Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know, the GSX-R manual says the chain must be cleaned with kerosene. Today I was buying some lube in a accessory shop and I talked to the salesman about using kerosene to clean the chain. He said it dries out the o-rings, but as for me, I thought petroleum was used as a protecting agent against drying out on rubber! I used Kerosene for the first time yesterday and it worked great! I used about 100ml of kerosene and a paintbrush and the chain was like new. I hate buying those spray cleaners, they're expensive and inefficient! So does anyone know if it really damages the o-rings???:shifty

Thanks guys!

·
rotaredom
888,895,582 Posts
it will not hurt the o-rings at all, however if you cleaned and then never put lube on the chain sure it would. suzuki recommends using it.......... i think they know what they are talking about, they build the damn bikes...not a salesman at a bike shop.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know! Those guys in that shop alwas like to fool me and sell me pricy stuff that doesn't work. Last time he sold me some chain cleaning device. Never worked. I was so impressed with the kerosene I'll never use anything else to clean again! Of course i lubed the chain immediately after removing the kerosene!

Thanks guys!

·
rotaredom
888,895,582 Posts
I know! Those guys in that shop alwas like to fool me and sell me pricy stuff that doesn't work. Last time he sold me some chain cleaning device. Never worked. I was so impressed with the kerosene I'll never use anything else to clean again! Of course i lubed the chain immediately after removing the kerosene!

Thanks guys!
not saying there arent better methods of cleaning your chain. i always have kerosene around for cleaning things...tools, oils spills etc.. the stuff is dirt cheap and works great.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well, there are some petroleum products that will harm o-rings, it just happens kerosene and whatever they put in the pricey chain cleaners doesn't.

Correct.... I prefer #2 Diesel as it has even more lubricity than Kerosene and in some places is less expensive...

As mentioned, just make sure you use a good quality chain lube after..

Bob

·
Registered
86 Posts
Every bike manufacture says to use kerosene to clean you chain now. Its cheap and I got a cheap ($6 on sale) chain brush from cycle gear. IT works 10x better than the wd-40 method my buddy uses and cheaper. after I clean it I wipe it down give it a min to dry then a good quality lube.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Correct.... I prefer #2 Diesel as it has even more lubricity than Kerosene and in some places is less expensive...

As mentioned, just make sure you use a good quality chain lube after..

Bob
What exactly is #2 Diesel? And where do you get it? The only diesels I know of is the stuff that have at the pumps at the gas station (never really payed attention to them) and JP-8 with is what we use in the tracks.

·
rotaredom
888,895,582 Posts
in the winter allot of gas stations, normally truck stops sell #2 diesel. For the saving of inconvenience, just go to a hardware store and get a can of kerosene, not very expensive at all

·
Registered
86 Posts
in the winter allot of gas stations, normally truck stops sell #2 diesel. For the saving of inconvenience, just go to a hardware store and get a can of kerosene, not very expensive at all
Down in FL and south east GA I have to get my kerosene in the winter time and get enough to last me. Since winter time for karosene heaters seems to be the only time I find it. I usually end up spending around $5 for a gallon.

·
Registered
314 Posts
What exactly is #2 Diesel? And where do you get it? The only diesels I know of is the stuff that have at the pumps at the gas station (never really payed attention to them) and JP-8 with is what we use in the tracks.
Sorry, I just said #2 which is the most common and least expensive of Diesel Fuels.

#1 is used in cold climates as it does not wax as easy below 32 degrees but it does not have as much lubricity for thr the fuel pumps.

ANY Diesel or Kero will work.. Buy what is the cheapest

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Administrator
5,568 Posts
it will not hurt the o-rings at all, however if you cleaned and then never put lube on the chain sure it would. suzuki recommends using it.......... i think they know what they are talking about, they build the damn bikes...not a salesman at a bike shop.
The manual even SAYS to use kerosene for cleaning your chain...
Kerosene, JetA, Diesel, JP4, JP5, all have
varying amount of oil in them and will leave an oily residue behind and like all the others have said will not hurt the O rings in the chain.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts