Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im new at this kind of thing and could use some help. I have an 01' gsxr 600. Im wanting to pop wheelies. I was told that if I drop down one tooth on the front sprocket it will help my torque, which in turn will help my wheelies.
How do I do this procedure? I need like a droping teeth from dummies book or something :) Also, once I get this done, does this mean I can just roll into a wheelie like in first or second gear? Thanks for the help.

Sorry one more ?. Do you think I should get a TRE also? I thought about droping the tooth in the front and getting a TRE, but dont know if that would really be necessary.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When you drop a tooth on the front sprocket, you will definitely be able to pull wheelies easier...you amy want to try that first, and if it's not enough, -1 in front and + 2 teeth in the rear will be perfect...no more than that though..also remember it throws your speedo off slightly, like I believe around 6% when you do -1 up front more when you do both, -1 tooth in the front is :thumbup: like going up 2.5 teeth in the rear..

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
By going -1 in front you will be able to wheelie "easier" but it will also come up faster and your gears will be shorter which means you will hit the rev-limiter faster and since you are new this means you will slam your front wheel down :D . Adding a TRE is nice too. You can easily power up first gear wheelies on stock gearing and at around 70mph you can even get 2nd up with some technique (not bouncing it up either). I have two friends of mine that can bounce up their stock 600's in 3rd all day. Just takes practice. My specialty is track riding but even my squidly wheelie skills can get my 600 up in 2nd without bouncing or clutching (I do have nice performance mods though :D )

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
you do not need to change gearing to wheelie. If you learn proper technique that is. My 600 is stock geared and will wheelie with ease in first second and third with the proper technique.

TRE will not help wheelies at all really, but is a worthwhile mod for the money.

Dropping one tooth in the front will make your speedo quit a bit off acutally. Stock they are already off, at an indicated 85 you are acutally only doing 80.

To actually change the sprocket though, you will need to remove the left fairing, then the sprocket cover, more than likely at least loosen the rear wheel and slide the axle part way out to give the chain some slack, then remove the speedo rotor and the nut that holds the sprocket. Not very hard at all. Make sure you get a sprocket for 525 chain, and not 520 chain as most are sold. 520 is aftermarket and requires changing both sprockets and chain. 525 is stock. if you do go with a 520 conversion you need to be sure to put the sprocket on the right direction to keep them aligned.

good luck man........... and use the right tools :thmbup:

·
Registered
812 Posts
tre

I looked up "T.R.E", is it really that big a difference. I'm really curious I've been lookin for something to give me the little extra power, and I don't want to spend the money on a sprocket. I already have a Yoshimura TRS, and just want allittle more.

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
a tre is gonna cost more than your frt. sprocket. kake sure you have a breaker bar or impact wrench!!!!! frt. sprocket 8$ give or take ive got 2 525 15 tooth!!!! 1 has never been used. 1 im gonna give to yellowman =matt for his 1000 i guess he wants to keep up[ with the busa's im still stuck riging 1st gear wheelies but im learning to get them higher and longer.im gonna tyry standing and bouncing up 2nd so wish me luck :headshake hope i dont die and the bike is so pretty i would hate to wreck it...baby steps right!!!!11 :arsenal

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
pimppapa1977 said:
I looked up "T.R.E", is it really that big a difference. I'm really curious I've been lookin for something to give me the little extra power, and I don't want to spend the money on a sprocket. I already have a Yoshimura TRS, and just want allittle more.

Thanks

man i paid $12 for my front sprocket... :lol: goo dluck finding a TRE for that much, even if you did go buy all the parts and did it yerself..i love being -1 on my 600..

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
TRE on Gixxer.com for like $15 I think.

You dont gain much power at all peak, but you gain usable midrange power. And it is plug and play, if you lift the tank and are not color blind you can install a tre

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Motojoe_23 said:
TRE on Gixxer.com for like $15 I think.

You dont gain much power at all peak, but you gain usable midrange power. And it is plug and play, if you lift the tank and are not color blind you can install a tre
Also for those who don' t know much about the TRE, it isn't going to give you anymore HP...like moto says it just apply's your power you already have at different levels. You will not feal a huge change, but you notice it is simply smoother flying through 1st 2nd and 3rd gears on quick runs...so just spend the pocket change..."average about 20 bucks"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.