Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and is my first post. I used to ride a duke 200 couple of years back. I rode it for 4 years then, i migrated to australia and i haven't ridden ever since.
I've always wanted to own a gsx-r600 now as uni days are over, i started looking for it in the market. I found a 2006 gixxer, it has done 50000kms and the right side fairing is damaged due to a drop.
They're selling it for 3k. Now, the thing is, since the ad is on the internet, idk if i should trust them or not as They have written that there are no mechanical issues on a bike which has done 50k kms on the clock.
in addition to that, he's not the first owner either. He said he's done only 300kms on this bike but the bike is reliable.
Idk if i should go for it. As i don't know if the bike has any issues. As i haven't ridden such a powerful bike, i won't know even if i test ride it. And if the bike has some moderate issues, will it be too expensive for me to fix? For example, i will have to change the fairings so, is it a good deal?
PS. I know i can get a sweet deal for 7-8k, but since its my first sport bike, i was thinking of not spending too much. Please suggest me guys.

thank you

·
Registered
567 Posts
Wouldn't really matter if it looked, and sounded like new, you will never be able to fully trust someone you don't know. All you can do is give a really close inspection, and test ride it. I really don't know if 3k is a good deal over there or not. in my part of the world, it sounds about average for a bike like that, that HASN'T been dropped. If it runs good, and pulled strong throughout the the entire throttle range, it may be a good bike. Anything can be fixed. If the fairings are just scuffed a bit, likely doesn't have any bends, or frame damage. Also, take note of how badly tortured the rear tire is. Take note of the date codes on the tires as well. If they are OEM, and still have tread on them, it likely wasn't beat on too badly. Check, and smell the oil. Coolant level. Brake pad life, and rotor condition. Just a few thing to keep in mind when looking it over.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
New Zealand and NZ dollars?

If so, that equates to about $1740 U.S. and I would call that a good to very good deal if it is intact and runs.

50k kms (31k miles) is not high miles for that bike.

Spyder13 noted good things to check, I'll add the chain and sprockets. If they have not been replaced, they are getting close or past due.

Since you are unfamiliar with the bike, it is worth paying a shop to look over the bike and check it for crash damage and general condition. You are buying a 14 year old bike so expect to spend a thousand on it the first year just catching up on maintenance. A lot depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

That is a smart idea to start back on something inexpensive. A lot of people drop their bikes in the first six months of riding.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
As a guide, I sold my k7 600 last year for AUD3500 with 48000km on it. I think every piece of plastic had a scratch on it mainly from the previous owners but a couple from me too.

The bike was mechanically perfect and I miss it every day.

When I bought the bike, I got a mobile inspection done. It cost me $250 but after he gave the bike a green light, he negotiated with the owner on price and got more than his costs off the asking price. I’d do that again.

If they’re asking $3000 for the bike and it checks out good, I’d offer them $2500 cash. Everyone in my experience asks for a little bit more than they’d take to allow for negotiating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
As for things to check - pull the seat and check the battery voltage when off, at idle (1300 rpm) and a 5k rpm. The only weak part of these bikes is the charging system.

With the current AUD to USD exchange rate, getting a stator or r/r from the US is now getting expensive. Probably still not as bad as the local dealers though.

·
SuperMod of the North
24,879 Posts
Welcome Sir. Any used bike is a gamble. That said, the last two guys to post here are the two I wanted to see in this thread, they are the ones I'd be listening to. Check it to the best of your ability and then make your decision. One thing I would add beyond the mechanical aspect of the bike is to make sure your budget includes an allowance for gear. Don't skimp there. Post up some pics of said steed and we will have a look.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I’d also run a rego check on the bike. Make sure it isn’t a write off or stolen. If you have access to the VIN of the bike even better.

The rego check is free. You can also get a report online that checks it isn’t security for a loan. That’s very important. I think that costs a few $.

As Tinsnips said, don’t skimp on good gear. And always wear all of it. I was stopped at a red light a couple of years ago in 40+C weather. A guy rolls up next to me and the only gear he had was a helmet. He was complaining that the bars and levers were too hot. I told him to put some gloves on! I’d rather be hot than road-rashed, any day.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
What they said, and Welcome to the 'R'!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and is my first post. I used to ride a duke 200 couple of years back. I rode it for 4 years then, i migrated to australia and i haven't ridden ever since.
I've always wanted to own a gsx-r600 now as uni days are over, i started looking for it in the market. I found a 2006 gixxer, it has done 50000kms and the right side fairing is damaged due to a drop.
They're selling it for 3k. Now, the thing is, since the ad is on the internet, idk if i should trust them or not as They have written that there are no mechanical issues on a bike which has done 50k kms on the clock.
in addition to that, he's not the first owner either. He said he's done only 300kms on this bike but the bike is reliable.
Idk if i should go for it. As i don't know if the bike has any issues. As i haven't ridden such a powerful bike, i won't know even if i test ride it. And if the bike has some moderate issues, will it be too expensive for me to fix? For example, i will have to change the fairings so, is it a good deal?
PS. I know i can get a sweet deal for 7-8k, but since its my first sport bike, i was thinking of not spending too much. Please suggest me guys.

thank you
Make sure you do a cold start and after the test ride shut it off and restart it a couple times. Ask if it has problems with intermittent starting problems. That's what I should have done. Ask if he's done anything since the drop

1 - 9 of 9 Posts