Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
its not necessary, but usually better to have them match, because of the different shapes and compounds used. I've run mismatched tires before.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had a missmatch.. and that was the only time I wrecked... not saying my ability could have been the problem... but I have a feeling that contributed to it. I also have friends that will not even ride the bike around any decent corners.... just my two cents

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
No harm to mismatch for town/city riding. I wouldn't do it for track riding but some guys I know will mismatch Pirelli with Metzler but they are "sister" companies and basically same compound with different patterns. I've seen racers run Michelin H2 fronts with Pirelli Supercorsa rear also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i garee with you da man.. I never use mismatched tires. Most of my riding is done up the in the hills. I wouldnt trust my life on diffrent compounds. As far as street riding its perfectly safe to me.
aloha
D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm running missmatched right now, pilot sport in rear and I think it's a dunlop something in the front, feel fine.

The rear is brand new but the front is looking a little worn, maybe a touch scalloped to, I'm thinking of getting a pilot power for the front in the next couple weeks, would that go fine with the sport in the rear?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
i have mis-matched right now with different tread patterns and i'll honestly tell you that you'll defiantely feel a difference...i'm about to swap my front to match the back

the front tire tread grabs different than the back tire tread pattern and the back end feels loose at times...especially on the freeway with rain grooves. i suggest you use the same all around.

BTW ski yer a total whore !!!! :lol:
4k+ posts???? :headscrat

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dstrbd GSXR said:
I had a missmatch.. and that was the only time I wrecked... not saying my ability could have been the problem... but I have a feeling that contributed to it. I also have friends that will not even ride the bike around any decent corners.... just my two cents

ouch... :damn: :damn:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
usdm420 said:
BTW ski yer a total whore !!!! :lol:
4k+ posts???? :headscrat
your just now noticing that? damn dood lay off the weed!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
For normal street riding........ it DOES NOT MATTER. it only matters in aggresive track riding, where the temperatures and amount of grip a tire provides is CRUCIAL. Most peoepl will almost never get a tire to its full operating temp on the street, let alone its limits of traction, where the differences in tire will manifest itself. One tire might let go a bit different from another, and thus cause problems at tthe limits.

the ONLY thing you will notice on the street is different amounts of feedback from the tires........ but this is only if you are sensitive enough to what a bike is doing to know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
like i said...here in cali they have these rain "grooves" on most of the freeways...never had trouble until i swapped my back tire and the tread pattern was different

nothing drastic or anything, but it felt a little loose in the rear for the first month or so.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you're going to spend the money for the powers (which I just got put on yesterday) you might as well do front and rear. I got my powers put on for about $400

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Wow $400 for a set of tires..........

$200 a set for my Metzelers baby and they are PREFECT for the street.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I get my pilot powers for $250 at the local shop here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.