normal
250 o-rings fail in covers
300 seals fail

AND REMEMBER = "The faster you drive, the hotter your bearings will get". And the high heat is what breaks down seals, which causes grease to leak, which leads to bearings to over heat & seize and that causes you to be stranded.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Is putting larger tires on an option to reduce bearing speed and therefore heat?
oh sorry - lol
yes installing larger tires/rims will work, but MAKE SURE YOU USE TRAILER TIRES ONLY! (car tires are not an option because they are not rated to hold that much weight.)

Installing larger tires & rims that will equate to the total width of the towing vehicle's tires & rims is going to be tough since we drive suvs & trucks often. and your trailer might have fenders that will get in the way.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts