Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SuperMod of the North
27,253 Posts
I would think that indicates a deeper problem. You need to figure out how it got in there in the first place before you replace it. Did this just happen or has it been a problem for a while? Any issues with the engine?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that indicates a deeper problem. You need to figure out how it got in there in the first place before you replace it. Did this just happen or has it been a problem for a while? Any issues with the engine?
Well I knew what had caused it as soon as i seen it. I should have put this in original post but I had pulled the water pump off to change it cause the chain had broke and hit the old one. The wrong pump was sent to me so the bike set for 2 weeks and i didnt cover the opening with anything so the side of the motor open to the elements and it snowed and condensation built up in it.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Drain it, fill it, let it idle for 20 minutes. That should get it hot enough to boil off what's left.
Well I knew what had caused it as soon as i seen it. I should have put this in original post but I had pulled the water pump off to change it cause the chain had broke and hit the old one. The wrong pump was sent to me so the bike set for 2 weeks and i didnt cover the opening with anything so the side of the motor open to the elements and it snowed and condensation built up in it.
I agree w/ Chuck.
It's a small amount. I often see some white a rare bit after an oil change, etc. Condensation, etc.
You know where it came from. Do what Chuckee said, and ride it.

I'm not even going to start ragging on you about how in almost all cases, how bad chain maintenance has to be before you 'throw a chain' LOL
Oh- Using cheapo Red Chinese chains will break easily too.

Reactions: WhiteDeath

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree w/ Chuck.
It's a small amount. I often see some white a rare bit after an oil change, etc. Condensation, etc.
You know where it came from. Do what Chuckee said, and ride it.

I'm not even going to start ragging on you about how in almost all cases, how bad chain maintenance has to be before you 'throw a chain' LOL
Oh- Using cheapo Red Chinese chains will break easily too.
LOL I agree with you Todd 200% maintenance is key I try my best to make sure everything on mine his how it should be because I spend a lot of time in the mountains riding and your life depends on it.... I had just purchased this back from a guy chain broke on him and he had tried to seal the water pump but it was leaking that's what got me in my situations 'cause I pulled it off and then the wrong part showed up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drain it, fill it, let it idle for 20 minutes. That should get it hot enough to boil off what's left.
[thanks
should i drain it a second time after I let it idle for 20 minutes or so and then do one more change on it or should it be fine just doin it just the one time and the rest should burn out

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Oil floats on water. When you drain it, the water will come out first. The only water left will be what's been whipped into the oil and coating the internals. If you really want to be cautious, leave it open to drip drain for a day. When you idle it and get it hot, the water will vaporize and be pulled into the intake. When it cools, there will still be come condensation, but not enough to cause damage.

What might help is right after you shut it off, take the fill plug out so it can vent to the atmosphere while it cools.

·
Registered
520 Posts
What bike? Most get up to 220°F before the fan comes on. At that temp the only water that's there is in the vapor, which will be small. Drain it and just let it idle while you watch the temp. You could even unplug the fan and let it get up to 230°F before plugging it back in.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I don't think I'd recommend unplugging the fan. If the coolant temp is 220, the metals that are heating that coolant are hotter. Those same metals are heating the oil. Basically the engine is going to work like a whisky still and the moisture will boil off pretty quick once she's up to temp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm really late on this but quickly time is of the essence this harmless h20 will undoubtedly cause pitting and all sorts of other corrosion on internal parts the quicker it gtfo the better!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
^It's not good but it's not the end of the world. When a bike freezes and pops a frost plug in the head, the crankcase fills up with coolant. It can sit like that for months depending on when it's discovered. But normally all that's required is to install the plug and clean the gunk out of the head & crankcase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts